Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #15641
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW and DD are wearing me out so much that I'm thinking for returning to work.

NOT! DW has been on the rampage to get the garage situated so we can actually park cars in there (out of the snow) which has put the pressure on me to clean the garage and get things organized after the insulation project.

DD is moving back to the area so I made a trip to Albany to get a U-Haul trailer that is full of her stuff. Last night I was on my way home, less than 1/2 mile from the gas station I intended to stop for gas at and less than 500 ft from the top of a hill that I could have coasted to said gas station, and the bloody truck ran out of gas. Odd thing was, the low fuel light didn't appear until after it ran out of gas.

20F this morning. Too bloody cold. I hate winter.

So today I need to make space in the garage for DD's stuff, unload the trailer and return it later today or tomorrow morning.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

what did you do today?
Old 11-21-2014, 09:22 AM   #15642
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

what did you do today?

Waiting for FedEx to deliver solar panels I plan to install on the truck camper Saturday, when the temps go above 50.

This afternoon I'll do a little prep work inside the camper - with the heater running, of course lol.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Old 11-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #15643
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Interesting! That still doesn't address the issue of what the other idiots drivers are plotting to do to me. I'd still be pretty exposed out there, and I regard that as more of a threat than my own riding skills.

No, until I can get off these prescriptions I'm staying off a bike. Not just for me, but for DW, who would be the one stuck taking care of me because of my own stubbornness. With that much at stake I can give up the bike until all this settles out.
You have my sympathy. Have you given any thought to a cycle car? Its an item on my long range plan for when I can no longer ride on just 2 wheels.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #15644
Administrator

Got at least 6 inches cut off my hair yesterday. Growing my hair was an interesting experiment, but long hair looked lots better on me in the 1960's than it does in MY 60's. Anyway, it feels good to have all that gone.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-21-2014, 10:35 AM   #15645

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Waiting for FedEx to deliver solar panels I plan to install on the truck camper Saturday, when the temps go above 50.

This afternoon I'll do a little prep work inside the camper - with the heater running, of course lol.

seraphim,

I'm thinking of getting a truck camper. Do you consider it comfortable for a single guy for an extended period of time, say two or three months? I'm living in an old motor home this year while I build my house and am quite comfortable, but it is about 35 feet long.

Hermit
Old 11-21-2014, 02:31 PM   #15646
Recycles dryer sheets

Leisurely wake up over coffee with DH, as usual. Did Spanish homework just in time for my 10:00 AM class, home for lunch, then to the gym for a late workout (60 minutes on stationary bike, plus 45 minutes on weight circuit), home to shower and R&R for an hour or so before leaving for a concert and buffet BBQ dinner at our Lifelong Learning program. I'll be working the buffet line after the concert, which should be a lot of fun, and keep me from eating to much once it's my turn to sit down.

What I would call an average, full day in ER.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #15647

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
Have you given any thought to a cycle car?
I thought about it, but then something that is in the garage now would have to move outside and it isn't going to be DW's car! As it is the three barely fit so there isn't room for anything wider than the two-wheeler.

Today I finally mounted and framed a print of the Martinsburg railroad roundhouse that I shot last spring. It is a bit of a local landmark and changed hands several times during the Civil War because whoever controlled that pretty much controlled freight for several hundred miles around.

I was on a tear there for a while hanging prints of my photos and DW was hesitant about one more. This is in the computer room on a wall that was empty, but is not empty anymore. DW is out babysitting her grandnephew so I took the opportunity....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Martinsburg_Roundhouse.jpg (258.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Roundhouse_framed-1.jpg (181.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Roundhouse_framed-2.jpg (124.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 11-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #15648
Give me a forum ...

That's really gorgeous, Walt.

For me, I had a first today. First time I've seen someone on the street wearing a Google Glass.

It looked far more dorky than I expected it would.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:13 PM   #15649
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Thank you, from the Texas Bureau of "Don't Move Here"...
Yes, I know they are for the visitors to sample, but I live here!
Old 11-21-2014, 05:47 PM   #15650
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Yes, I know they are for the visitors to sample, but I live here!
The first weekend after I moved to College Station, TX (30 years ago), I went swimming in Lake Bryan. Didn't know those little fellas even existed, much less that they could swim. I ended up with 350 fire ant bites. Not only that, apparently I am slightly allergic to them because each one blew up into a fluid filled blister.

Welcome to Texas!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-21-2014, 05:50 PM   #15651
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
That's really gorgeous, Walt.

For me, I had a first today. First time I've seen someone on the street wearing a Google Glass.

It looked far more dorky than I expected it would.
Oooh!!! I've never seen anybody wearing a Google Glass. Looking really dorky has a certain appeal to those of us who already are partway there, though I doubt if it would be fun enough to justify the price.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-21-2014, 06:23 PM   #15652
Recycles dryer sheets

Drove an hour south to Costco, and came back with just the essentials: new set of tires (best price-beat my mechanic and the local tire place price by 300 dollars) bottle of Korbel brandy (for hot toddies-tis the season) lamb loin chops, coffee and a hunk of Manchego cheese. Oh, and a 24 pack of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. Like I said, just the essentials-what more do you need?
Old 11-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #15653
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Oooh!!! I've never seen anybody wearing a Google Glass. Looking really dorky has a certain appeal to those of us who already are partway there, though I doubt if it would be fun enough to justify the price.
No, trust me; it was not attractive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glass.jpg (14.8 KB, 208 views)
Old 11-21-2014, 08:01 PM   #15654

Nice work Walt!

I was doing something similar today. Built my easel out of African Mahogany. And put one of my canvas shots on it. I had Canvas on Demand do the canvas of a railroad shot I took last summer.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:38 PM   #15655

Nicely done easel. Are you going to keep it on display somewhere?
Old 11-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #15656

I'm on a two week vacation in Aruba. Today was a nice, lazy day hanging out on the beach at the resort, climbing up Hooiberg, a~550 foot "mountain" that affords great views, and snorkeling just off the coast. Oh, and drinking!
Old 11-22-2014, 04:46 PM   #15657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Nicely done easel. Are you going to keep it on display somewhere?
Thanks - yes I'm putting it in my "studio" room. A few years ago, I finished off a section of basement and intended to fill it with a model railroad. I lost interest in that and the space sat vacant. Recently I dragged out my old train set and put together a small layout taking up about 1/3 of the room. The rest of the space is housing my photography stuff and a few maps. I needed more stuff on the walls - So I took a few of my old train shots and had canvases made. DW came up with the easel idea for one of the canvases.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:52 PM   #15658

what did you do today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
seraphim,

I'm thinking of getting a truck camper. Do you consider it comfortable for a single guy for an extended period of time, say two or three months? I'm living in an old motor home this year while I build my house and am quite comfortable, but it is about 35 feet long.

Hermit

Easily. DW and I have been out for +3 months at a time with no friction. We spend half the year in it, traveling. Used to have a '95 Class B. Still would have, were it just me. But in a truck camper, I could manage full time. And fully enjoy it.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #15659

what did you do today?

Spent yesterday running #10 wire from the roof of the RV to a location inside where I'll mount the charge controller for my solar array.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1416779737.288658.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1416779762.250835.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1416779799.162846.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1416779825.856761.jpg

Old 11-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #15660

Quite warm here today so I took a long walk. At present am simmering some osso bucco on the stove. I haven't seen the right type of veal for this dish in many months so I pounced on it at the grocery store today. Everyone else was hauling out their turkeys. I might yet purchase a small fresh free-range turkey but it won't be until later in the week. I plan a sleep-in on T-giving Day and a movie (probably first showing of Gone Girl).