Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #15741
Administrator

About a year ago, I had some disgusting grout in a bathroom. After trying most of the same things as you, I resorted to this stuff that was intended to remove rust stains from porcelain sinks and tubs. It worked where everything else failed. Sadly, I used it all up and don't recall the name, but it should be a fairly standard product.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2014, 08:11 PM   #15742
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Something like CLR or Rust Out?

Old 12-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #15743
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
About a year ago, I had some disgusting grout in a bathroom. After trying most of the same things as you, I resorted to this stuff that was intended to remove rust stains from porcelain sinks and tubs. It worked where everything else failed. Sadly, I used it all up and don't recall the name, but it should be a fairly standard product.
Two products that I have used that have oxalic acid (rust remover) are Zud and Bar Keeper's Friend.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #15744
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
....... and Sno Bol (a hydrochloric acid (15%) based toilet cleaner). The Sno Bol is the clear winner.......
Be careful with toilet bowl cleaner. That is potent stuff. I ruined a bathtub with it.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:22 PM   #15745
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Something like CLR or Rust Out?
It might have been called Carbona. As I recall, it could even be used for fabrics, so it might be in the fabric care section of the supermarket. It was a liquid that I squirted on, spread around with a sponge and then let sit for a while.

I found the ingredients for Carbona. It includes Oxalic acid, so maybe anything with that might be helpful.

https://www.carbona.com/productingre...rspiration.pdf
Old 12-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #15746
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Stopped by the motorcycle shop to pick up a light bulb for one of the driving lights and they were giving away free 2015 calendars so I picked up two, one for DW's nephew and one for us.

For some unfathomable reason DW doesn't like it. Perhaps because the blocks for writing in the dates are too small? Anyway she wants a different calendar for the kitchen.

Maybe it's those girls posing on the motorcycles...?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #15747
Recycles dryer sheets

Spent a few hours this morning hiking in the mountains on a snow packed trail. Such a perfect way for me to start the day. Then we build an ice fort with our kiddo, attended a small town holiday parade, and had dinner at a yummy restaurant. Overall, a fabulous day with my DH and DD.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #15748
Give me a forum ...

Today, I sorted out 187 beanie baby toys into boxes by type...and had a blast doing it.

The bears will be dropped off to Santa tomorrow for his upcoming trips to 2 small sized nursing homes, and the rest of the assorted lot is going to the Marine Toys for Tots dropoff point at my credit union.

Toys for Tots has been in existence since 1947.
http://toysfortots.org/Default.aspx

Tomorrow Dec 8th is the last day to bring toys to the collection points.
You can find a local drop off location using this website.
Marine Toys For Tots Foundation

I love doing this for the holidays. I have no children so it puts me in the holiday spirit to donate toys to such a wonderful program.

Before anyone nominates me for sainthood ....I kept a set of matching bright cobalt blue bears in 3 different sizes for my own teddy bear collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CobaltBearsBBs.jpg (393.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 12-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #15749
Give me a forum ...

Well, it's official...I can wear the smallest clothing I have in my closet...things I've kept for years. Was even able to wear a tee shirt I bought at a nightclub when DH and I were dating....38 years ago.

I still have a little 'weighs' to go tho...as everything seems to have moved south since 1976.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #15750
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Well, it's official...I can wear the smallest clothing I have in my closet...things I've kept for years. Was even able to wear a tee shirt I bought at a nightclub when DH and I were dating....38 years ago.

I still have a little 'weighs' to go tho...as everything seems to have moved south since 1976.
Congratulations & why did you still have a t shirt from 38 years ago ?
Old 12-07-2014, 10:52 PM   #15751
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Congratulations & why did you still have a t shirt from 38 years ago ?
Thanks Moe. It's taken me a little over a year, but it's been worth the weight wait. Especially health wise.

Lord have mercy...I'm not sure why I've kept that tee...guess it always brings back fond memories, just couldn't pitch it. DH still has his Mr Bill tee...

Old 12-08-2014, 12:13 AM   #15752

Enjoyed a nice happy hour with my Dad and had dinner with the friend who's in town for a class.

Retirement is GREAT so far but WOW...I am in awe at how fast the week goes by! Even faster than the weekend did while I was still w+rking! I hope this trend doesn't continue!

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:23 AM   #15753
Recycles dryer sheets

WSOP Circuit event out at Harrah's. My 2nd ever straight flush wasn't enough to propel me to final table, but I did cash.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #15754
Recycles dryer sheets

1 Week Bread Course

Last week I attended a 1 week bread and pastry baking class.

Incredible experience! We learned about 35 different recipes including croissants, baguettes, sourdough, brioche, whole wheat, rye, and many permutations on those basics.

Here are a few of my creations:

Old 12-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #15755

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnIntentionalRoad View Post

Incredible experience! We learned about 35 different recipes including croissants, baguettes, sourdough, brioche, whole wheat, rye, and many permutations on those basics.

Here are a few of my creations:

That is pretty awesome!

I have often wondered if after retirement what I might use my GI Bill for. I have all the degrees I would ever want/need, so I have thought that I would seek out something that would be useful to ME and MY interests in ER and doing a culinary program does intrigue me...as long as Gordon Ramsey isn't the instructor. I think being FIRE'd would *really* lower my tolerance for any criticism that isn't "constructive"
Old 12-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #15756

In my early days of ER, I have *really* come to LOVE Mondays. This is such a change from a few weeks ago. Today, I went to the grocery store to pick up the week's goods. Not only is the store neat, clean, orderly and restocked, it looks like this...and I LOVE it!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Store.jpg (401.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-08-2014, 03:38 PM   #15757

Read almost half of The Four Pillars of Investing. Other than that, not a thing. DW is off babysitting the grandnieces today.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #15758
Give me a forum ...

Qi Gong and then Tai Chi class today. My thighs are a-quivering. Feels good though. But I need to put AnIntentionalRoad on my ignore list if he/she is going to keep posting those pictures. Slow death to an overweight diabetic.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:14 PM   #15759

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnIntentionalRoad View Post

Can't remember if you were one of the people that posted on another thread that you made bread. If not, was this the first time you'd made bread or was this just first class. You made some nice looking bread........how'd it taste. I just had a slice of cranberry walnut bread that I made yesterday. I'll probably have some for a chicken sandwich later tonight. Don't laugh at the combination it tastes great. I always think it's funny when friends think bread making is hard to do. You can make just about any kind of bread you want. I love the designs you can make on the loaf before baking with a razor blade. My favorite is a wheat sheaf......or take cookie cutters, roll out some dough, cut out shapes and attach to loaf with a little water before baking.
I've never had California sourdough but have heard it excellent. I think I read that some California bakers have very old starters. Mine's only 5 years old. It's made from wild yeast in the air, flour and milk. I read an old book or article a while ago about how to do it, called "Trapping the Wild Yeast". Kept thinking that I was just going to end up with a cup of sour milk/flour mix or moldy mess. It's so active I have to keep an eye on it. I fed it one time and left on kitchen counter. It bubbled up and out of the container and looked like the movie "The Blob". This sourdough starter makes a nice bread.
Can you tell I like talking/making bread!!
Old 12-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #15760

Spent the day recovering from our weekend trip to Nashville. Finished a flag box. One more to go.