Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 07:21 PM   #1561
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
My goodness Elvin, you've been through a lot and seem very mature for a young man of 18.
Ive been thru so much that i wanna write a book i just dont know how i would go about starting one.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2009, 07:30 PM   #1562
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin90 View Post
Ive been thru so much that i wanna write a book i just dont know how i would go about starting one.
Chapter 1:

"Once upon a time...."
Old 05-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #1563
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Chapter 1:

"Once upon a time...."
Nope,

My life is not a fairy tale
Old 05-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #1564
Dryer sheet wannabe

Helped our daughter and son-in-law move to a new home!! Grandma (me) and other Grandma entertained the kids (2 year old and 6 week old) by having this Grandma swim for 3.5 hours in the hotel pool with the 2 year old and the other Grandma rest in the shade with the baby. Returned to the new house and witnessed my husband, other grandma's husband, son-in-law, and his brother and sister all looking totally bedraggled. Had picnic type dinner on new deck, now DH and I are resting in the hotel -- tomorrow through Tuesday -- unpacking and cleaning. We will need a vacation from this "vacation"!! But SOOO worth it for our lovely daughter and family........
Old 05-23-2009, 07:43 PM   #1565
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nope,

My life is not a fairy tale
Hey, I was just joshing. No offence meant. As bbamI says, you seem to have more insight than the average 18 year old. I'm sure your experiences have a lot to do with it.

So, where are you at with the Big Financial Plan?
Old 05-23-2009, 08:05 PM   #1566
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Hey, I was just joshing. No offence meant. As bbamI says, you seem to have more insight than the average 18 year old. I'm sure your experiences have a lot to do with it.

So, where are you at with the Big Financial Plan?
i know you were just joshing around lol

i just had to reply so i said that =]

as far as my BIG financial plans there not so big im currently getting out of the rat race.(typical 17 yr old with a checking account at the time) i wanna learn more about investing , living in the broke part of boston and studying the "poor" and "middle class" behavior a car wash would be a great investment in the near future i plan on owning some car wash's then moving up to franchise businesses but until those days come i need to learn how to better invest and how the stock market and government bonds work theres alot i need to learn along with alot of saving i need to do before i get my ball rolling so if i start young i figured ill get places faster
Old 05-23-2009, 08:29 PM   #1567
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
i know you were just joshing around lol

i just had to reply so i said that =]

as far as my BIG financial plans there not so big im currently getting out of the rat race.(typical 17 yr old with a checking account at the time) i wanna learn more about investing , living in the broke part of boston and studying the "poor" and "middle class" behavior a car wash would be a great investment in the near future i plan on owning some car wash's then moving up to franchise businesses but until those days come i need to learn how to better invest and how the stock market and government bonds work theres alot i need to learn along with alot of saving i need to do before i get my ball rolling so if i start young i figured ill get places faster
Elvin, I recommend you check out your local library for "The Wealthy Barber" by David Chilton. It's all about how getting started early with your savings is key to financial success. He talks about "paying yourself first", which means setting up automatic savings with each paycheck. As soon as you have a paycheck, put those savings (say 10% of earnings) into a high interest savings account or a money market fund for the short term while you read about Asset Allocation. Also, don't borrow for stuff that won't make you money, unless it's a home (which is a ways off). Borrow to buy a car if you need a car to work, but don't go into debt for electronics, toys, vacations, entertainment, etc.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #1568
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Elvin, I recommend you check out your local library for "The Wealthy Barber" by David Chilton. It's all about how getting started early with your savings is key to financial success. He talks about "paying yourself first", which means setting up automatic savings with each paycheck. As soon as you have a paycheck, put those savings (say 10% of earnings) into a high interest savings account or a money market fund for the short term while you read about Asset Allocation. Also, don't borrow for stuff that won't make you money, unless it's a home (which is a ways off). Borrow to buy a car if you need a car to work, but don't go into debt for electronics, toys, vacations, entertainment, etc.
Thanks , i have been reading a few things including the book rich dad poor dad, Reading is the key to success , I appreciate the advice and i will look the book up online and buy it, as far as going into debt for all those things trust me i have had many chances to buy Tv's and video games but i dont do any of that , its not that i dont wanna have fun or wanna live my teen years up its just that i truly understand how important life is in the long run and instead of spending 60$ on a video game release ill spend it on a book that will show me things that will benefit me in life .Later on when i increase my income i will get the "Entertainment" devices . Unlike other Teens i listen with my ears not my mouth.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:11 PM   #1569
Moderator Emeritus

Slept eight hours after last night's taekwondo sparring. I never saw the head shot that rung my bell, but hopefully that only happens once a year or so.
A little writing.
A lot of Saturday-morning reading.
Researching and making reservations for our upcoming trip.
Post-prandial nap.
Hand-weeding the back hillside before some Sunday weed-whacking. The yellow oleander & bougainvillea are starting to beat down the California grass to the point where I'll be out of this job in a couple years.
After-dinner e-mail & spreadsheet work, but my heart's not really in it...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:02 AM   #1570
Give me a forum ...

[quote=freebird5825;817988]Ok, put the jar of Ragu down and step away from the sugar and salt.
You need REAL sauce, minus the factory added cr*pola.

Quick and Dirty Spaghetti Sauce a la Freebird

The trouble I have with these kinds of recipes is, you have to put a whole lot of salt on it to make it taste good
Old 05-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #1571
Give me a forum ...

