Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 03:58 PM   #15261

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm glad that SOMEBODY is willing to taste all those beers so that the winners can get their trophies. Those of us who are not at all fond of beer salute your courage and sacrifice.
When duty calls, someone has to step up and shoulder the load.

The birthday present I ordered for DW's older grandniece arrived today. When I told her nephew that I'd ordered it his response was "Great! She'll love it!" She'll be nine in a month.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Erector_set-2.jpg (213.4 KB, 15 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #15262
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Today was my weekly "Tour" day, a group of 16-24 retirees who golf at a different course within two hours or so of home every Thursday. Today we played one of my favorite courses about an hour from home and I had a good day for me. I was crushing the ball off the tee and actually had rare eagle putts on two of the par five holes (albeit from the senior tees and very long eagle putts but I am never on in two on par fives). The sun came out early on and we had a great day and my partner and I had a 4th place finish (out of 12 teams).

P.S. I missed both eagle putts but ended those holes with a birdy and a par

Old 10-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #15263
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Took a break from the kitchen remodel and did some overall cleanup of aggregated drywall dust. Taped up the cabinets to finish primer paint tomorrow. Considering what to do with popcorn ceiling before putting down the color coat. At least, I'll paint over it. Would rather cover it, but it's such a large expanse I'm looking at, we can't find a texture (panels, planks, or whatever) we'd like. Easy enough to cover later, but if I'm going to paint it, I want to do so before I put color on the walls.

Got in a a great power nap. DW says it lasted two hours. I love my recliner...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #15264
Give me a forum ...

We had popcorn ceilings in our old house. While most people hate them, I actually like them. We usually repainted them with a roller and ceiling white.. but only go over it 2-3 times at the most after that, it gets too wet and the material started to peel away from the ceiling. For a couple smaller rooms that got a lot of moisture, like the bathrooms, we scraped the popcorn off and repainted with ceiling white.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #15265
Moderator Emeritus

Today is hot hot hot. Probably one of the hottest days so far this year. So I stayed inside and cleaned up my terrariums. My fern and moss terrarium has not been watered in 5 months, but it still managed to become overgrown (see picture). I loosely seal it with a lid, and the water goes through natural cycles of evaporation and condensation. So it actually rains in there. It's pretty neat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4462.jpg (560.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 10-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #15266
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Ran many errands.
Went to doctor and we decided to keep up current drugs.
Got flu shot.
Pneumovax shots next year (65).
Old 10-03-2014, 08:07 AM   #15267

Ordered a whole house humidifier from eBay based on this old thread Whole House Humidifier??
Usually I start turning into a lizard in January, when the heater is running at full tilt. But getting up in the attic now, while it's not blazing hot, and not cold seems like a good plan.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #15268
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
He loves what he does. In a concert I went to a few years ago, he said to buy the record only for the other guys in the band...he didn't need the money!

I've been going to concerts and listening to Tull records since high school, including recently, and yes, the vocal quality has gone down, and is varible (good days/bad days). ...
I saw Ian last summer - I'm glad I went, he did 'Thick as a Brick' part I and II (his new composition). There was a lot of 'performance art' to it (interactive videos. actors, etc). Unfortunately, between his accent and the miking and loudness of the band, it was very tough to make out any of the lyrics, so I was kinda lost - couldn't follow the story (assuming it could be followed!). He danced around quite a bit for an old guy, I sure couldn't keep up!

But still, hearing this performer that I admire and have listened to for decades hit that line 'and your wise men don't know how it fee-ee-ee-e-els ....... to be thick as a brick', just sends shivers down my spine.

And 'Locomotive Breath' as the 'encore' - awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post

I might start on my BJCP soon. I've judged our club comp (460 entries judged and 196 registered participants, judges, and stewards), but actually like to steward better...listen to guys like you talk about beer without having to write anything down, hehe!
I'm the same way, and I won't even go through the effort for the BJCP. I found judging hard work, to the point that I really didn't enjoy it. Supporting the club/hobby/judges by stewarding was enough for me, and that has gotten to be old hat for me as well. But I love doing semi-formal tastings with experienced judges in our club - no pressure, just learn and enjoy.

-ERD50
Old 10-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #15269

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Unfortunately, between his accent and the miking and loudness of the band, it was very tough to make out any of the lyrics,
I've been studying-up
Ian Anderson:Homo Erraticus (2014) Lyrics - Lyric Wikia - song lyrics, music lyrics
Tons of googling and wikipidiaing while listening...I now know a lot more about the history of England than I did before...but odd little bits, like a hangman's structure that could do three people concurrently.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:17 AM   #15270

what did you do today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
We had popcorn ceilings in our old house. While most people hate them, I actually like them. We usually repainted them with a roller and ceiling white.. but only go over it 2-3 times at the most after that, it gets too wet and the material started to peel away from the ceiling. For a couple smaller rooms that got a lot of moisture, like the bathrooms, we scraped the popcorn off and repainted with ceiling white.

Probably what I'll end up doing. The biggest problem is that builders use the popcorn to hide an incomplete drywall job - they save on labor costs by doing an inadequate mudding job. Same with wallpaper. Ours was a demo home and the builder added molding and wallpaper. The reason this simple renovation has taken so long was because I had to finish the mudding job. What wallpaper hid will jump out when the wallpaper was removed and the wall painted.

I'm going to use primer n a small water stain and see how it works before painting the entire ceiling ( about 14' x '49)

Old 10-03-2014, 04:12 PM   #15271

what did you do today?

