Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 05:44 AM   #15521
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My first traffic ticket in 25 years.
Small town speed trap where the limit suddenly dropped by 20 mph with no warning. I can't complain, since the law of averages says I probably got away with a lot during that quarter century, so things are just evening up.

Still, it was a shock. And it will make me pay closer attention in the future, which is probably the ultimate goal anyway (well, besides the revenue for the town).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

IMAX
Old 11-08-2014, 08:19 AM   #15522
Full time employment: Posting here.

IMAX

Saw my first IMAX movie... Interstellar.. outstanding movie IMHO... A+ for acting and cinematography/effects... B+ for storyline. Long movie, but every time it seemed to be getting strange, it pulls you back into the storyline. Highly recommend

Old 11-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #15523
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
....Small town speed trap where the limit suddenly dropped by 20 mph with no warning.....
Around here there are restrictions on how much of a drop there can be at once and warning signs are typical (I'm not sure if they are required but I think they are).

I recall many years ago I got DW off of a speeding ticket because the signage didn't comply with state law. Interestingly, there was new signage put up the next day!
Old 11-08-2014, 09:34 AM   #15524

I've spent the past week obsessing and working with my FIRST Lego League robotics team. Our qualifying tournament is today. For the past 4 months I've had an FLL tournament table (4x8' base) in my living room. (Quite a stylish addition to my lifestyle, LOL). I've had a team of 11 year old boys at my house twice a week working with them on their "solution" to the themed project, and working with them on the robot design and programming. The past two weeks it escalated from 2xWeek to 5 days a week.

Today it culminates in the qualifying tournament. They present their project skit to the judges (showing their creativity, research ability, and presentation skills), they run their robot through the missions in a competitive settings (teaching them to work under pressure on technical problems), and hopefully, they have fun.

This is my 5th year being a coach, or asst coach of an FLL team. It's a great program because it is a sneaky way of teaching kids both tech skills as well as presentation, team work, research, etc. All things they'll need in college and as collaborators in their chosen professions.

Not sure if we'll go on to the regionals, and I have mixed feelings about moving. On one hand - we have moved forward the last 4 years... but on the other hand - I'm burnt out at this point in the season and would love to call it "done".

Please wish us luck.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:23 PM   #15525

Came out of retirement to work 6 hours - sat with a condemnation attorney while she deposed (grilled) the other side. After a day like that, it feels even better to be retired.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #15526
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So far a perfectly wasted day.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:53 PM   #15527

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
But you feel relaxed, right? So not wasted after all.

I still have a problem with my eyes being bigger than the pot. Went to the grocery early (well, 11:00 is early for me but not too crowded yet) and got the fixin's for more beef stew. Seems that last time I got too enthused with the spices and DW couldn't eat it - she does not like spicy food. So I got some of this and some of that and some of some other stuff, potatoes and whatnot, a 4.74 lb hunk of beef, chop it all up, mix it in a big bowl and ladle into a 8-quart crock pot. Oops, it's crammed full and I still have about a gallon left. Okay, break out the 6-quart and that gets almost full but at least I didn't have to pack it down.

Nobody is going hungry here next week.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #15528

Quote:
works for me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d818aea326a1932bed503fd50d906bb0.jpg (32.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 11-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #15529
Recycles dryer sheets

Went for a long run with DW and I pulled my left hamstring about 3/4's of the way. Gamely hobbled/jogged the rest of the way. My cardiovascular fitness seems to be ahead of my muscle strength at this time.

Good reminder that I'm not 30-something anymore.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #15530
Give me a forum ...

I've suffered from tight hamstrings for many years, and suffered a lot.

Then one day about a dozen years ago I saw an orthopedist who recommended using a slant board. Ever since, I've tried to spend a few minutes a day using it and I've never had a hamstring problem again. Just a suggestion.

Take a piece of scrap wood about a foot square and mount it at a 15 degree angle. That's all there is to it.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:26 PM   #15531
Administrator

Raked and bagged leaves with two teenage helpers today. Many of the trees are still green, so we'll be back at it next Saturday.

Edit to add: Sat in the back yard and watched the Veterans' Day fireworks from across the harbor (less than 200 yards away). They were spectacular.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:32 PM   #15532
Give me a forum ...

I flew around a bit in Denver. More photos and videos to come.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1415489492122.jpg (79.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 11-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #15533

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Not sure if we'll go on to the regionals, and I have mixed feelings about moving. On one hand - we have moved forward the last 4 years... but on the other hand - I'm burnt out at this point in the season and would love to call it "done".
We're moving on to the regionals. So one more month of herding 11 year old boys to improve their engineering skills and presentation skills.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:52 PM   #15534

We're at the 28th Annual Greater Downstate Indoor Bluegrass Festival this weekend, Friday through Sunday, in Springfield, IL. This is our 4th year being here, and sadly our last, as the folks that put it together each year are retiring. They've done a fantastic job putting together several festivals each year, but they're ready to enjoy their remaining years relaxing.

A lot of great music to listen to! The groups range from local bands to major, nationally known groups. And most of the folks that attend these feasts are some of the friendliest folks you'll ever meet.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #15535
Give me a forum ...

I took three bags of clutter to the charity thrift shop and only came back out with 1/2 of bag in new to me stuff. All but 2 books of the items I bought are things one of the kids still needed for a first apartment set up, so really I took three bags in and only 2 books back home for myself. I think will call that an overall decluttering success, especially since one of the books I bought was on Feng Shui. The other was the Moosewood Cookbook.

We also went for a couple of walks and cooked out burgers.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:09 PM   #15536
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We're moving on to the regionals. So one more month of herding 11 year old boys to improve their engineering skills and presentation skills.
How exciting! You'll have to keep us posted on your progress.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:43 PM   #15537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
We're at the 28th Annual Greater Downstate Indoor Bluegrass Festival this weekend, Friday through Sunday, in Springfield, IL. This is our 4th year being here, and sadly our last, as the folks that put it together each year are retiring. They've done a fantastic job putting together several festivals each year, but they're ready to enjoy their remaining years relaxing.

Those pickers have a way of self-organizing, maybe some people will take the baton and keep the love alive.

It sounds like a very nice event.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:09 AM   #15538

Quote:
Perfect timing for me to read your post. When I tried to access this forum today, instead of clicking to go to the "first unread message", I accidentally clicked to start at the first post. The cartoon from Khan that kicked off this thread is still perfect! I had seen one similar before but don't believe I actually read the starting post for this thread in all the years I've been following this board.

Nice day for us yesterday, spent a few hours handing out bags of warm clothing to local families that need some help and packed some more bags for distribution. Have some family in town so we spent the rest of the day outside by a nice fire, relaxing, talking, and eating. Back inside by 8pm, whew, busy day!
Old 11-09-2014, 06:28 AM   #15539

Quote:

Congrats! Good job, Coach Rodi.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #15540

Congrats Rodi! I had no idea legos could be taken to such a level. My niece's 4 year old is heavily into legos. He said to me "Uncle Ron, let's build a robot." My niece's husband has taken him to legos events that sound similar to yours. It's great to see these kids engineering stuff as youngsters.