Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 06:12 AM   #14801
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
Safety first when it comes to tree trimming around my place.

I'll jump out of perfectly good airplanes, haven't the balls to do that.

Now off to the Y for my morning workout. Ciao.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #14802
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
Safety first when it comes to tree trimming around my place.

Good chioce. I used to buy walnut logs from tree trimmers. Many were worth more as firewood because of the metal in them.

The guys that trimmed for a living, very special bunch. The older ones got very smart. Many didn't graduate the school of hard knocks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #14803

W2R - your bathroom project sounds like fun. I'm sure the handyman and plumber will come up with a solution. I'd be more willing to take the bathtub out (and have 2 showers) than give up a bedroom, from a resale point of view.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #14804
Moderator Emeritus

Went shopping for router bits and for foam board to mount a couple of photos for a photo contest. Got carried away and went into a Tesla dealer for a chat. Luckily cars with a 300mi range are no good for me. But impressed that Tesla is building charging stations across the country where Tesla owners can recharge for free.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:26 PM   #14805
Give me a forum ...

I am back at the metropolitan home due to an appointment with an otolaryngologist. My, it is hot here at 104F. When I go back up to the boonies home again in 2 weeks, it will be in the motorhome on my way to a 2-month trek. I still need to install another Fantastic vent in the motorhome, and change oil of the onboard generator.

I saw on the Web that gasoline price is expected to drop, and it is reported that at a couple of unnamed locations in the US the price has dropped below $3/gal. I hope my travel will be in that direction.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-07-2014, 09:50 PM   #14806
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
You may not believe it, but people have been successful in using an East German Trabant (remember those?) to pull down trees....
Didn't you mean twig rather than tree?

My mom had a 50' high spruce tree cut down a few years ago. The guy who did it was probably about 30 and was amazing. He had a light weight chainsaw and actually climbed to the top of the tree and delimbed it from the top down as I recall. Along the way he hitched a rope about 2/3rd of the way up and had me put just a little pulling pressure on the rope as he cut the tree and the top landed within a couple feet of a stake he had put down as a mark. Amazing. Only took him about an hour or so from beginning to end with everything cleaned up.

Similar to this but without ropes.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 08-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #14807
Moderator Emeritus

Celebrating the sixth anniversary of ER as a couple. Every day an adventure!
Old 08-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #14808
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Didn't you mean twig rather than tree?...
What people call a seedling was like a tree to that Trabant owner.

And did you see when the little car spun its front wheels on the grass when held back by the twig, er, tree?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #14809
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Celebrating the sixth anniversary of ER as a couple. Every day an adventure!
Congratulations to both of you!! What a nice milestone.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #14810
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well yesterday I tried a new frugal activity and let my 20 year old son cut my hair. He has no training but has been cutting his own hair for about 6 months. I figured 'what's the worse that could happen?'. As I always tell the barber, no one has ever cut it too short and it keeps growing back! So by this time you are expecting disaster right? Actually looks great. One of the best haircuts in some time and certainly better than many I've had. Seems he has a talent!
Old 08-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #14811
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Well yesterday I tried a new frugal activity and let my 20 year old son cut my hair. He has no training but has been cutting his own hair for about 6 months. I figured 'what's the worse that could happen?'. As I always tell the barber, no one has ever cut it too short and it keeps growing back! So by this time you are expecting disaster right? Actually looks great. One of the best haircuts in some time and certainly better than many I've had. Seems he has a talent!
If he has fun doing it too, I think you should get that kid some training! It sounds like he is really good at cutting hair. I am not sure but I would imagine that upscale hairdressers make a lot of money, when you include the tips.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #14812
Give me a forum ...

My Mom used to cut my Dad's hair. For the last 45 years of his life he never went to the barber. He was a civil servant and always looked well groomed.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #14813

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am not sure but I would imagine that upscale hairdressers make a lot of money, when you include the tips.
After few people complemented me on house painting jobs I did at my Mom's, our old house, and FIL's houses and said I could make a good living at that my response was that "Just because I'm good at it doesn't mean I like it".

Ordered two new smartphones for me and DW so phone-wise we're finally moving into the 21st century.

Okay, they're Tracfones, they're refurbished, and I paid $5 each for them. Free shipping. I don't expect high performance.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #14814
Give me a forum ...

I treated a small deck with a waterproofing, UV resistant sealant. Then I made pizza dough which I am refrigerating so it will slowly develop those wonderful flavors for tomorrow's pizza. After that I still had some time left over so I spent an hour or so working on my Italian using the Duolingo site. Oh, I also posted a lot of nonsense here.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #14815
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
My Mom used to cut my Dad's hair. For the last 45 years of his life he never went to the barber. He was a civil servant and always looked well groomed.
DW cuts my hair and DS. Just a buzz cut, particularly in the summer. It looks fine and is easy maintenance. We've got more than our money's worth out of the "buzzers".

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 08-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #14816

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
My husband cuts my sons' hair. He uses a flow-bee attached to the dyson. He trims up a bit with his razor and his beard trimmer. The cuts look good.

He also trims my hair. But since mine is waist length and only gets a "straight across the back" trim every 6 months, it's pretty simple.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #14817
Give me a forum ...

We worked a couple of hours in the morning. Then we spent the afternoon visiting the Academy of Science and had a picnic at Stowe Lake in Golden Gate Park. The planetarium show at the Academy was Dark Universe:

We visited the museum with a free library pass and DH packed the picnic so it was a fun, cheap date. It was nice to be able to go on a weekday when the museum and park were not crowded and there were plenty of parking spots.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #14818

Went on a two-hour motorcycle ride, first time on it for about three weeks. That felt good, leaning the bike hard over in some turns again.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:21 PM   #14819
Give me a forum ...

I was driving around town today and went past a bar that had this on their marquee:

"WATCH CUBS HERE. REBUILDING YEAR 106".

Old 08-09-2014, 05:30 PM   #14820
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I was driving around town today and went past a bar that had this on their marquee:

"WATCH CUBS HERE. REBUILDING YEAR 106".
Might as well be Greek.