what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning I loaded up a backpack with some food and water and decided to go on a bit of an epic beach trek. My best "guesstimate" is that I logged about 8 miles total. In all my years of visiting this place I've always felt I never had the TIME to explore like I did today. The beaches go on for miles here (Baja) with nary a soul to be seen - I only encountered people when near a resort and even then the beaches were hardly busy. I saw footprints in the sand that were not mine - but the creators of these sandy dimples were long gone. All sorts of fish were jumping beyond the surf zone with birds dive bombing in an attempt to catch them - I never truly appreciated how masterful pelicans were in the air, despite their rather comic bearing on land. Also saw frigate birds, ospreys, and some that I didn't know. A little dissapointed I didn't find any more baby sea turtles...the cuteness of the one I rescued a few days ago still haunts me. ;) My improved post-ER fitness had me feeling invigorated at the end of this...in previous years this would have WRECKED me. All in all a magical day.

Tomorrow will not be so ambitious...I am not budging from the poolside. I have a backlog on my Kindle I need to dig into. :)

That sounds like a magical day to me too. I hope you had enough sunscreen and a big hat!

You might consider Cartersville, GA just a short drive north of Atlanta, with some good restaurants, parks, lakes, and land is less expensive.

Got up at 4:00 AM for cataract surgery. Back now, very simple process. Right eyes a little sore, feels like there's something in there. Still very dilated too. I'm hoping by tomorrow it's un-dilated and I'll figure out how I'll see for the next 3 weeks. So far it's fair without glasses but probably not OK to drive yet. When I removed one lens from my glasses it's pretty nauseating and I'm not sure how long my brain might take to get used to that. I may be a little unique in this area as my uncorrected vision is something like 20/750.

I have had a couple of times when I could see a glimpse of what may be coming and holy cow, what a difference that will be.

Got up at 4:00 AM for cataract surgery. Back now, very simple process. Right eyes a little sore, feels like there's something in there. Still very dilated too. I'm hoping by tomorrow it's un-dilated and I'll figure out how I'll see for the next 3 weeks. So far it's fair without glasses but probably not OK to drive yet. When I removed one lens from my glasses it's pretty nauseating and I'm not sure how long my brain might take to get used to that. I may be a little unique in this area as my uncorrected vision is something like 20/750.

I have had a couple of times when I could see a glimpse of what may be coming and holy cow, what a difference that will be.

Glad to hear that all went well! That feeling that something is in your eye, will go away in a few days. I had the same thing. It took my eyes 2-3 days to fully un-dilate, but that differs for different people.

I didn't drive until 5 days after my second eye was done (12 days after my first, dominant eye was done). But then, I had Frank [-]waiting on me hand and foot[/-] driving me around wherever I wanted to go. Don't forget to get a new driver's license that says you don't need glasses, if you don't.

I couldn't get the lens out of my glasses, so I went that week between surgeries with no glasses. Not ideal, but hey, it's just a week.

Anyway, congratulations for getting that surgery over and done with in that eye! :dance: And thanks for reminding me - - it's time for my drops. :LOL:

Last edited:
Yesterday we went to visit DW's family, watched a football game, and ate chili that DW had made. Got back home then went to the ER because I was in afib again with a high heart rate. They got it stabilized in a couple of hours and sent me home. Today I made appointments with the regular doc and cardiologist for later this week. It looks like a cardiac ablation procedure might be in my future. Whoever said that "getting old isn't for the faint of heart" was right.

Walt, you sure [-]it wasn't the chili[/-] know how to screw up a Sunday, don't you? :)

Seriously, hope your docs can get you squared away, and soon!

Walt, you sure [-]it wasn't the chili[/-] know how to screw up a Sunday, don't you? :)

Seriously, hope your docs can get you squared away, and soon!

DW said the same thing about the chili - but it's her chili and the same thing she's been making for 20+ years. So I doubt the connection.

I'm hoping so on getting this squared away. I went to the gym today (ER doc said that with a BPM rate of 166 I'd passed my stress test) and everything's back to normal now. These trips to the ER are wearing thin.

Walt- hopefully the docs find a quick fix for your afib. Maybe they'll recommend "lifestyle modifications" - no more chili or football games. I know a guy whose cardiologist said "no more white sox games". Good luck with your tests!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Took 3 mile sunrise walk.

Packed and arranged stuff for drive to Ohio tomorrow.
Will sign off on the Ohio house and all the expenses thereof on Friday.

Pretty scary, Walt. I hope it doesn't repeat and that your doctors come up with something less scary sounding than cardiac ablation. You're braver than I would have been, going to the gym right after something like that. I agree, as good as that chili must have been it's probably not the chili.

Khan, drive safely and have a nice trip! So glad that you you are closing on that house. For a while, when the market was bad, I remember you were wondering if you could ever sell it. Now it is out of your hair forever, and you can continue making a happy life for yourself in Florida. :)

Wow Walt 166, no fun at all. I had the tachycardia issue back in May, it was pretty scary and I was only doing ~110. Ablation doesn't like anything to take lightly but if that fixes it I'd sign up.

Wishing you a speedy recovery from your surgery, MRG.

DW said the same thing about the chili - but it's her chili and the same thing she's been making for 20+ years. So I doubt the connection.

