Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #15041
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
A little while ago I tried on my skinny jeans and was able to get them buttoned and zipped!

(ok, so I had to lay on the bed and when I got up my circulation was cut off. I put them back in the closet considering I prefer blood flow)

Hopefully in a couple of months I can wear them without blowing a gasket.

You WILL get there! I have a hard time keeping my jeans on (no wise comments, please)!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #15042

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I have a hard time keeping my jeans on (no wise comments, please)!
That's about as close to an invitation as I've seen....

Old 09-04-2014, 08:32 PM   #15043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That's about as close to an invitation as I've seen....

I knew there would be some weisenheimer!

Old 09-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #15044
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Old 09-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #15045
Give me a forum ...

Tequila makes your clothes fall off...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 09-04-2014, 09:27 PM   #15046
Full time employment: Posting here.

Up at 6:30 AM, eat some breakfast, photograph a dragonfly that's resting by the tomato plants. Then off to buy paint for a drywall repair that's in progress. After getting home it's off for an hour long bike ride followed by lunch. Then an hour or so spreading drywall mud. An hour or so reading about the race to develop the atomic bomb during WWII, an hour of harpsichord practice, 30 minutes on the flute. Off to fetch our free pizza from domino's thanks to the no-hitter the other night but I have to stop and take some pictures of the praying mantis by the front door. A quick shower to clean off sweat and drywall mud. Dinner with DW, then off to the first choir rehearsal of the year.

Oh, and time here and there during the day to check something called Early Retirement.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:33 PM   #15047
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
A little while ago I tried on my skinny jeans and was able to get them buttoned and zipped!

(ok, so I had to lay on the bed and when I got up my circulation was cut off. I put them back in the closet considering I prefer blood flow)

I bow to you (at least I would if my jeans were a little looser).
Old 09-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #15048
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Paid a friend of a a friend to dig trench for compost.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:32 PM   #15049

I took a 45 minute walk this a.m. while it was still somewhat cool. At noon I met up with a half a dozen former co-workers for lunch (where they all told me how well-rested and relaxed I looked; well, I am just that!). In the afternoon I visited the HR department of my old agency with paperwork they needed to sign from the investment company I am departing certifying that I was indeed retired and could rollover my 457b plan to a tIRA at lower-cost Vanguard. I delivered that paperwork right to the main post office.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:22 PM   #15050

Joined our local pickleball club last week. After playing today I was asked if I'd be willing to be the club secretary next year. Seeing how I'm still working I said yes. I can easily fit the duties in during work hours.

Now if I were retired I might have said heck no, that's too much like work!
Old 09-07-2014, 08:01 AM   #15051

Spent the day visiting the zoo with the grandkids and their parents. Brought along a picnic lunch for a most enjoyable time. It helped that the kids were on their best behaviour and had a great time.

On the ride back home DW and I discussed not buying any more stuff for DD or her children, instead using the holiday gift money to buy annual memberships in a couple of the local museums or zoo.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:29 AM   #15052
Give me a forum ...

I remembered to log on here.

Summer has been fabulous here, east of the middle of nowhere. We've had an unusually warm summer with lots of intense thunderstorm activity. My power surges (hot flashes) have kept me indoors in temps above 80, enjoying nice cool AC.

I turned 56 yesterday...which means I am now eligible for my FERS MRA+10 deferred pension. I filled out the paperwork and will send it in tomorrow. I could wait until I'm 62 to draw it, but I am of the "bird in the hand" camp. Tomorrow is guaranteed to no one.

Mr B helped me analyze the tax ramifications of the increased taxable income, which will be negligible. I will remain in the 25% tax bracket. If I add my after-tax pension payment to my already existing VWALX mutual fund, I can use it as a multiplier to earn some pretty serious TE dividends, on a 30 day compounding basis.

The loss of 5% per year (by drawing my pension at age 56) for every year I am under age 62 will be partially offset by the compounding power of the 30 day dividends earned in VWALX. Not completely, but again, a bird in the hand...

After 1 year of investing my pension, I will then be in a better position to loosen up the budget purse strings. I also have a 4 year plan in mind to purchase some waterfront property in the NYS Finger Lakes wine country, perhaps near Ithaca. I am looking at relocating from the lake effect snow belt from hell by age 60.

The chuckle factor I am getting from planning to use my hard earned pension to buy a lifelong dream house on the water at age 60 is immense.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:37 AM   #15053

On my way to our camp on the lake. 75 degrees, sunshine, and after the Labor Day crowds. 6000 sites, and there won't be 200 in use today, and maybe 50 tomorrow. SO!!! I am king of the lake, to canoe, and ue my paddle boat. Also... a sevral hour ride around the 43 miles of road and 13 miles of trails... and to explore the newly opened 3 miles by the river.
Afternoon will be sleep time. Bought 10 favorite CD's for $.10 each, so looking forward to another return to the 60's and 70's with my favorite artists.
Tonite, first dip into the 40's or low 50's, so bringing along my flannel bunnies.
Cheers... A great day ahead!!!
Old 09-07-2014, 10:13 AM   #15054

Just returned from a 6 day circle Lake Michigan driving trip. Drove yesterday from Sturgeon Bay, Wi through Milwaukee to home with several stops along the way. Visited several lighthouses along the lake. Yesterday was clear enough to easily see Milwaukee from Port Washington more than 25 miles away.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #15055

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I remembered to log on here.

I turned 56 yesterday...
Happy Birthday! And congratulations on making it to your goal for your pension.

I recently passed 59 1/2. That's significant for some people, I remember my Dad retiring at exactly 59.5 when he could start withdrawing from his TIRA without penalties. I only have ROTHs and not planning any withdrawls so not a big deal.

But at 60 I'll get my Ohio Golden Buckeye Card (senior discount card) and the monthly fee at the natatorium will go from $40/mo to $30/mo. WooHoo!
Old 09-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #15056
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
But at 60 I'll get my Ohio Golden Buckeye Card (senior discount card) and the monthly fee at the natatorium will go from $40/mo to $30/mo. WooHoo!
I studied Latin in high school but had to check to verify that I remembered the correct translation. Enjoy your swimming, Sue!
Old 09-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #15057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I studied Latin in high school but had to check to verify that I remembered the correct translation. Enjoy your swimming, Sue!
It does have 3 pools, a water slide, lazy river and kids splash area but I go there to walk on the 1/8th mile indoor track. The track is on the upper level and as you walk around you get a view of everything else going on in the place. It's a lovely facility and very convenient.

The Natatorium - Home
Old 09-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #15058

Quote:

So where are the pictures? All the wriggling makes for a good workout.

In other news I was in a Sears store for the first time in 20+ years. Necessary trip, my $3.- garage sale rotozip copy by Craftsman required a special router bit. AND got the last one they had in the store on sale!
Old 09-08-2014, 09:11 AM   #15059
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I turned 56 yesterday...
Young whippersnapper!

Quote:
I could wait until I'm 62 to draw it, but I am of the "bird in the hand" camp. Tomorrow is guaranteed to no one.
Shouldn't that be "freebird in the hand"?

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 09-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #15060

Started the morning early - met with younger son's school counselor to get his schedule rearranged - they moved his schedule to give him the most advanced english and social studies... They hadn't checked his previous test scores from last year - he's a great test taker. (The kid can fill in a bubble with the best of them.) I'm happy for a few reasons - more academic rigor with the new schedule... and since this is a large middle school, new to him, he'll naturally fall in with the smart nerd kids - which is totally the social group I want him to hang out with.

Went to Italian class - we got back our first test. I was sure I'd blown some stuff on it - but I must not have... My grade was the highest in the class. Woo hoo. (You could have knocked me over with a feather... I was *not* expecting that.)

Came home ... and studied Italian because this is not easy for me. I don't know why I thought I could pick up a language in my 50's.