Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 06:22 PM   #14861
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Went to Berkeley Springs, WV for lunch with DW at a Mom 'n Pop diner, we each had salads. $20 with generous tip for the waitress who was no doubt the owner's daughter. Walked around, wandered into the Museum of Berkeley Springs and noted among other things a giant crystal.

Always get the best food at the mom-and-pop diners...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #14862
Recycles dryer sheets

We have had family in town and been playing tour guide for the past week. Yesterday was paddle boarding and kayaking at the lake. Today was the alpine slide and going to the hot springs. It's been a fun week!

Old 08-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #14863
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Had our septic tank pumped.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 08-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #14864

Poopologists to rescue.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:55 PM   #14865

Went for a walk this morning, after doing a few errands. There's a wakeboard park nearby; often fun to stop and take photos from the fence line. Kind of risky though - these guys see a camera come out and they start hot dogging. The guy in this photo was no spring chicken, either lol.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1408049707.719644.jpg

Old 08-14-2014, 04:31 PM   #14866

I went out to run a few errands. DW asked me to pick up some clothes hangers, there's a Container Store nearby so I stopped in. They have every possible color, looked them over and asked myself "what color do we need?", saw my favorite color and bought a box of purple hangers. Go figure - I thought she'd be happy.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #14867

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The excitement never stops at your place....

It wasn't much better here. Gym day, I'm almost back to full bore and feeling great.

Spent an hour and a bit trying to figure out why the wireless network stopped working, only to learn that I didn't even need to have a separate wireless router. There's one built into the DSL modem!

It's been here for several years and at the time I didn't pay attention to it since we had only the one computer. Simply removing the unneeded element and setting up the other fixed all.

Played with the new small graphics tablet I got for the notebook computer. If you like playing with graphics Wacom makes some neat stuff.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:25 PM   #14868

Quote:
Thanks for the reminder. I need to get this done before winter. Weird thing is - I accidentally ran a sprinkler line directly over the tank access panel. So I need to take out a small section of sprinkler line every time it gets pumped
Old 08-14-2014, 06:34 PM   #14869
Administrator

Took my car to the dealer for wild, erratic warning messages concerning the brakes, ABS, and JSC. Got it fixed and got out of there for $0.00, NOTHING. What luck!

(Yeah, OK, I screwed up and missed a recall...). Possibly our time would have been better spent pumping out a septic tank.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-14-2014, 07:11 PM   #14870
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The excitement never stops at your place....
Oh. For a second there I thought you said "excrement"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I accidentally ran a sprinkler line directly over the tank access panel. So I need to take out a small section of sprinkler line every time it gets pumped
I'll trade ya. I spent the past several days (OK, 2-3 hours early every morning this past week) clearing out trees and brush that had overgrown the path to our septic system so the pump truck could gain access. Cutting the stuff was the easy part. But dragging all of it 75 yards behind the house to my burn pile was some serious work.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 08-14-2014, 07:34 PM   #14871

Quote:
Oh. For a second there I thought you said "excrement"...

I'll trade ya. I spent the past several days (OK, 2-3 hours early every morning this past week) clearing out trees and brush that had overgrown the path to our septic system so the pump truck could gain access. Cutting the stuff was the easy part. But dragging all of it 75 yards behind the house to my burn pile was some serious work.

Whoa! That's a lot of work. Mine is just in front of the house in the lawn. But I feel your pain with the burn pile. I have 3 of them drying out out now after the recent storm

Old 08-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #14872
Recycles dryer sheets

Had lunch with a ex co-worker and friend, just doing some catching up and he mentions a job opening that needs my talents as a Senior IT person, he asked me to send my resume to him later today. Don't understand, I have gotten several calls, emails, and invitations to lunch, this week, to talk to me about jobs that are open and I need to look at, they are offering good money (first thing I ask), but I really am not interested, but I don't want to hurt their feels and burn bridges with friends.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:52 PM   #14873