In Ayurveda (traditional Indian medicine), chili peppers actually are one of the foods thought to increase metabolism (pitta dosha). There was even a Seinfeld show on this only it was spicy Kung Pao chicken making George break out in a sweat and look guilty when he was asked about missing equipment at work by his boss.

Last edited:

I'm hoping so on getting this squared away. I went to the gym today (ER doc said that with a BPM rate of 166 I'd passed my stress test) and everything's back to normal now. These trips to the ER are wearing thin.

Walt, It could be the chili. Doesn't matter how long you've been eating it. Some foods can cause arrhythmia. Think about people and salt and high blood pressure. My uncle thinks he can still have salt because he always had salt so the salt can't be a problem.:confused:
My aunt had that ablation procedure and it cleared up all her problems. It took them a while to figure out what was going on because it wasn't showing up in tests or the monitor she had to wear. It was kind of funny. One of the problems she had was feeling faint while out walking around town or at the park. You couldn't stop her from walking. The doctor told her to lay down until the faintness passed. I'd come upon her laying on the side of the trail in the woods at the park or laying on a bench in town.

Wow... Lots to catch up on here.

Walt - my bff had ablation about 10 years ago. She'd had some a-fib but her biggest issue was racing heart beat when she'd get stressed. It's 100% resolved since the procedure.

Taking pictures of the backyard critters.
Theseus - your picture reminds me of the really cool movie I saw this weekend at the San Diego Asian Film Festival. It as a documentary about Tyrus Wong - he did much of the animation for Bambi. An amazing artist and really interesting guy. He was in the audience for the showing - at age 105!!! If the movie goes into wider screening - definitely worth a watch.. (Apparently it might get picked up for showing on American Masters on PBS). Here's a picture from Bambi
bambi-3.jpg

Oh - and I had a full day today.
Walked on the beach - high tide, low waves, but good form and great clouds at sunrise. The surfers seemed to be having fun.

Came home did chores -then headed off to get the kids, dropped older son off, then picked up my robotics team at their school (my son goes to a different middle school). They then presented their project skit to about 25 seniors at a local Continuing Care community. Herding 12 year olds is always a challenge. But they did well - which is good because the First Lego League competition is this Saturday.

I'm exhausted.

Attachments

• IMG_20151109_062858.jpg
    IMG_20151109_062858.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20151109_062902.jpg
    IMG_20151109_062902.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 15
Went to the new Orlando VA Medical Center (VAMC) at Lake Nona to meet my new doctor at the facility. No health issues but I have to see a doc every once in awhile to stay in the system since I receive all my healthcare from the VA.

All I could keep saying was "Wow, wow, wow!" It's the most modern, beautiful, welcoming, comfortable, sunlit building I think I've ever been in. The staff was pretty great, too! I love that the VA creates Women's Clinics within the large facility which serve women and are staffed by women. It's an hour each way but well worth the drive.

The new Orlando VA Medical Center at Lake Nona is located on a 65-acre campus in southeast Orange County. The 1.2 million square foot facility cost $600 million to construct. The medical center will have a large multispecialty outpatient clinic, 134-inpatient beds, 120-community living center beds, a 60-bed domiciliary and administrative and support services. The VA Lake Nona Campus is co-located with the University of Central Florida College of Medicine, the Burnham Institute, the University of Florida Academic and Research Center, and Nemours Children’s Hospital in the area known as the "Medical City".​

Drove from Cape Coral to Macon. Getting too old for 10 hours of driving; this was about 8.

Morning chores, then a walk searching out the steepest neighborhood streets for a good cardio.

Back home, I mounted up an old Shure turntable cartridge that I found in the back shelf I forgot I had. Took some time to get it all aligned and adjusted, then had a fantastic afternoon spinning LPs and grinning at the amazingly great sound.

Then set about making calzones: prepped the red sauce, browned up the Italian sausage, combined and simmered/reduced everything. Rolled out the dough - ready to go into the oven to time dinner when DW and DS get home.

After that - guilty pleasure: Agents of Shield.

I drove!

Had my day 1 exam at 11:30. I can see, and it's getting better. Just as WR2 suggested the little both some feeling in my right eye are gone. Doc checked implant and it's perfect. My vision uncorrected was 20/30 from both eyes. With just my right I'm hitting 20/25. There's a big difference in today from yesterday and from early morning to evening. He said I was good to drive if needed. Interesting when I asked about my licence restrictions he said to wait till my second eye was done, in the interm just carry my glasses. I mentioned I can't use them lens in or out as my brain isn't buying the image, he repeated just carry. Well he probably won't be out much if I get a ticket.

Well he probably won't be out much if I get a ticket.

Perhaps in addition to the glasses carry with you some supporting documentation about the cataract surgery that has dates on it.

I'm a retired police officer. If I stopped someone with a glasses restriction w/o glasses they got a ticket for it. It never happened to me, but if they'd had supporting documentation from doctor/hospital showing a dramatic and recent change to better vision I'd have believed the story.

Perhaps in addition to the glasses carry with you some supporting documentation about the cataract surgery that has dates on it.

I'm a retired police officer. If I stopped someone with a glasses restriction w/o glasses they got a ticket for it. It never happened to me, but if they'd had supporting documentation from doctor/hospital showing a dramatic and recent change to better vision I'd have believed the story.

Thank you, brilliant idea really. I'll have my glasses with no right lens, forms with dates and a copy of the implants script.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom