Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 02:30 PM   #15681
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Ya but......how good is the system process control if the engineer's stomach is rumbling for an hour?

"Damn good and hungry" is an acceptable boundary condition.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2014, 02:43 PM   #15682

(burp!)

That was good.

Now I'm full as a tick.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:12 PM   #15683
Give me a forum ...

Getting ready to grill Thanksgiving burgers. Luckily we're in Florida where the weather is perfect. Also lucky Walmart was open, because we didn't have anything defrosted.

The turkey and all the other traditional dishes are sitting in the fridge. I started preheating the oven at 2:00. At 3:30 it had gotten up to 225 degrees. Tomorrow I'm off to the parts store. Hopefully a new bottom element will fix the problem.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #15684
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ate way too much...

...tummy hurts...

...is there any of that pie left?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #15685
Moderator Emeritus

1. Stayed out of the way,
2. Said "Yes Dear" after every command,
3. Went and got two bags of ice,
4. Said "Yes Dear" on glaring looks,
5. Fetched chairs on command.
6. Helped clean up, walked dog, took out trash, got out of the way.
7. Watched football.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #15686

Went out to troubleshoot a solar setup I installed on the camper, and after running through the checklist with no success, I tried something simple: switched the positive and negative leads at the charge controller.

Yep.

When I marked the positive cable before feeding it down into the camper, I must have marked the negative cable by accident.

OK. You can all laugh.

Once...

Old 11-28-2014, 02:18 PM   #15687
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Went out to troubleshoot a solar setup I installed on the camper, and after running through the checklist with no success, I tried something simple: switched the positive and negative leads at the charge controller.

Yep.

When I marked the positive cable before feeding it down into the camper, I must have marked the negative cable by accident.

OK. You can all laugh.

Once...

When I accidentally reverse the polarity on electronic devices, I always seem to let the smoke out.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #15688
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post

Yep.

OK. You can all laugh.

Once...

As much as I like to rag on engineers, this was a good save. Your turn to thank them for the charge controller designs. A buck ninty five blocking diode.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:18 PM   #15689

It gets better: you know the fuse which had I installed on the 'positive' cable...

...do fuses actually work if they're really installed on the negative cable?

Old 11-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #15690
Give me a forum ...

Absolutely!
Old 11-29-2014, 06:16 AM   #15691
Administrator

Winter is here for sure, saw coyote tracks on the deck in back and DW saw one yesterday morning.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
Old 11-29-2014, 06:20 AM   #15692
Give me a forum ...

Overnight low was 10F and lake has frozen over with a thin layer of ice but I see some small animal tracks out on the ice. We had a pretty sun dog at sunrise this morning.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 11-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #15693
Moderator Emeritus

Went to a friends wedding last night. Good time with lots of friends/DW former coworkers. Finished my playroom/bunker in the basement. Now preparing delayed Thanksgiving dinner for tomorrow, because DW was under the weather most of the week. Then a nap before the Blackhawks game.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:07 PM   #15694
Give me a forum ...

I just came back from a wedding reception of one of our nieces, and resting a bit before dressing up again to go to the dinner party.

I am glad I can still put on the suits my wife has laid out for me to wear. She wants me to wear different suits for the two occasions, as she does also. Might as well wear them every so often before the moths get to them, as they did one suit already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
As much as I like to rag on engineers, this was a good save. Your turn to thank them for the charge controller designs. A buck ninty five blocking diode.
Solar charge controllers usually have a blocking diode at the input, the purpose being to prevent the battery under charge from back-driving the solar panel when the latter is dark and not producing. And it saves our friend's wallet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
When I accidentally reverse the polarity on electronic devices, I always seem to let the smoke out.
Contained smoke is what makes electronics work. When you let the smoke out, they stop working. And once smoke escapes, there's no way to put it back.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-29-2014, 02:16 PM   #15695
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Contained smoke is what makes electronics work. When you let the smoke out, they stop working. And once smoke escapes, there's no way to put it back.
That problem has been solved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Smokekit2.jpg (22.3 KB, 181 views)
Old 11-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #15696

ROTFLMAO!!!
The fact that it's a Lucas part is what makes it so priceless!
Old 11-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #15697
Moderator Emeritus

I got my property tax bill today and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it hasn't increased a cent, for the third year in a row.

Gas has been pretty amazing lately, too, having gone down another ten cents since I last bought gas back on the 11th.

Wish I could say the same about my car insurance, or groceries, but I'll give it time. Meanwhile, this is great.

Other than looking at my mail and paying my bills, I went out to lunch with Frank and we spent the afternoon together as we usually do. Traffic is still insane out there, I suppose due to the holiday weekend and the spectacular, sunny, bright weather in the low 70's. This is shorts weather for me but probably won't last.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-29-2014, 04:48 PM   #15698
Give me a forum ...

I went grocery shopping at a store I normally do not frequent

Urban Fare | home

because I knew they carried this cheese

Okanagan All Natural Goat Cheese | Carmelis Goat Cheese Artisian

which I wanted to include in the menu for an upcoming dinner party, and I didn't feel like driving up the mountain to the goat cheese farm.

Now I have to houseclean before I start cooking.

Got some of my favourite wines earlier this week.

https://www.hainle.com

I do like to eat local!
Old 11-30-2014, 09:10 AM   #15699
Give me a forum ...

I'm playing with my plants and listening to tunes while Mr B does Legion Treasurer duty. He's filling in for the regular guy who is very ill. He is focusing on automating a lot of the bill paying and paycheck operations, so the Steward's job (and now his) is much easier.
Never let an accountant loose on an inefficient financial process.

I'll do some more dance-ercise in the living room when done with my little green friends. Then I'll get lost for the afternoon so Mr B can study for his upcoming IRS tax representative tests. The man never stops...amazing !
Getting these certifications keeps his mind sharp and translates into less hassle for him during tax season.

Maybe going to watch some football at the VFW is a good time killer for me this afternoon. No lake effect snow is forecast, so it is safe to drive north.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:32 AM   #15700
Give me a forum ...

I just got call from a stranger, from an out of town zip code but one where close friends and a niece live, asking is this (my first name)? I said yes and she said she was sorry to inform me that she had some very bad news....

My heart started pounding because I thought I was going to be told either one of my friends or niece were critically injured or dead, but it turned out the caller had the wrong number (but my first name right!).

I don't know what I am going to do the rest of the day, since it is kind of rainy and gloomy here, but I think after that call the rest of the day will be on the upswing!
Closed Thread