Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 07:57 PM   #15021
Administrator

Today, we converted 30 lbs. of Roma tomatoes into 12 pints of oven roasted tomato sauce.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3959.jpg (496.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3955.jpg (614.6 KB, 33 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2014, 09:21 AM   #15022
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Today, we converted 30 lbs. of Roma tomatoes into 12 pints of oven roasted tomato sauce.
They look great. Brings back good memories. I made tomatoes confit with Romas one year. DW thought I was nuts doing the prep work. When they were done she wouldn't stay out of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-31-2014, 11:02 AM   #15023
Recycles dryer sheets

I've mounted my GoPro camera on the end of a 30' boom pole - now I am just hoping a pod of orcas swims by so I can get some underwater video of them. I am hoping the camera will also pick up their underwater vocalizations but I have my doubts... I think I might need a dedicated hydrophone to pick up whale sounds.

Just going to hang out on the beach today, reading, listening to music, partaking in the occasional adult beverage while I wait for some whales.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:55 PM   #15024
Give me a forum ...

Re-arranged the 8' fluorescent fixtures in the garage to allow me to store two kayaks near the ceiling in the winter. Pure decadence for one guy to have two 18' kayaks. Though the old wooden one will eventually become ceiling art at the mancave.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:42 PM   #15025
Recycles dryer sheets

Still waiting.... There has been an uptick in whale watching boats passing by in the past hour, so it might just happen yet.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:59 PM   #15026
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Got flowers sent by DH.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:04 PM   #15027
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Got flowers sent by DH.
How sweet! I love it and that was such a nice thing for him to do.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-31-2014, 03:12 PM   #15028
Moderator Emeritus

Took DW, niece, her husband and 2 kids, and MIL to breakfast. Cut the grass and played with my camera. I thought I had a great day until I read these 2 posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
I've mounted my GoPro camera on the end of a 30' boom pole - now I am just hoping a pod of orcas swims by so I can get some underwater video of them. I am hoping the camera will also pick up their underwater vocalizations but I have my doubts... I think I might need a dedicated hydrophone to pick up whale sounds.

Just going to hang out on the beach today, reading, listening to music, partaking in the occasional adult beverage while I wait for some whales.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Re-arranged the 8' fluorescent fixtures in the garage to allow me to store two kayaks near the ceiling in the winter. Pure decadence for one guy to have two 18' kayaks. Though the old wooden one will eventually become ceiling art at the mancave.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:06 PM   #15029

Slept in 'til 9:30, gym, made a big salad. A head of lettuce, bunch of celery, chopped, package of radishes, sliced, package of shredded carrots, one cucumber peeled and sliced thinly, two green bell peppers, one red bell pepper, and in a separate bowl (DW hates these last two items) three purple onions and three jalapeno peppers both sliced and chopped. Takes about an hour and fills a giant-size Tupperware bowl. This will last about 5 or 6 days for one or two meals a day.

When it's time, I chop up one (if it's small) or one-half of a grilled chicken breast and add the onions/peppers, a bit of shredded cheddar cheese and some dried Arbol peppers, chopped.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:16 PM   #15030
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Got flowers sent by DH.
It must be nice to have DH in your life.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:57 PM   #15031
Administrator

Went to the local cinema this afternoon with DW.

After the trailers, the lights went down, the main feature began, and the man in the seat in from of us took out his iPhone, turned on the flashlight, and began reading the book he brought along! He ignored the polite requests from nearby moviegoers and only turned off the light when his companion touched his arm and whispered something in his ear. Reading a book at the movies ... a first for us.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:09 PM   #15032
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Went to the local cinema this afternoon with DW.

After the trailers, the lights went down, the main feature began, and the man in the seat in from of us took out his iPhone, turned on the flashlight, and began reading the book he brought along! He ignored the polite requests from nearby moviegoers and only turned off the light when his companion touched his arm and whispered something in his ear. Reading a book at the movies ... a first for us.

That guy sounds like a Real Great Date.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:31 PM   #15033

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
That guy sounds like a Real Great Date.
+1

He better not try that at an Alamo Drafthouse - I suspect he'd be treated just like this woman was:

Old 08-31-2014, 05:41 PM   #15034
Administrator

I like their policy...
Old 08-31-2014, 06:33 PM   #15035
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I like their policy...
Me, too!
Old 09-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #15036

Wow, nobody did anything yesterday It's a rare day with no posts in this thread, that's for sure.

Started off with a 7am endodontist appointment to finish off the root canal that's been in progress since June. Two hours in the dental chair is not my idea of fun. And to top it off, now that the anesthetic has worn off, the tooth is still sensitive to lateral pressure as it as been since the original treatment. If it doesn't settle down in a few weeks, it's off to the oral surgeon.

Stopped for a Jamba Juice smoothie as a breakfast treat on the way home. Caught up with FB and e-mail and took a phone call for one of my volunteer gigs. The caller said it sounded like I needed a nap so I took his advice and slept for a couple of hours. At least I felt human after that.

After lunch, went to the grocery store. Got the mail (80% junk) and settled down here for my afternoon board fix. Now I'm going to watch a show on scrapbooking techniques - I'm going to an all day convention with classes on Friday so this will get me warmed up!
Old 09-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #15037
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Went to Ikea to purchase a high kitchen table, then assembled it. Did a few repairs around the kitchen as we decided how much to do for a light remodeling.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #15038
Give me a forum ...

I'll tell you bout yesterday. About 2 in afternoon a high pitched shrill noise penetrates the home. Sounds like a smoke alarm, no after pulling them down its not that. Well maybe it's the burgler alarm. Strange codes on panel?

Noise isn't coming from right place in room. By this time I'm up in the attic, looking for any electronic device.

DW called monitoring company, great service. Their codes are normal. She's going to have me do a hard reset with battery removed. Of course the key is not in the panel box, no access.

I go back to where the noise is coming from, absolutely deafing, painful. The gal from the monitoring sevice suggested 'sounds like an alarm'. I looked down to see a portable CO detector, no display lit but it's the source of the sound.

Then the fun of attempting to get it shut off, after an overnight bath, last I knew it was wrapped up in rags in a trash container shrieking away. Hope the trash guys don't hear it, and remove it. Next step will involve a .45.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 09-02-2014, 09:03 PM   #15039
Recycles dryer sheets

Mowed lawn, picked up more tool organizers and installed in garage, played pickleball, went for drive in miata with DW. Tomorrow its a bike ride and time out at the lake at a friends house. Life is good!
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-04-2014, 06:58 PM   #15040
Give me a forum ...

A little while ago I tried on my skinny jeans and was able to get them buttoned and zipped!

(ok, so I had to lay on the bed and when I got up my circulation was cut off. I put them back in the closet considering I prefer blood flow)

Hopefully in a couple of months I can wear them without blowing a gasket.