what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a turkey to beat the weekend rush.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Went to grocery store.
$5 for a frozen turkey with $30 purchase.
We have a freezer.
Will likely do so again tomorrow.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Since I cleaned out the garage yesterday (first time in over 5 years - it needed it!), I continued my productive streak today. I chalk painted an old washstand from my grandparents' house that has been in each of our garages for the past 27 years, generally gathering dust and clutter. I did two coats but think it needs a third, so I'll go back to Home Depot in the morning to get another jar of the paint as well as the finishing wax I forgot the first time. I also need to find some replacement vintage hardware as the old ones are in really bad shape. Good excuse to go to a vintage shop or antiques mall!

Getting ready to fix cider-braised pork chops for dinner, then I'll probably knit in front of the boob tube all evening.

Since I cleaned out the garage yesterday (first time in over 5 years - it needed it!), I continued my productive streak today. I chalk painted an old washstand from my grandparents' house that has been in each of our garages for the past 27 years, generally gathering dust and clutter. I did two coats but think it needs a third, so I'll go back to Home Depot in the morning to get another jar of the paint as well as the finishing wax I forgot the first time. I also need to find some replacement vintage hardware as the old ones are in really bad shape. Good excuse to go to a vintage shop or antiques mall!...

How about some pictures of the finished product?

Got the plow truck pulled out by the road grader. It reminded me of a kid pulling a toy truck with a string! Its amazing what 35,000 lbs. and six chained up giant drive wheels can do.

Went shopping solo. Came home with the essentials. Beer and some hardwoods to make Christmas gifts. Now gearing up for the first snow of the season.

Attachments

• IMG_3208.jpg
    IMG_3208.jpg
    589.4 KB · Views: 25
Walked the dog on the beach and saw them setting up for the 3 day breast cancer walk stop. The clue was the pink awnings and volunteers heavily representing pink in their clothes.

Called Tivo to cancel service on our older Tivo box (no cable card slot). Since Time Warner is going 100% encrypted I can't use this old series 2 Tivo box anymore. (Another gripe against Time Warner... and their latest grab for money.) Tivo CSR assured me that they would be offering Romio's for around $50 within the next week since they have a new model out. He waived a few months Tivo charges to give me time to take advantage of the deal. I'll return the small digital adapter box that Time Warner has forced on me as soon as I get the new Tivo box.

Then helped DH haul some sheets of Denshield out of his truck... We're finally getting ready to build the shower walls in our epically long bathroom remodel. (Started in March, suspended over the summer while we traveled... but no shower in the Master bath since March.). He's promised me it will be done by Christmas. Hard to push a schedule of urgency when he's doing the work for free and at his own pace. (And we have another shower - so I'm not totally stinky).

what did you do today?

Went to play serious volleyball. I was so done after two hours.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
Caught a red-eye flight to get home. Just woke up from a nap, and am reminded by this thread that Thanksgiving is just a few days away. More food and drinks, time with family. How can life be better than this?

Last edited:
Have acquired another $5 turkey.

Have acquired another $5 turkey.

I know you mentioned you were having duck for Thanksgiving so why all the frozen turkeys too? Are you donating them or just love turkey?

Went to the store this morning for some groceries and found several hundred newly cut trees for sale outside the door.
Really? Now?
:banghead:

Put winter tires on suburban and car.

I've been looking for a roll top desk for a long time. The antique ones are too expensive and the newer ones are usually made to house a computer system or are made of pressed wood. Finally found a solid oak one about 30 years old for a decent price. Got it set up and moved all my stuff from an old drop front secretary to the new desk.

Attachments

• 00J0J_4BmYE1WMV6V_600x450.jpg
    00J0J_4BmYE1WMV6V_600x450.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 27
Beautiful, Nodak. You did well.
I bought a similar rolltop as a young man for what seemed like a fortune to me at the time. Paid over $500 (the equivalent of about $3,000 today) but I loved it so much I just had to have it. It was originally made in 1915 from solid oak.

I used that desk for over four decades until I finally had to give it up. It got so beat up from my constant moving in the military that I just couldn't repair it any more.

Here's hoping you enjoy yours as much as I did mine. :)

Went to the store this morning for some groceries and found several hundred newly cut trees for sale outside the door.
Really? Now?
:banghead:

I went to the grocery store last night and they had the Salvation Army bell ringer on duty already.

Imagine being able to buy Christmas trees, and hear Rudolph music over the PA year round too? Would that not turn one into Ebinizer Scrooge?

Beautiful, Nodak. You did well.
I bought a similar rolltop as a young man for what seemed like a fortune to me at the time. Paid over $500 (the equivalent of about $3,000 today) but I loved it so much I just had to have it. It was originally made in 1915 from solid oak.

I used that desk for over four decades until I finally had to give it up. It got so beat up from my constant moving in the military that I just couldn't repair it any more.

Here's hoping you enjoy yours as much as I did mine. :)
This one has an unusual feature that I have never seen before. The two side wings with the roll top track in them are hinged and latched on the inside. They can be swung open to make an open flat work surface. Although I can't think of a single time something like that would be useful. The darned thing is 60 inches wide and 32 deep. More than enough work area. I don't expect to ever have to buy another desk. I thought this one was a steal at $650.

We each made a trip to the grocery store today to acquire $5 hams. Which were cut up and vacuum sealed and frozen.
Taking advantage of door busters has resulted in a full fridge and freezer.

Goose has been moved to fridge to thaw for Thursday.

I got a new battery for my Venza, to replace the one that has been in it for almost six years. It was time; we had to jump it three times in the past 24 hours just to get it started.

It took Sears two and a half looooong hours just to replace the battery. Either that, or we were stuck in a severe time warp.

We decided that was enough to accomplish in one day. :) Honestly I don't know how I ever had time for this stuff before retirement.

I got a new battery for my Venza, to replace the one that has been in it for almost six years. It was time; we had to jump it three times in the past 24 hours just to get it started.

It took Sears two and a half looooong hours just to replace the battery. Either that, or we were stuck in a severe time warp.

We decided that was enough to accomplish in one day. :) Honestly I don't know how I ever had time for this stuff before retirement.

What a coincidence. I put a new battery in my F-150 today. It has been barely starting for the last few weeks. I still had the original battery since I bought the truck in mid 2009.

I also started work on the cheese boards that I'm making for Christmas gifts. Probably going to make about 10 of them.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

If I did not have another car, I would drive to Costco to buy another battery and replace it myself right in its parking lot.

Time: no more than 30 min, but then I am only 3 miles from the nearest Costco.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom