Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 06:51 PM   #15121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
It's party time! One of DW's projects received regulatory approval today. It was 10 years in the making and required much work and personal sacrifice on her part. The bubbly is on ice, just waiting for her to come home.

Congrats to you and DW!

Bubbly and a nice walk along the Embarcadero! Gotta love SF!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2014, 08:24 AM   #15122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I quit running when I was done with the Army. No desire ever to do it unless some emergency would dictate it.
I was hiking with a buddy a few years ago, and we came upon a black bear munching out on blackberries. My first thought was "I don't need to be faster than the bear, I just need to be faster than my buddy". My second thought was "crap, he does triathlons and I watch TV". My third thought was "I need slower friends".

Luckily the bear decided to check the other side of the thicket.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #15123
Give me a forum ...

Watched these guys. Hope this displays properly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1410985195875.jpg (81.7 KB, 60 views)
Old 09-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #15124

Back online today after a long weekend at the beach in the RV. One cool rainy day, one cool day, one spectacularly perfect day - so it was a good trip. Intended to do a deep cleaning on it when we got home yesterday, but it was later than I had expected and then started raining. So the cleaning will wait until before we load up for the next trip in a couple of weeks. Took it back to the storage lot this morning on my way to a meeting for one of my volunteer gigs - only to realize after I got to the other side of town that it had been rescheduled for next week. Sigh. Drove back home. Got caught up on e-mail and other computer stuff including paying bills. Wrote a letter for a prison ministry group. Got ready to go back into town for another meeting - checked my e-mail just before I left and found it also was rescheduled for next week. So spent the rest of the afternoon watching interesting videos on the computer and looking at details to order my iPhone 6. DD is in need of my 4S as hers is on its last legs - that's my excuse, anyway ;-)
Old 09-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #15125
Give me a forum ...

We are still wandering around Nova Scotia, and will not get back to the States until fall colors arrive in New England.

My wife talked with another RV'er yesterday, and learned that the other woman is from Baton Rouge and has been on the road since July to avoid the heat in her state. Last summer, she said she logged 18K miles.

PS. And a few weeks earlier in Montreal, we talked with a couple from Alberta. The husband was originally Swiss, and the wife French. They were in no hurry to return home because snow already started to fall at home!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #15126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
We are still wandering around Nova Scotia, and will not get back to the States until fall colors arrive in New England.
So, next week, then?

Took a Maine vacation a number of years ago. Got there on the Saturday after Labor Day. Nice little place, but no heat except for a wood stove. There was frost on the ground every morning.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #15127

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Watched these guys. Hope this displays properly.

Something grazing behind the trees?
Old 09-17-2014, 04:38 PM   #15128

I got interviewed by the city newspaper! But the story won't be published until October.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:59 PM   #15129

Don't keep us in suspense!
Are you going to renew your subscription or not?
Old 09-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #15130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Something grazing behind the trees?
Thats what I was afraid of. Seven Elk, on my phone I can zoom in and see them. You might spot a bull on the right hand side, his rack is mixed in the tree.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #15131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
So, next week, then?

Took a Maine vacation a number of years ago. Got there on the Saturday after Labor Day. Nice little place, but no heat except for a wood stove. There was frost on the ground every morning.
There are a few places in Nova Scotia I still need to visit, so am planning on returning to Maine by the end of the month, or in about 2 weeks.

You scared me into thinking I may miss the fall foliage, but a quick look on the Web showed that I still have a bit of time. It will be the 3rd time we enjoy the fall colors of New England.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-17-2014, 07:50 PM   #15132
Moderator Emeritus

Day 1 of darkroom construction in my niece's basement. Built walls, rough electrical and hung half the drywall for the room. Hoisting drywall can be quite a workout for an old guy.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #15133
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

not a great pic, but it was a great day on the boat...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10676112_10203599343002945_2678862594900363710_n.jpg (52.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 09-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #15134

Did my morning walk at the beach this morning... first morning in 2 weeks it wasn't muggy and hot and sweaty at 7am. Thank goodness the heat seems to have broken.

Surfers were out in force and the waves were big. Saw some spectacular surfing acrobatics... then saw a pod of dolphins cruise through the surfers... must have been 9 or 10 of them... literally cutting in and around the surfers on their boards.

It's a good way to start the day.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #15135
Give me a forum ...

Shocked.

Yesterday around 4 PM odered some stuff from REI. At 3:30PM today UPS rings doorbell. The stuff arrived. Free deleivery no less.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:46 PM   #15136
Recycles dryer sheets

My first trip to the library post-ER... got a handful of northwest focused gardening books. Come hell or high water going to get my Gulf Islands vegatable garden going come springtime.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #15137

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Don't keep us in suspense!
Are you going to renew your subscription or not?
Never had a subscription, and I've lived here since 1982! They took pictures of me and everything, but since my FIL gets the paper, I'll be able to clip a copy. The article is about navigating the traps set by the health insurance companies. Unfortunately, my example is what NOT to do!
Old 09-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #15138
Recycles dryer sheets

Busy day, started at 4 am, got up with DW and had coffee watched the news and morning business reports, made lunch for DW for today and tomorrow, took a nice hot bath to get my day started, took one dog to doggy daycare and the other one to the vet to get checked out and scheduled for knee surgery Monday. Went food shopping, had breakfast, and then unloaded the dishwasher and reloaded and ran it, picked up tire from rim repair shop (curb checking damage), and installed it back on the car, took the other front tire off to have it fixed to (dam curbs), took another bath because I got pretty dirty, cleaned the last two bathrooms, and then had lunch. Took a nap, and plans for this evening are pick up dog from doggy daycare, a town meeting to discuss speeding in the subdivision and then dinner with DW. Pretty much my day and then I get to start all over again tomorrow, so much stuff to do and so little time.

Edited to add, answered emails, read blogs, though of Mom on her birthday, made arrangements with ex-boss to meet to inventory IT equipment for business shutdown coming up (still doing about 10 hours/month for them until they close out (billing big time for it too)).
Old 09-18-2014, 08:20 PM   #15139

Went furniture shopping with DW, her nephew's wife, and their two girls, ages 4 and 8. I was just the truck driver in case they bought something which eventually, after hitting four stores, they finally did at Ikea. Two dressers for the girls. Oh, and the purchase went on my credit card.

It's a birthday present for the girls whose birthdays are in October and November.

My feet are tired. But actually I enjoyed it. The little ones are fun to be around.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:33 PM   #15140

On my two story house, I painted the shutters. And lived.
Closed Thread