Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #14921
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Back home last night after a two-day couples golf trip to Quebec with some friends. We has a lot of fun and some great food. A bit more alcohol than I am used to as they like to imbibe more than us but we had a lot of fun and laughs. Very nice getaway.

I played well the first day (one of my best outing of the year) and as a result had great expectations for the second day, but quickly came back to earth. No lost balls either day (36 holes) which is unusual for me.

Back to reality.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #14922

Just had three huge ash trees taken down. They were close enough to the house that DW was worried about them coming down in a storm. Perfectly healthy two years ago, but perfectly dead now, thanks to the emerald ash borer.

Good service from the tree company. They were here just over four hours and cleaned up the yard pretty well. Left me the logs for what will probably be about five years worth in my fireplace.

Interesting process. I got four quotes. Threw out the high and low as being unrealistic, then picked one of the middle two (which also happened to be the biggest company) based on how soon they could do the job.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:54 PM   #14923

As a result of Davemartin88's post I spent a good part of yesterday and today looking up stuff on CNC router machines. While they're not quite ready for the person not willing to spend considerable time learning to use one they're getting there. And while they're still a bit expensive for a hobbyist the prices are well below five figures. I saw several around $3k for what looked like solid, usable machines.

I can see why a serious woodworker hobbyist would want one in his shop. The examples I saw of elaborate and precise wood carving were in some cases beyond amazing and well into astonishing, stuff that would take years to do by hand.

And there are a number of places that will make your photo into an engraving on wood, granite, glass, or almost any other material you can think of for a reasonable price, usually around $50-$80 depending on size and material.

It's just interesting stuff to learn about.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:01 PM   #14924
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just had three huge ash trees taken down. ..........
Good call. We've been devastated by the ash borer and find the trees soon fall over, breaking right at the base or a few feet up. But in any case, very unstable once dead.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #14925
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Good call. We've been devastated by the ash borer and find the trees soon fall over, breaking right at the base or a few feet up. But in any case, very unstable once dead.
We used to call dead trees, broken down limbs etc. "widow makers", for a very good reason. Be careful.

Good call on going with the bid process and with a larger operation. While I love smaller independent companies tree trimmers are 'special'. Takes a lot of nerve to do that job, lot of skill that can only be acquired by doing, lot of luck when it comes to long term survival. Many will opt to go without all the insurance they should have. Some have been known to not tell the truth.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #14926

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
We used to call dead trees, broken down limbs etc. "widow makers", for a very good reason. Be careful.
I could have taken them down myself, but I called the pros for these because of their size and proximity to the house.

I have a bunch more that are not as big and farther away. I'll probably take a few down myself this fall, but most of them will be fine taking their natural course.

I hate to cut down a tree because even during all the stages of its death and decomposition it provides habitat for many different kinds of critters.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #14927
Give me a forum ...

DW had her quilt group over for a meeting so I helped her clean the house this morning. Mid day I was visiting my Mom and turned my ankle. probably just a simple sprain but sore as all get out, so I relaxed and iced it for the afternoon. Now sitting out on my deck and my neighbor a couple houses down the road (~150' or so away) is playing his banjo and the sound carries great over the water. Luckily, he's pretty good so it is enjoyable.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 08-20-2014, 05:52 PM   #14928
Give me a forum ...

Went out and looked at another house some flippers want a loan on - they buy at remarkable prices, have a great vision/taste/execution team, and sell fast and at good prices. Ordered some Thai food and called them up and arranged to loan on three of their flips. For unknown reasons we are very comfortable loaning 20x what makes us stew and fret on index fund purchases. Should bring in about 13% annualized for the next 4 months. Meanwhile we are buying 2/3 total US and 1/3 total foreign at 10k a week for the next 2 1/2 months. SO insists on updating stock prices daily, even though I insist that is just a way of creating pain with an investment designed to have NOTHING done with it for years.

Readying the upstairs of our garage for a visitor next month and spent some time up there admiring the work we did 15 years ago - very calming restful spot with some smart stuff, like the 5 gallon 120v water heater under the sink that can be switched on or off and the gym floor finished subfloor as a finished floor with oriental carpet. Looked great once we beat back the cobwebs and pottery studio dust.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:59 PM   #14929
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Endoscopy and colonoscopy. Doneoscomy!
Old 08-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #14930
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Spent the afternoon and evening photographing guitars. Examples on the photo thread, so I won't duplicate them here...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #14931

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Hope all went well.
Thanks for the tip on Schatzki ring - I am also a proud member of the duoscopy elite. Trying to avoid adding cystoscopy for the trioscopy trifecta.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:13 PM   #14932
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Whoa! Now that's multitasking! I had the same done 10 years ago and wondered while looking at the monitor - which end is it showing?
Hope all is well!
Old 08-21-2014, 06:44 AM   #14933
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Did they meet in the middle?

After an experience like that you need a little pick me up....

Old 08-21-2014, 06:57 AM   #14934
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
............I hate to cut down a tree because even during all the stages of its death and decomposition it provides habitat for many different kinds of critters.
Me, too. I try to keep a dead tree standing, but the ash trees don't stand long and in our area have causes lots of power failures because they topple over the power lines.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:16 AM   #14935
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Did they meet in the middle?
Not sure...but they sent me home with a series of photos taken during the procedure. I thought it strange that the last photo from the group labeled "colonoscopy" was this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colonsoscopy 23.jpg (17.3 KB, 202 views)
Old 08-21-2014, 08:51 AM   #14936
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
As a result of Davemartin88's post I spent a good part of yesterday and today looking up stuff on CNC router machines. While they're not quite ready for the person not willing to spend considerable time learning to use one they're getting there. And while they're still a bit expensive for a hobbyist the prices are well below five figures. I saw several around $3k for what looked like solid, usable machines.
Walt34, you're right, still a bit of a science experiment in some areas but if you have time to devote, you can make some amazing stuff. So far, I've just scratched the surface of what the machines and software can do. I've done a few small projects like signs for some local people and for some of the charity efforts we're involved with as well. I've made a few gifts for people as well and I enjoy the time spent.

I had a portable sawmill for a number of years that I ran as a part time job to support my workshop and hobbies. I sold the mill last year and was able to recover almost everything I had paid for it so decided to use some of the money to buy the router. I can't justify it financially but I still like having it!

Thanks to all for the nice comments on the photo I carved, as I do more, will try to post a few more examples.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #14937
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Thanks to all for the nice comments on the photo I carved, as I do more, will try to post a few more examples.
Will be looking forward to more posts of examples, Dave. I sent the Photocarve program idea to my son, who has a home built CNC router. He was quite interested. So far he's using it mostly for RC airplane parts and guitar bodies.

Thanks for sharing the pretty and unique work.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Old 08-21-2014, 04:36 PM   #14938

Had to learn about contra expenses today.

DH just started doing independent consulting and I've been working out how to keep track of him income, expenses and reimbursable expenses.

Took me awhile to figure out that expense reimbursement wasn't income but rather a contra expense... who knew? Not this financially allergic project manager!

But I guess if I can learn about Index funds I can learn about contra expenses :-)
Old 08-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #14939
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Got up at o-dark-thirty to drive husband (that still sounds weird) to airport after two week visit.
Didn't go for daily walk because it rained most of the day.
Roof has a new leak.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:52 PM   #14940
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Got up at o-dark-thirty to drive husband (that still sounds weird) to airport after two week visit.
Didn't go for daily walk because it rained most of the day.
Roof has a new leak.
Hi Khan, good to hear from you. When are you moving to Florida?
Closed Thread