Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 02:16 PM   #14641
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
... I wish W2R had been here - we moved and placed so many tons of pavers it's not funny. 13 yo son was a great worker. 11 year old quickly started whining. (We were paying them both $15/hour.)...
Looking good.

About W2R, she would outwork y'all, but I think her labor would be quite expensive, and way out of your reach.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #14642
Gone but not forgotten

Walt ,
I hope your stress test is negative . Please take it easier until then !
Old 07-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #14643
Gone but not forgotten

Rodi ,
I can not believe how expensive pavers have gotten . I had my pool deck & patio done years ago and it was $4,000.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:48 PM   #14644
Give me a forum ...

Walt, I would not stress myself until I knew further.

A man I knew got tired like that. He went to his doctor, and the EKG was good. He still felt not OK, so got sent to a cardiologist for a stress test. During the test, he fell off the treadmill, and was taken by an ambulance directly to the hospital. They found a vessel on his heart being nearly completely blocked and immediately put in a stent. He could be a goner!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-18-2014, 03:58 PM   #14645
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Walt, I would not stress myself until I knew further.

A man I knew got tired like that. He went to his doctor, and the EKG was good. He still felt not OK, so got sent to a cardiologist for a stress test. During the test, he fell off the treadmill, and was taken by an ambulance directly to the hospital. They found a vessel on his heart being nearly completely blocked and immediately put in a stent. He could be a goner!
Yeah Walt. If NW-Bounds story doesn't make you relax and not stress about it, I'm not sure what would...
Old 07-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #14646
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Last week I posted about the demo of our driveway. This week we put in the new one. And when I say "we", I mean DH, DS#1 and DS#2, and ME. We saved between 7k and 11k (depending on the bid) by doing it ourselves. Thank goodness for vitamin I... everything hurt badly at the end of each day. Today, DH is going to run the plate compactor to vibrate in the joint sand - and I can park my car in the garage tonight. Whoo hoo.

Monday:

Wed evening:

Last Night - all done except a few cut pieces and the sand. DH just left to rent the plate compactor.

I wish W2R had been here - we moved and placed so many tons of pavers it's not funny. 13 yo son was a great worker. 11 year old quickly started whining. (We were paying them both $15/hour.) 11 year old was shocked we (DH and I weren't getting paid.) Um... hello? Who would pay us. 13 year old made enough money to buy the parts for his super-gaming PC. 11 year has enough to buy an xbox 360 and 2 games. We saved serious dollars by doing it ourselves, even with paying the kids well above minimum wage.
Wow, BEAUTIFUL driveway, Rodi!! Also, just think of all the exercise you got, and for free. No gym fees. All that, and you still saved money compared with having it done professionally. I think your kids did pretty well, especially considering their young ages.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-18-2014, 04:01 PM   #14647
Give me a forum ...

Er, physical stress, I forgot to add...

Old 07-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #14648
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

As I was driving into town mid afternoon today to get a haircut, I topped a hill and something in the distance caught my eye. We had thunderstorms and heavy rain overnight (whoopie!) and it was still very cloudy but no more storms. What caught my eye was a thin serpentine shape snaking down vertically beneath a dark cloud a couple of miles away. I followed it up and saw it was attached to bottom of a dark gray funnel-shaped cloud.

I didn't believe my eyes at first and looked again, and then looked a third time to be sure. Yes, it was a tornado. By the time I found a place to pull off the road to take a photo, it had almost dissipated. And the time I got out of the car, fumbled with my phone to get it focused, it was gone. First time in my life I've ever seen one - wouldn't you know I couldn't get a selfie with it.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #14649
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
......my lungs hurt. At least that's what it feels like, to the point that I had to dial it back some a couple of times. I just chalked it up to the "ebbs and flows" of exercising - some days are easy, other days the same exercise is grueling, most days somewhere in between.
Yesterday afternoon when I mowed the "back 40" (actually it takes about 30 minutes) I was breathing hard which is not unusual because it is a steep hill, but I had to stop a couple of times. That was a first.
Called the doc's office and they had a AM appointment for me. That's good, but it concerned me too because usually it takes at least a few days to get in there.
Walt, "Lungs hurting" can be from a lot of things like allergies, chemical fumes, medications. Has it been very humid in your area? I do wood working, metal work, enameling, gardening, decorative cement work, pyrography and they all have fumes that can effect your lungs. Heck, have you ever gotten a whiff of some of those bathroom cleaners. My sister doesn't have bad allergies and had a problem a couple of weeks ago in a certain section of the park where she runs. The pollen was heavy there and she was fine once she got out of that area. I've never had a reaction to any medication and last month the antibiotic I was put on gave me shortness of breath. What was weird, I thought shortness of breath was something you felt in your chest/lungs, this was in the back of my throat. I was told not to worry that the shortness of breath that it would go away within 48 hours but it took almost a week. So maybe your "lungs hurting" could be something similar. Sorry for the long post.
Doctors usually bring you in ASAP if it's lungs/chest pain. Don't read anything into the fast appointment.
Please post back when you hear something from your test.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #14650
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice job Rodi, what an accomplishment!
Old 07-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #14651

Meadbh,

I hope that the fire was put out and your area is back to normal now.

