Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 06:50 AM   #15721
Moderator Emeritus

"ER days being too slow" "What am I going to do" When I retired 8 months ago, I had similar concerns. But my days are jam packed. Almost every day includes playing online, doing some hiking/biking, photography, woodworking in the afternoons, (yard work in the summer) watching bears/blackhawks/bulls at night. I thought I would have time to read, but I don't. I have several unread books and 9 months of National Geographic waiting for me when I find some time.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #15722
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
"ER days being too slow" "What am I going to do" When I retired 8 months ago, I had similar concerns. But my days are jam packed. Almost every day includes playing online, doing some hiking/biking, photography, woodworking in the afternoons, (yard work in the summer) watching bears/blackhawks/bulls at night. I thought I would have time to read, but I don't. I have several unread books and 9 months of National Geographic waiting for me when I find some time.
+1 Exactly!

Honestly, even though I had the same concerns before retiring, now that I have been retired for a while I doubt that anyone with a grain of initiative could ever find retirement to be boring or somehow unfulfilling. Retirement is like a Saturday (except not clogged up with chores left over from the work week, so you have time for fun). I have been busy and enjoying life every day during retirement, hence my sig line.

The first day or two I didn't know what to do exactly, but I knew I had to get out of the house. So, I went to the gym and then went shopping at a few stores just to move around. Maybe that would be a start? Those who had sedentary jobs like I did often find it pretty challenging to regain the physical fitness that they lost when working and I am still working on that. After working out, one can tackle the dreams of things that one always wanted to do, but never had time for.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 12-03-2014, 05:29 PM   #15723

Took DW out for Filet Mignon dinner for her birthday, delayed a few days because she was recovering from a bad cold and didn't want to go sooner. Kinda pricy, but she's worth it.

Tomorrow is a gym day and I'll have all those calories worked off about the time I hit Oklahoma.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #15724
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Joined the Y a couple of days ago (with DW), and went to our first old people's yoga class today. I think after I break off some of the rust I'll be able to go with the regular classes. But I've been so injured and sore this year we decided to start slow. Plus I have a tendency to over do, so this will limit my ability to injure myself. Swam a few laps too. Time to get back in some semblance of shape.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:22 PM   #15725
Recycles dryer sheets

Up in the morning for coffee and newspaper and Internet news media, which has become about a 2-3 hour ritual. Spent about 90 minutes on our home gym weights while DW was off to her YMCA kettlebell class. After lunch I took the dog on a 4 mile run and for the evening DW and I went to see the visiting Broadway production "I Love Lucy" at our city's performing arts center. We loved the play, very funny and nostalgic.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #15726
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I are really in a groove... this is the first time that we will come home from Mexico in better shape than when we arrived. We have extended our morning runs to 10k - by the end of our route in is really getting hot and we are literally dripping. We usually have some fruit and yoghurt for breakfast... a light lunch... and we will seek out amazing food for dinner - usually fresh fish caught that same day from the Sea of Cortez - parrotfish, dorado, tuna, wahoo....

Have I mentioned how much better "vacations" are when you are not dwelling on a return to work? What a difference.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #15727

Yesterday was a busy day - started with an Italian test (last one before the final). It was pretty easy - so I don't think I jeapardized my A. Came home and swapped the location of two pieces of furniture. We'll see if the new arrangement works ok. Later had 3 of my robotics team members over for some final tweaks on the project and programs. They go to the regional tournament this Saturday.

Today I walked the dog on the beach. It was interesting to see the storm impact - super high waves, Channels cut in the beach where street runnoff found it's way to the ocean, etc... Nice thing was the entire beach was fairly hard pack - so not as strenuous to walk above the tide line.

Came home and put together a 20 lb turkey I got for $7. Yeah, we just had turkey last week - but this was such a bargain I bought another. Our T-day turkey was smaller and there weren't a lot of leftovers - so we'll be able to do all the leftover recipes with this one.

Also started organizing for our Festa di Natale, 7 fishes dinner on Christmas eve. There will be 16 of us - and I have 2 new recipes I'm going to try.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:21 PM   #15728

Annual physical this morning. Passed with flying colors, so you'll have to keep putting up with me for a while.

I love my doc. I've been seeing him for over 20 years, and we have a great relationship.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #15729
Recycles dryer sheets

Coffee/paper in the morning then off to DW's allergy shot. Lunch followed by quick dog walk before heading to see the Maze Runner at the dollar theater (actually costs $1.75 except on Tuesday's when it actually is a buck). The movie was good, I hadn't had big expectations for it but we went with DS and his friend. Now, settling in for NFL Thursday Night Football!
Old 12-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #15730
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just finished installing a CO and Propane detector in my RV. I got a large propane tank delivered and the gas furnace up and running a couple of weeks ago and thought the detector would be a good thing to add. There was an old propane detector but no power to the wires that connected to it. I put the new one in a better place according to the installation directions.

Also finished putting plastic on the interior of all the large windows. I have enough left over to do the smaller windows. I finished skirting the RV with 1 inch insulation board a couple of days ago. I'm just about done with winterizing the RV and ready to go back to work fun on my house. The weather has been warm but very windy the last few weeks. Hoping the wind dies down and the warm days continue.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:19 AM   #15731
Give me a forum ...

I'm trying to decide what to do today...I've been home all week in the house and have a bit of cabin fever developing. If the forecast is good, I'll venture north to the VFW.

