Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #1481

Not much today, working this afternoon 2 to 10.

Tomorrow is DW's graduation day! Big party planned for tomorrow night.

She has made noises about looking for a job but hasn't actually filled out an application yet. That's okay by me either way, I'd rather have a happy unemployed wife than an employed unhappy one.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2009, 08:53 AM   #1482
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
...Tomorrow is DW's graduation day! Big party planned for tomorrow night.

She has made noises about looking for a job but hasn't actually filled out an application yet. That's okay by me either way, I'd rather have a happy unemployed wife than an employed unhappy one.
Congratulations to DW
Your last sentence tells me she definitely has an excellent husband.
dh2b told me pretty much the same thing when I was trying to decide to FIRE or not.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #1483
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Did laundry today, so don't have to buy underwear.

Was a beautiful clothesline day but had to hang it indoors, as back yard was having major work done.

Drove through town, much mowing of 6 inch grass on a brief break between rainy spells.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:40 PM   #1484
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Took Nissan in for tire rotation and oil change. Took a long walk with DW. Roasting a chicken and carrots,parsnips,onion. The smell is driving me insane with hunger
Old 05-15-2009, 06:49 PM   #1485
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Your last sentence tells me she definitely has an excellent husband.
DW said something to the same effect on Sunday. Pointed to this in the paper and wanted to know when I sent the idea to the cartoonist:

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 05-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #1486
Give me a forum ...

Well, it's a good thing I'm retired or I would be ready to pull my hair out. At least I have the time to devote to this situation. Aunt back in the hospital this week. She did improve and is eating much better. Got her moved to a rehab unit at a nursing home.(Someone shoot me if I ever need to go there) But hopefully it will be just a few days to get her back on her feet. May be looking at hospice when we do get her home. I just want her to be able to live out what ever time she has left at home.

Time for a few med's.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #1487
Administrator

Hang in there, Dawg. Sorry to hear your aunt isn't doing well. She is really lucky to have a kind nephew like you around at this stage in her life. I am sure you mean the world to her.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #1488
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Hang in there, Dawg. Sorry to hear your aunt isn't doing well. She is really lucky to have a kind nephew like you around at this stage in her life. I am sure you mean the world to her.

Thanks. We have always been close, like a second mother to me. Just tough leaving her there. But she's handling it like a real trooper. Better than I would.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #1489
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to hear about your Aunt . You are a great nephew !
Old 05-15-2009, 10:42 PM   #1490
Give me a forum ...

Managed to get out of bed around 10 a.m. Had lofty thoughts of working in the yard, but I had an award's ceremony to go to later in the evening and I didn't want to break a nail.

So, just putzed around on the forum and replied to some PMs. Flipped through a magazine, finally got dressed and went for a tanning session. The bed was so hot, I had to stop by the grocery store and buy some ice cream to cool down.

Watched some tv and gave myself a manicure and pedicure. Went to the award's banquet where dinner was served and music was provided. DH received an award for Outstanding Jazz Performer.

Hmmm, long day...think I'll go to bed.....
Old 05-16-2009, 06:22 AM   #1491
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have school all day today 8:30-5:30.....we are learning Craniosacral....it better be fun!
Old 05-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #1492
Give me a forum ...

Meant to get the boat out of storage, but this changed my mind
NWS radar image loop of Composite Reflectivity from Montague, NY
The worst of the front passed just north of me - whew!
Hanging out, waiting for power out to happen if state main electrical lines get zapped.
Have Toscana soup in the crockpot. Soup is just like the one from Olive Garden - sweet sausage precooked without casing, cubed potatoes, onion, bacon, chicken broth, garlic, with milk added at serving time. Mmmmmmmmmm...
Old 05-16-2009, 05:06 PM   #1493

Removed boat anchor converter/charger from my Argosy trailer. Rewired DC circuits around fuse panel. Install new fuse panel, new 3 stage Xantrex converter charger. Still need to dress up wiring, passed smoke test, none of the magic smoke came out, it works.

Just remembered why I was never interested in empl*yment as an RV repairman. Gotta be a contortionist to get to anything. OTOH, glad to discover I can still bend into unusual positions.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:00 PM   #1494
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Gotta be a contortionist to get to anything. OTOH, glad to discover I can still bend into unusual positions.
Well now...hmmmm......
Old 05-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #1495
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
...Gotta be a contortionist to get to anything. OTOH, glad to discover I can still bend into unusual positions.
Darn it, bbbamI beat me to the punch.

TTIUWP (with a nod to FD)
Old 05-17-2009, 06:49 AM   #1496

Ahem..... No lack of imagination on this board..... Keep it up!
Old 05-17-2009, 07:59 AM   #1497
Administrator

Dropped in to the local Lenscrafters so that Frank could get glasses while he still has insurance (before his June layoff). I decided to get some too, since we were already there.

Turned out my insurance no longer covers glasses from Lenscrafters, so while he paid $40 total I paid $365 total (ouch! but I needed new trifocals and was there with the prescription in one hand and the super-cute frames in the other hand, and I have no willpower.) When we came back an hour later to pick up our new glasses, he got his and I found out that I have to wait a week for mine.

At least I won't need new glasses right after ER.

Then we split an order of fettucini alfredo with grilled chicken at a favorite restaurant... just the right amount for us and SO heavenly.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #1498

DW's niece and nephew outdid themselves at her graduation party. They did a "roast" of her, noting that it only took her 30 years to earn the BA degree, starting from the time she began classes at a community college in 1979. They played some music from the '70's, and read a funny script about what one can do in 30 years....

Pay off a mortgage, one month at a time.

There have been six presidents, most of whom served two terms.

... and so on.

The funniest part was her niece doing a "reenactment" of the graduation, dressed in coke-bottle-bottom glasses, false teeth, and using a walker with the school colors on the handles. They also gave her a hat, T-shirt, and sweat pants from each of the three schools she earned credits from.

We all had a ball, and her diploma is now nicely framed and on the wall here.

It only took so long because she spent so much time helping her brother with a severely sick daughter and some other family issues.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #1499

Walt, shows that your DW must be much loved by niece and nephew if they went to all that trouble. Tell your wife congratulations from me, it's a big achievement to stick it through 30 years to complete her degree. She is to be admired.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #1500
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations to your wife Walt. A big achievment. Also took some cooperation and good will from you, so congratulations to you also.

Ha