Rodi,

Your driveway is beautiful. I love it!

Walt34,

I hope that everything turns out okay with you. I would take it easy until you know what is going on also. I felt fine and was healthy, until cardiologist told me that I was at a 5 times greater risk of having a stroke than a normal person. I am now on 2 types of medication and it seems like every time I turn around, I am getting more medical bills. Hope it is some type of allergy.

REWahoo,
Glad you did not get a close-up selfie with a tornado!
Old 07-18-2014, 09:38 PM   #14652
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Meadbh,

I hope that the fire was put out and your area is back to normal now.
Thank you for your support, Dreamer. Not quite back to normal. The fire expanded to 400 hectares but has now been fought back to 250 hectares, 20% contained. Water bombing and ground firefighting continues (with crews from as far away as Nova Scotia). We are still at risk of a power outage and have been told to prepare for up to 72 hours without power if that happens. This is hilly forested territory and an aggressive fire. Trees affected by pine beetle infestation are highly flammable. The weather forecast includes showers (good) and high winds (bad). In summary, things have improved overnight but this could go sour at any time. We will not rest easy until it's 100% contained. I'm predicting that will take another 48 hours at least.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:39 PM   #14653
Give me a forum ...

Nice paving job, Rodi!
Old 07-18-2014, 11:11 PM   #14654

We bought a new TV because the old one was failing. The old one (VIZIO, 46") was 3.5 years old and was purchased at Costco along with a Square Trade warranty (5 years).

The TV started buzzing so I called Square Trade to make a claim. While we were on the phone, some faint stripes also appeared so I snapped and emailed a picture. They reviewed the email while we were on the phone and determined our power supply was failing. He said it would cost $400 to repair (part and repairman to the apartment). I told him I didn't want to mess with all that and then have a repaired TV so he said he would send me a check for $399.99.

Our Costco bucks had just arrived so we headed to Costco to purchase a new TV which will also double as DH's 65th birthday present. We had been talking about getting an updated TV so the timing was perfect. Between Square Trade payoff and Costco bucks and $80 off, we got a new Samsung 50" Smart TV and another Square Trade warranty for $150!
Old 07-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #14655

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Please post back when you hear something from your test.
Oh, I will. I'm rather curious about it myself.

The casual way the doc referred to it was by itself a bit reassuring in that if he thought it was anything critical he'd have said "stop going to the gym" or "don't do anything that makes you short of breath" or anything like that. But he didn't.

He did say that he doubted that it was anything heart-related although angina sometimes presents itself that way. But I realize that at this point he's just making an educated guess without hard data to go on.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:11 PM   #14656

Walt, It's hard when you don't know someone but it sounds like you have a great attitude. I'm good about waiting for tests or having surgery but know that others panic. When I was diagnosed with cancer my family doctor was more upset than I was.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #14657
Moderator Emeritus

Walt - hope everything goes ok with your tests. Take it easy until your dr appt and heed his recommendations - there must be some photo framing that you need to do instead of working out or cutting the grass.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #14658
Give me a forum ...

Walt, Maybe it will be diagnosed as seniority.

Spent most of the last four days adding another source of electrical power to the mancave. A windmill. Mounted it on top of a 30 foot power pole which was conveniently located about 25 feet from the cave. Ran cable to the cave than, more wiring inside, to hook up a switch which dead shorts the generator output, they call it a brake. Then the charge controller which converts 3 phase into regulated 12 VDC.

Around four today the job was complete, the blades standing perfectly still. Dead calm. Some other time, will see if it actually generates power.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #14659
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Thank you for your support, Dreamer. Not quite back to normal. The fire expanded to 400 hectares but has now been fought back to 250 hectares, 20% contained. Water bombing and ground firefighting continues (with crews from as far away as Nova Scotia). We are still at risk of a power outage and have been told to prepare for up to 72 hours without power if that happens. This is hilly forested territory and an aggressive fire. Trees affected by pine beetle infestation are highly flammable. The weather forecast includes showers (good) and high winds (bad). In summary, things have improved overnight but this could go sour at any time. We will not rest easy until it's 100% contained. I'm predicting that will take another 48 hours at least.
Good news! The fire is 50% contained and most of the evacuees are being allowed to return home, albeit on alert. Firefighters will continue to work at extinguishing this fire completely, which we have been told may take weeks. This has been very well managed and I can't speak highly enough of our emergency services.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #14660
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Good news! The fire is 50% contained and most of the evacuees are being allowed to return home, albeit on alert. Firefighters will continue to work at extinguishing this fire completely, which we have been told may take weeks. This has been very well managed and I can't speak highly enough of our emergency services.
That is great news !
Closed Thread