Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 05:50 PM   #14941
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Not sure, we're negotiating.
December '15 at latest.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2014, 06:29 PM   #14942
Moderator Emeritus

Reviewed and signed off on more patent paperwork.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:23 PM   #14943

DW's niece and her baby came to SIL's for a visit, of course DW wanted to go, and since we had nothing else planned spent the day over there.

This is Rex:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rex.jpg (93.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #14944
Full time employment: Posting here.

Spent some time in the workshop. Did a couple of new lithographs carved from Corian and made a frame from some cherry wood. I ordered some LED's and controllers to light the frame from the back but they are coming from China so may be a few days. These are from pictures of my mom and dad in the early 40's, just after they were married.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #14945
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
DW's niece and her baby came to SIL's for a visit, of course DW wanted to go, and since we had nothing else planned spent the day over there.

This is Rex:
Great shot, love the lighting!
Old 08-22-2014, 08:56 PM   #14946

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Great shot, love the lighting!
Thanks, in that one it is some window lighting but there are two Nikon SB-900's, one on an end table and one on the fireplace mantel, both bouncing off the wall/ceiling behind me. That way those become the light source, not the strobes themselves and you get that even lighting.

Shoot in manual to match the light outside so the windows don't get blown out (just a big blob of light if anyone doesn't know what that means) and the strobes follow along in TTL.

Of course then they pick up the color of the wall and I use a shot of an X-rite Colorchecker to correct for that in Lightroom.

This is DW holding the baby and her niece.

And this is why DW doesn't complain about the absurd amounts of money I spend on photo gear and software. She loves the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colorchecker.jpg (86.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DW_and_Rex.jpg (157.2 KB, 35 views)
Old 08-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #14947
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Started giving the chainsaw a workout. When I had the huge ash trees taken down a few days ago, I had them chip and remove all the branches, and leave me the logs cut in about 8' lengths. (It was a lot cheaper that way than having them cut the trees into fireplace lengths).

Now it will probably take about a week to cut all those logs into fireplace length and stack them to season for a year or so before splitting. Fortunately, my local dealer only charges $7 to sharpen a chain, which I consider well worth it.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:47 PM   #14948
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
....Now it will probably take about a week to cut all those logs into fireplace length and stack them to season for a year or so before splitting. ...
Isn't it better to cut and split it and then stack it since there is more surface area of the split wood that is exposed to air and drys out quicker? That's the thinking around here.

A non-commercial service in support of responsible home heating with wood - How To Prepare Your Fuel Supply

Quote:
Keep in mind that firewood only begins to dry seriously once it is cut and split to the right size because in log form the moisture is held in by the bark.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:20 PM   #14949
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Spent some time in the workshop. Did a couple of new lithographs carved from Corian and made a frame from some cherry wood. I ordered some LED's and controllers to light the frame from the back but they are coming from China so may be a few days. These are from pictures of my mom and dad in the early 40's, just after they were married.

They make a handsome couple. What a nice keepsake. I need to find some kind of creative hobby.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:38 AM   #14950
Moderator Emeritus

We went to see "The Hundred Foot Journey" today, following up on "Chef," which we saw on Tuesday. Very different. Much more story in tonight's movie, great acting in both. And both had exquisitely photographed food.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:13 AM   #14951
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Isn't it better to cut and split it and then stack it since there is more surface area of the split wood that is exposed to air and drys out quicker? That's the thinking around here.
You're probably right. I don't think there's a huge difference in my case, because the trees have been dead for a year. But I'll certainly split some of it now.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #14952
Moderator Emeritus

Split and dried wood also burns better (better being more surface area exposed and more completely).

(I used to heat my Connecticut home with a wood stove during the oil embargo years).
Old 08-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #14953
Recycles dryer sheets

Ripped out our old kitchen counters. New ones get installed tomorrow. So thankful we finally got rid of the old ones.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #14954
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Walked 18 for the first time in a while. Felt good...and didn't seem to affect my game. But, my feet sure are tired.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:25 PM   #14955
Dryer sheet wannabe

Woke up this morning about 3:20 a.m. to a strong earthquake. Big jolt and then rolling for awhile. We're about 40 miles from the epicenter. No damage at my house. DH slept through it.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #14956
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Glad you weathered it well.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-25-2014, 08:24 AM   #14957
Give me a forum ...

I just returned from a five day visit with my Mother . She is 98 and in reasonable health but aging has taken a toll on her hearing & sight .Seeing how small her world is now really reminded me to enjoy life while I still can .
Old 08-25-2014, 11:28 AM   #14958
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I just returned from a five day visit with my Mother . She is 98 and in reasonable health but aging has taken a toll on her hearing & sight .Seeing how small her world is now really reminded me to enjoy life while I still can .
I'm so glad you got to spend some time with your mom.

Yes indeed...enjoy life. Don't take a day for granted.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:52 PM   #14959

Two doctor appointments, one with the GP and one with the cardiac surgeon. Both say that I will continue to be a drag on the pension system for the foreseeable future.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:01 PM   #14960
Recycles dryer sheets

Technically, I know I shouldn't really participate in this thread - I am still working, albeit only for a couple more weeks.

Anyway, my day at work involved me falling into a pool of toxic sludge, up to my neck... skin very quickly started to sting and burn, and I was sent home early to shower the substance away.

I really can't wait until I can participate in this thread legitimately. These next weeks are going to be cruel torture. Why is it that my last job with my company is probably the single worst project I've been on in 24 years?

I suppose it will make my last day on Sept. 12 all the sweeter....

CANNOT wait to join the FIRE'd brigade on this site!