Apparently some people just don't comprehend the concept of "retirement".
Old 08-14-2014, 08:54 PM   #14874

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Ha! No hilarity... we were quite pleased that we worked well together...so much so, that we toasted each other's work with a shot of tequila last night!
My husband and I had to switch roles in loading and unloading our car trailer and parking in the garage. He use to always be the one driving and have me direct him. Only problem was, even though there were no accidents and vehicle was parked correctly, he wouldn't listen or watch hand signs. It took a long time to move the vehicles. I suggested we switch roles, I drive and he directs. We get the job done usually on the first try. I listen! lol
Old 08-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #14875

We went to a show last night to hear "New Flamenco". An excellent performance. DW had some moments of cognitive dissonance, saying when she shut her eyes it sounded like a classic flamenco guitarist from Spain but it was being played by a "tall skinny white guy from Canada".
Old 08-15-2014, 07:10 AM   #14876
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Thanks for the reminder. I need to get this done before winter. Weird thing is - I accidentally ran a sprinkler line directly over the tank access panel. So I need to take out a small section of sprinkler line every time it gets pumped
Just curious. Why don't you route the sprinkler line around the tank access panel?
Old 08-15-2014, 12:43 PM   #14877

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Just curious. Why don't you route the sprinkler line around the tank access panel?
Great thought! I think I will when they come to pump it this time. I'll have to dig back 4 feet or so in each direction in order to bend it enough to miss the lid, but that will be eliminate the future hassle of taking out a small piece of pipe every time they pump the tank.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #14878
Full time employment: Posting here.

My father in law is staying with us for a while in our guest cabin. The plan is to build another house on our property where he will live along with my DW's sister and husband, still a lot to come together. The FIL sold his house and had a lot of his stuff shipped here including some of his ham radio equipment, he hasn't used it in years but talks about it a lot.

Have spent some time over the last few days getting a radio and antenna set up for him to use. Radio is about 150 watts and I've strung a wire antenna between some trees behind the house. He isn't able to help much but gives me the direction I need and I've found a lot of good information online when needed. He's a retired electrical engineer/electrician so very particular about his equipment set up, lol.

I'm not a ham operator but have been able to get him going- he likes to work CW and you can see his sending skills were a bit rusty but already improving. We've tuned the antenna for the 20 meter band but he has made contact with others across the dial and really seems to be be enjoying himself. My DW is really happy that we've got hem engaged in a hobby as it gives him something new to do with his time.

I found an app for the Ipad that translates code by listening through the speaker, it's a bit hit and miss but when you hit the sweet spot, it works amazingly well. He was impressed by the technology too.

Now that we have the radio working well, it's time to see if we can get the antenna another 10-15 feet in the air. He likes to tinker but isn't able to do a lot so has lots of suggestions. There are also an amazing number of buttons and options on his radio and he's starting to remember how they are used. I've learned a bit and I'm able to return us to the basic set up when he sometimes gets too many options working and isn't able to send or receive.

He's talked with people in a few spots around the US and has been hearing quite a few hams from Europe as well. I know there are a number of hams on the ER forum so thought they'd be happy to hear about someone who has been off the air for a while getting back on the air.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:03 PM   #14879

Started the day with a walk on the beach with the dog and my sister.
Hurried home, showered, ran the vacuum, then took the kids and my sister to see "The Giver" at the movies. I had been worried, based on the promo, that they had taken a lot of license with the movie... but that wasn't the case. It was a great book, and they did a good job with the movie.
Now I'm waiting for my FLL Robotics team to show up. They should show up any moment. Nothing like a roomful of 11 year olds to amp up the volume in a house.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #14880

I went to the gym this a.m. for an acquafit class. Later I met former co-workers for lunch (I retired 7-2-14). I was all ears for the terrible and deteriorating conditions they reported at my former place of employment. I breathed a sigh of relief that I am now more or less a lady of leisure and accountable to no one.