Tried a roller over the popcorn ceiling, but it's old and dried, plus I noticed it had been sprayed non bare dry wall. I noticed this as it fell off and left bare patches. Going to cover it somehow. Did get the primer coat on the walls completed.

Going to take a couple of days off. Heading back up to Columbus, Ohio, with family members so they can watch our son perform in 'Forever Plaid'. They haven't seen him perform since he was in Junior High, so I think they'll be in for a surprise. Lol.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #15272

Did the usual chores and housework, walked the dog, analyzed the pension lump sum info that arrived in the mail - all to the background sounds of the blue angels. They're not supposed to create sonic booms - but that didn't seem to stop them. Car alarms being set off added to the lovely symphony.

But it's only one weekend a year and I usually get some great shots of them buzzing our backyard. Part of living just west of Miramar... Been living with this since I was 4 years old. (I grew up in this house.)

Edited to add:
Really glad we upgraded our windows... the sound insulation and heat insulation is MUCH better. Not only is it loud outside- it's super hot again, too.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #15273

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
But it's only one weekend a year and I usually get some great shots of them buzzing our backyard. Part of living just west of Miramar... Been living with this since I was 4 years old. (I grew up in this house.)
Cool! Photos, please.

These are some from an air show in WV four years ago. The AF Thunderbirds don't make it to WV very often.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg air_show-4.jpg (56.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg air_show-1.jpg (38.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg air_show-2.jpg (61.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg air_show-3.jpg (66.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 10-05-2014, 07:59 AM   #15274
Recycles dryer sheets

While munching on a bowl of breakfast cereal followed a link to Pew Research from Marketwatch for a ridiculous sounding headline of "We have no idea how government spends its money, Eight in 10 Americans can't name the biggest target of federal expenditures. Can you?"

The link The News IQ Quiz | Pew Research Center hooked me up with the 12 question survey "The News IQ Quiz"; so I figured game on - I do not subscribe to any printed or online news sources, just what I can point and click to for free. Rarely watch broadcast news, no pay TV, just OTA. Absolutely amazed me that I ended up as being a 1%'er in that I got 12 for 12. Or should I say I'm amazed how 99% could be so far off on news that is pretty easy to follow, at least in my perspective. I'll bet the majority here will also be in the minority of astute news hounds.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #15275
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday was a relaxing but HOT Saturday.

Made a full breakfast for the family, did some chores around the house, ran some errands - did the propane tank exchange for my grill, then went to my specialty butcher for some nice steaks and ribs (doing those today).

Came home to prep the ribs and then watched some great College Football games til dinner.

Grilled up the steaks and corn, twice baked potatoes, and some fresh sourdough - washed down with a nice rich Cabernet.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:16 AM   #15276
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
While munching on a bowl of breakfast cereal followed a link to Pew Research from Marketwatch for a ridiculous sounding headline of "We have no idea how government spends its money, Eight in 10 Americans can't name the biggest target of federal expenditures. Can you?"

The link The News IQ Quiz | Pew Research Center hooked me up with the 12 question survey "The News IQ Quiz"; so I figured game on - I do not subscribe to any printed or online news sources, just what I can point and click to for free. Rarely watch broadcast news, no pay TV, just OTA. Absolutely amazed me that I ended up as being a 1%'er in that I got 12 for 12. Or should I say I'm amazed how 99% could be so far off on news that is pretty easy to follow, at least in my perspective. I'll bet the majority here will also be in the minority of astute news hounds.
+1 It is appalling to me that close to half of respondents had 4 or less correct responses (out of 12 questions)!!! And only 1/3 of respondents got more than have of the questions right. I do watch broadcast news and suspect much of the 12/12 I got was from doing that (Thank you Scott Pelley and team)
Old 10-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #15277
Moderator Emeritus

This was really a continuance from yesterday...

Changed oil and filter in DD's 2010 Ford Fusion. Checked over the rest of the car as it is @ 90,000 miles. No issues, brake pads around 1/2 left, rotated tires, checked air in tires, all other fluids topped off. All is good.

Neighbor's power washer won't start....guess he left gasoline in it all summer. Carburetor is gummed up and pilot jet is clogged shut. So I have the carb disassembled and soaking in solvent. Will see how it cleans up and go from there. A new carb is $48.00 shipped.

Texans play Dallas today. That should be a hoot.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #15278
Administrator

Today was car maintenance day for me as well. Changed the oil and filter, replaced transmission fluid, installed new brake pads, replaced air filter and cabin air filter, rotated tires and did all the regular inspections. My 2008 Civic Hybrid has 177,000 miles on it and is still going strong. It was a perfect day for it -- sunny, dry and cool.

Mowed the lawn too.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:10 PM   #15279
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Today was car maintenance day for me as well. Changed the oil and filter, replaced transmission fluid, installed new brake pads, replaced air filter and cabin air filter, rotated tires and did all the regular inspections. My 2008 Civic Hybrid has 177,000 miles on it and is still going strong. It was a perfect day for it -- sunny, dry and cool.

Mowed the lawn too.
Good to get all that periodic maintenance done before winter sets in. I cut the grass today after watching the Texans lose to Dallas.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #15280

Blessedlly, Peacefully, Placidly, Happily, Thankfully...
Nothing.

DW and all of our family and friends are in a state of stability, good health, and with a positive look to the future. A rare and magnificent day for which we are grateful.