Big tiring day today...
- Started off with painting the living room ceiling with some thick stain sealing, anti-mold white primer. This has been a put-off project for a long time. I needed to be able to open windows all day for the paint smell to air out.
- Continued the weekend slave day by helping dh2b change the transmission fluid and filter on the Jeep. It's been a long time since I crawled under a car. I almost ate some muffler rust but remembered to close de ol' mouthola just in time.
- Mowed the front lawn
- Hanging out, chilling...tired but glad to get some major projects done. Tomorrow AM is 2nd coat on the bleed through stains. Hopefully, 2 coats will do it. One part of the ceiling is now ultra bright white, the other faded white, but I've gotten over it.
Ti-i-i-ime is on my side, yes it is...
Old 05-24-2009, 06:36 PM   #1572
Give me a forum ...

The drive home from Las Vegas started at 10AM today, and ended 300 miles later. We did not do any gambling, nor touched any slot machine. In fact, I often wondered why we went there. I guess we wanted a cheap vacation and to see how the place has changed since we were there last in 2001, just a few days prior to 9/11. This being the 5th time I have been there in my life, I now have enough of LV to last me a while. We drove up to Fremont St. last night. The last time we were there was perhaps 25 years ago, and I hardly recognized the area now.

The strip was such a zoo; driving through my home metropolitan city just now, it felt like a ghost town, which was not a bad thing!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-25-2009, 08:06 AM   #1573
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieMM View Post
Helped our daughter and son-in-law move to a new home!! Grandma (me) and other Grandma entertained the kids (2 year old and 6 week old) by having this Grandma swim for 3.5 hours in the hotel pool with the 2 year old and the other Grandma rest in the shade with the baby. Returned to the new house and witnessed my husband, other grandma's husband, son-in-law, and his brother and sister all looking totally bedraggled. Had picnic type dinner on new deck, now DH and I are resting in the hotel -- tomorrow through Tuesday -- unpacking and cleaning. We will need a vacation from this "vacation"!! But SOOO worth it for our lovely daughter and family........
Phew!!! Thank god you have a hotel to retreat into.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #1574
Moderator Emeritus

Beautiful day here, going out to join SO and see what's what on decoration day after a few non-taxing chores like:

Watered, dusted leaves, cut off dead blooms, added new shorter support stick on this amazing supermarket orchid which has been in bloom continuously since it arrived in Aug. 2007. I’ve used the neglect technique of no re-potting or fertilizer while it’s in bloom. Miraculously, it’s trying to put out a couple more blooms at the end of the flower spike and is putting out a new spike at the base. Do I dare re-pot it after the last flower drops before the new spike blooms?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5042.jpg (488.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5043.jpg (347.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5045.jpg (388.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-25-2009, 01:30 PM   #1575
Give me a forum ...

We went to a Memorial Day observance at the courthouse square today, marred only by one speaker (a Desert Storm vet) who used it as a (very unfortunately timed) opportunity to make political statements against what we're doing in Iraq, including words like "invader," "occupation" and "torture" before a stunned crowd. (No, it's not an invitation to talk politics! But wow, what a wildly inappropriate time and place for THAT regardless of one's position on the issue.)

Nice ceremony other than that. The cool part was when the program was ending, with the playing of Taps and the raising of the flag from half mast to full staff at high noon. Well, right as the bugler was hitting the very first note in Taps, the courthouse clock hit its first chime at 12 noon. And when the 12th chime finished, he had only 4-5 notes left to play. And then the flag went up (just after noon, according the flag etiquette). I don't think they could have timed it more perfectly if they tried.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 05-25-2009, 01:36 PM   #1576
Give me a forum ...

Getting ready to go to w*rk. Just another monday for the people I w*rk for. I don't even get extra pay.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:41 PM   #1577
Full time employment: Posting here.

Woke up slowly.
Ordered soy candle making supplies and misters for aromatherapy sprays.
Brainstormed about adding more retail to my massage business.
Doing two massages tonight.
Caught up on laundry.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:35 PM   #1578
Give me a forum ...

Big tiring day #2 today...
- Hugged a veteran and let him sleep in.
- Finished painting the living room ceiling. Bleed through is minor.
- Went to WallyWorld for lawn stuff and to NAPA for car parts.
- Got treated to Taco Bell chalupas as a reward for enduring shopping
- Tool fetcher for dh2b continuing repairs to Jeep - transmission and transfer case seals and spark plug changes. He has probably saved us about $600 so far. More w*rk to be continued...I admire his stamina.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:47 PM   #1579
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Watered, dusted leaves, cut off dead blooms, added new shorter support stick on this amazing supermarket orchid which has been in bloom continuously since it arrived in Aug. 2007. I’ve used the neglect technique of no re-potting or fertilizer while it’s in bloom. Miraculously, it’s trying to put out a couple more blooms at the end of the flower spike and is putting out a new spike at the base. Do I dare re-pot it after the last flower drops before the new spike blooms?
My wife loves orchid, and has been buying a pot every few months. However, they never rebloom, and she has half a dozen pots with just leaves. So, she sticks a silk flower in there and keeps the plants as decorations. Eventually, the plants die, and must be tossed out.

Could it be the heat and dryness of AZ? I know people have had success here, but they are more devoted fans and willing to put up a greenhouse. Having it rebloom while sitting on your coffee table is unheard of, sadly.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-25-2009, 07:32 PM   #1580
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hit the treadmill hard. Need to prepare for a super calorie lunch Thursday. Preparing to head out of town Fri for a relatives surgery. Talked with an awesome friend today. So it was relaxing. Caught the Nascar race. Fairly disappointing I hate rain outs. Good for that Reutimann kid to win.
Closed Thread