I made a pineapple upside down cake (requested a few days ago) from scratch this morning for the Legion morning coffee crowd. Mr B just took off for the Legion with the still warm cake.

I've been reading up on bonsai. I planted 3 Granny Smith apple seeds a while back. The baby trees are now 4 inches high with normal root systems. I discovered online that apple trees grown from seed will not grow fast enough to be a viable apple tree outdoors, so
torturing them with scissors and wire bonsai seems like another fun thing for me to occupy my time during the winter. There are all sorts of info sites online for bonsai techniques.
I picked three styles to attempt...informal upright, canopy, and arch (from left to right in photo).
The poor little things are now clipped back and held into the basic beginning shapes with wire loops. I ordered 3 inexpensive ceramic bonsai pots at Amazon, on sale as the last ones in stock. I'll do the regular branch wrapping and root trimming once they recover from the severe clipping I just gave them.

Other than that, I've been goofing off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GSApplesFirstTrimShapeDec2014.jpg (397.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 12-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #15732

Freebird, Post some pics of your bonsai progress. I love bonsai and miniature landscapes. To practice you can use any "weed" tree and torture away. I teach a class on miniature landscapes and tell the students to use any tree seedling (FREE) they find outdoors to practice on. Since the tree seedlings grow fast you can see pretty fast how the wires and tie downs effect the seedling. Don't know if you can see in the picture that I've attached but I use rocks (FREE) to balance the space while the trees grow. To simulate shrubs I use woodland moss (FREE) and dwarf sedums (FREE from my garden).
Old 12-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #15733

Day off for me today (aka practicing ER). DH drove past me at noon as I was finishing my run and he was returning from his part-time job that he does to stave off boredom. When I got home he asked what I had been doing all morning. "Changed the sheets, did two loads of laundry, baked cookies, mopped the floor, and ran 8 miles". I think he's starting to catch on that I will not be bored in retirement.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-05-2014, 06:33 PM   #15734
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Freebird, Post some pics of your bonsai progress. I love bonsai and miniature landscapes. To practice you can use any "weed" tree and torture away. I teach a class on miniature landscapes and tell the students to use any tree seedling (FREE) they find outdoors to practice on. Since the tree seedlings grow fast you can see pretty fast how the wires and tie downs effect the seedling. Don't know if you can see in the picture that I've attached but I use rocks (FREE) to balance the space while the trees grow. To simulate shrubs I use woodland moss (FREE) and dwarf sedums (FREE from my garden).
I'll definitely catalog progress as I go. I am a total beginner at this. I'm still reading up on the techniques online.

But I am a retired engineer so using wire tethers to spatially balance out the growing tree in 3D will be pretty easy for me. And I have a natural green thumb.

According to some online articles I found, Granny Smith apple trees are fast growers compared to other apple varieties. I am giving them periodic doses of diluted fish emulsion for kick up their growth rate. I have them under grow lights at least 10 hours a day. And I mist all of my babies almost every day to offset the low humidity in the room.

Maybe you could start a new thread for this ? I'll bet there are some other FIREd folks out there who experiment with bonsai or miniature plant stuff.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:10 AM   #15735
Give me a forum ...

I am organizing my outside screened porch. It's raining out so the temps aren't too bad for doing this today. Snow is coming later and tomorrow.

I left a few planters outside on the surrounding covered walkway and haven't had the ambition to get out there and place them under cover inside the porch. First I have to make room for them inside the porch by stacking the planters in there. It all fits, honest.

It's good light exercise and something to do on an icky rainy day.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #15736

Stopped by the motorcycle shop to pick up a light bulb for one of the driving lights and they were giving away free 2015 calendars so I picked up two, one for DW's nephew and one for us.

For some unfathomable reason DW doesn't like it. Perhaps because the blocks for writing in the dates are too small? Anyway she wants a different calendar for the kitchen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015_calendar.jpg (215.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 12-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #15737
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Stopped by the motorcycle shop to pick up a light bulb for one of the driving lights and they were giving away free 2015 calendars so I picked up two, one for DW's nephew and one for us.

For some unfathomable reason DW doesn't like it. Perhaps because the blocks for writing in the dates are too small? Anyway she wants a different calendar for the kitchen.
Maybe if you blocked out Rachel and Paris's names she would be OK with it?
Old 12-06-2014, 04:25 PM   #15738
Give me a forum ...

Maybe she dislikes blondes. Try some different months and let us know the results.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 12-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #15739

W*rked on the house today. The sun set behind a fairly close mountain top. It was thinly overcast. There were these awesome white streaks radiating out from the mountain top. There was one small dark cloud just above the mountain and the bottom of that cloud was tinged in the most iridescent emerald green I have ever seen.

I love the sunrises, sunsets, and night stars here in the mountains!
Old 12-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #15740
Give me a forum ...

DW and I experimented with various chemicals today. Our snow bird house has tile floors, and the grout is extremely dirty looking. We know what color it's supposed to be (off white) because you can see the original colors in the small closets. We tried an Oxyclean mix, a fun baking soda and vinegar recipe (like making a volcano back in school), hydrogen peroxide, Clorox (diluted), Krud Kutter, and Sno Bol (a hydrochloric acid (15%) based toilet cleaner). The Sno Bol is the clear winner, although nothing actually got the grout back to the original color. Tomorrow I'm going to try scrubbing it in and leaving it for 15 minutes or so, see if it makes a difference.

Anybody got any other suggestions? Trying to get nearly black looking grout back to off white.
Closed Thread