Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #1541
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Ha....I am sleeping better.
As for the recipe....

Since I’ve been cooking for almost 35 years, I don’t get too fancy…so here goes:

2 med eggplants
1 large carton Ricotta cheese
Parmesan cheese
Mozzarella cheese
Garlic cloves
1 jar Ragu (red sauce)
Flour and water
Oil for frying

I cut the eggplant into 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices. Then I dip the slices into a semi-thick paste of flour (self rising or plain) and water, place in a skillet with medium heated oil. I let them cook until they are a golden brown. Once they are brown, I place them in a casserole dish and spread half of the Ricotta cheese, and a handful of Parmesan on top of the eggplant.

Add another layer of fried eggplant and cheese.

Place the last layer of eggplant on top, pour jar of Ragu spiked with garlic over the dish. Bake at 350 for a half hour. Remove the dish from the oven, spread about one cup of Parmesan and one cup of Mozzarella on top. Put it back in the oven just until the cheese melts.

To cut down on calories, you can fry the slices without the flour batter in a skillet coated with a non-sticking spray.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2009, 03:16 PM   #1542
Give me a forum ...

Thank you bbbamI. That looks really good. It was one of my favorite dishes back in New England, but I haven't had any in years.

Ha

Old 05-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #1543
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Finally got a good night's sleep last night.
Wondering now if I'll sleep well tonight.
I'm surprised you ever have trouble getting to sleep.

Rain, rain, rain. Rained off and on yesterday and has rained all day today. More tomorrow. Oh well, I do get out of the house to go visit my aunt in the rehab unit. Went to the club last night for a few med's and dinner. May grill a steak tonight. Got my med's renewed so all is well.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #1544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
Rain, rain, rain. Rained off and on yesterday and has rained all day today. More tomorrow.
I just looked at the radar, and there seems to be storms in all directions converging on us -- lines of yellow and orange stuff. Hopefully we get some of it in the next hour or two.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 05-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #1545
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Thank you bbbamI. That looks really good. It was one of my favorite dishes back in New England, but I haven't had any in years.

Ha
Ok, put the jar of Ragu down and step away from the sugar and salt.
You need REAL sauce, minus the factory added cr*pola.

Quick and Dirty Spaghetti Sauce a la Freebird

1 can of tomato paste (small size), lowest sodium content you can find
salt and pepper (fresh ground)
dried basil
dried onion flakes
dried parsley
garlic powder (not salt)
1 small or medium bay leaf
1 medium size pot (do not use non-stick) with lid

Put tomato paste in pan. Fill can with water and add to pan, whisking to a very thick consistency.
Add a little more water to get the thickness you want for sauce. Go easy on the water.
Turn heat on medium and add 4 shakes of pepper, 1 shake of salt, about 1 Tbsp parsley, 2 shakes of basil,
4 shakes of onion flakes, 1 very gentle shake of garlic, and the bay leaf.
Bring to a boil, stirring, then cover quickly and turn off heat. Let sit for 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.
Use in your favorite recipe.

If you want to do a bigger batch and freeze for later use, multiply recipe 2 or 3 times.
I fill small plastic containers with this sauce after cooking it all day in the cr*ckpot.
Need a small bit of sauce ? There it is, ready and willing.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:46 PM   #1546
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Thanks Ha....I am sleeping better.
As for the recipe....

Since I’ve been cooking for almost 35 years, I don’t get too fancy…so here goes:

2 med eggplants
1 large carton Ricotta cheese
Parmesan cheese
Mozzarella cheese
Garlic cloves
1 jar Ragu (red sauce)
Flour and water
Oil for frying

I cut the eggplant into 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices. Then I dip the slices into a semi-thick paste of flour (self rising or plain) and water, place in a skillet with medium heated oil. I let them cook until they are a golden brown. Once they are brown, I place them in a casserole dish and spread half of the Ricotta cheese, and a handful of Parmesan on top of the eggplant.

Add another layer of fried eggplant and cheese.

Place the last layer of eggplant on top, pour jar of Ragu spiked with garlic over the dish. Bake at 350 for a half hour. Remove the dish from the oven, spread about one cup of Parmesan and one cup of Mozzarella on top. Put it back in the oven just until the cheese melts.

To cut down on calories, you can fry the slices without the flour batter in a skillet coated with a non-sticking spray.
Hmm that looks tasty!
Old 05-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #1547
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Ok, put the jar of Ragu down and step away from the sugar and salt.
You need REAL sauce, minus the factory added cr*pola.
Well perhaps since he's a single man, he may want time for other activities with a guest....instead of making home made sauce.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:30 PM   #1548
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well perhaps since he's a single man, he may want time for other activities with a guest....instead of making home made sauce.
Ah, but with those aromas going on, the taste testing and the absolute pleasure of watching a man cook for you ?
Oooo lalala LA...
I better stop there.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #1549

Well good thing I can cook.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #1550
Dryer sheet wannabe

I had a Grilled cheese sandwich =l .. Its my Specialty
Old 05-23-2009, 07:52 PM   #1551
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin90 View Post
I had a Grilled cheese sandwich =l .. Its my Specialty
Hey Elvin, if you can build on that and become an accomplished cook, you will [attract chicks] make some nice young lady very happy which may produce long term benefits as one of the top tips for becoming financially independent is to avoid divorce!
Old 05-23-2009, 07:55 PM   #1552
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Hey Elvin, if you can build on that and become an accomplished cook, you will [attract chicks] make some nice young lady very happy which may produce long term benefits as one of the top tips for becoming financially independent is to avoid divorce!
The best way to avoid divorce is to avoid marriage

My idea of attracting chicks is getting naked firing up the grill and cooking steaks they will never taste LOL
Old 05-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #1553

Best thing that attracts "chicks" is money. But just make sure it doesn't run out.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #1554
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Best thing that attracts "chicks" is money. But just make sure it doesn't run out.
Dont worry ill keep that in mind any other advice you wanna throw at me feel free to do so i take everything into consideration
Old 05-23-2009, 08:02 PM   #1555

Quote:
Dont worry ill keep that in mind any other advice you wanna throw at me feel free to do so i take everything into consideration
Yes, money gets you anything you want within reason. Learn how to get it without getting arrested.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:05 PM   #1556
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Money attracts and keeps chicks. It's an anthropological thing. But well informed right chicks know that being spendy is not the best indicator of wealth.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:06 PM   #1557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Money attracts and keeps chicks. It's an anthropological thing. But well informed right chicks know that being spendy is not the best indicator of wealth.

Could be. But if you got money you can just keep going through the chicks. Ask Heff.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #1558
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Yes, money gets you anything you want within reason. Learn how to get it without getting arrested.
yes, i been thru the negative side of making money at a young age thank god i went thru that phase early im 18 now and ready to tackle money the legal way i got alot to learn but im reading and learning from my successful elders ( The forum community)
Old 05-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #1559
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The best way to avoid divorce is to avoid marriage

My idea of attracting chicks is getting naked firing up the grill and cooking steaks they will never taste LOL
Well, (a) common law has legal ramifications after a breakup too and (b) make sure you have a tall garden fence before trying your second idea.....and an apron to protect your important bits!
Old 05-23-2009, 08:19 PM   #1560
Give me a forum ...

My goodness Elvin, you've been through a lot and seem very mature for a young man of 18.