Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 05:11 AM   #15781
Full time employment: Posting here.

I like that bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2014, 05:43 AM   #15782
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Turned a bowl on my lathe for the first time today.
Nice bowl- is that Maple or Sycamore? I keep walking by my lathe and thinking I should turn something, have a lot of blanks laying around.

BTW, neat that your local glass guy donates the flag case glass, a nice gesture. Getting the angles right on those cases can be a trial sometimes.

I really like winter when I get to spend more time in the work shop! I have heat but no AC so gets kind of warm plus there are so many other things that need to be done.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:48 AM   #15783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
I like that bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Nice bowl- is that Maple or Sycamore? I keep walking by my lathe and thinking I should turn something, have a lot of blanks laying around.

BTW, neat that your local glass guy donates the flag case glass, a nice gesture. Getting the angles right on those cases can be a trial sometimes.

I really like winter when I get to spend more time in the work shop! I have heat but no AC so gets kind of warm plus there are so many other things that need to be done.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.
The bowl is Sycamore. Bought a chunk at the local woodcraft store for this one, but I'm going to start turning logs once they dry out.

The glass guy is a class act. The big box stores wouldn't do that. I watched a video Tommy Mac » Rough Cut Season 1 from Tommy Mac on Rough Cut on how to build it. He recommends sneaking up on the angles - cutting the 22.5° angles for the bottom corners, and 45° angles for the top. Cut the sides a little long. Then piece together - and keep trimming the 45's until it fits together nice.

I know what you mean about shop temp. I have heat but no a/c also. Nice 60° in there with little humidity now. So this is the perfect time of year to be out there.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:06 AM   #15784

Picked up my car yesterday from the car hospital. Rebuilt transmission. I'll be glad when this budget year is over.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #15785
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Today I push-shoveled 5 inches of snow off the steps and around the cars. The plow guy showed up to do the 90 foot driveway and turnaround. Money well spent !

It felt good to get outside and get some exercise. I do not let Mr B shovel because he has a heart condition. Add cold weather and....

I bought 40 shares of BHP via VG brokerage. Nice price!

I'm making a late lunch personal pizza using a round of Mediterranean flatbread covered with canned shitake mushrooms and mozzarella and Asiago cheese, sprinkled liberally with olive oil. Yum yum!

Then it's time to assemble my SAD light. I got lazy the other day and blew it off.

It's snowing again...it's still pretty to watch.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #15786
Moderator Emeritus

Bought DD two bar stools for Christmas (pre-arranged gift). They were about $150 each and I opted to go for an Amazon (by Chase) CC since they offered to give me $70 off through a gift card for the chairs.

I guess I got tired of that ad popping up every time I go to checkout. Now I can get 3% off purchases which will be the only place I use this card.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:39 PM   #15787
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Bought DD two bar stools for Christmas (pre-arranged gift). They were about $150 each and I opted to go for an Amazon (by Chase) CC since they offered to give me $70 off through a gift card for the chairs.

I guess I got tired of that ad popping up every time I go to checkout. Now I can get 3% off purchases which will be the only place I use this card.
I love my Amazon (by Chase) Visa card! It is my only credit card, and I got it because FIREd mentioned it in a post last spring. That got my attention and when I looked at the details it seemed perfect for me. It was great to get that gift card for signing up, too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-11-2014, 05:19 PM   #15788
Recycles dryer sheets

Caught a 30lb yellowfin tuna off the Gordo Banks, cooked it 2 hours later... fish tacos to die for. I love the Baja....
Old 12-11-2014, 06:00 PM   #15789
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I love my Amazon (by Chase) Visa card! It is my only credit card, and I got it because FIREd mentioned it in a post last spring. That got my attention and when I looked at the details it seemed perfect for me. It was great to get that gift card for signing up, too.
I just checked Amazon and I've placed 50 orders this year and that does not include what DW orders (which is probably 1/2 my total). Looking back, I seem to average about 25 orders per year. Moving in the new (old) house had something to do with that as I ordered two new toilets, sink, faucet, tile, some new tools, brackets, smoke alarms, wire, etc.

It seems like it's getting more convenient to order from them for more and more stuff, especially with Prime. Getting this card may be a really good thing! Plus, I won't have that darn ad popping up at me.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #15790
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Been in Florida since just before Thanksgiving.
This morning I had carpal tunnel surgery on right wrist.
I'm mostly useless for the next couple days.
Have needed help eating and dressing.
Went out for a boat ride this afternoon to make me feel better. Storks and pelicans waiting for us when we got back; sorry, no fish today.

...typing with left hand...
Old 12-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #15791
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Been in Florida since just before Thanksgiving.
This morning I had carpal tunnel surgery on right wrist.
I'm mostly useless for the next couple days.
Have needed help eating and dressing.
Went out for a boat ride this afternoon to make me feel better. Storks and pelicans waiting for us when we got back; sorry, no fish today.

...typing with left hand...
Wonderful! Hoping for the best possible surgical results and a speedy and thorough recovery.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-11-2014, 07:25 PM   #15792
Administrator

Chatting online with my daughter, who is 36 but of course still my baby girl. She is at home alone in Oregon and it's dark, electricity is out, and the winds are howling and making the house creak. Some storm!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-11-2014, 08:17 PM   #15793
Give me a forum ...

I mounted several prints that I am going to give as gifts. I made a sweet fruit bread for myself and to share with others. Exercised. Read the newspaper. Ran an errand. Talked to youngest child on the phone.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:48 AM   #15794
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Chatting online with my daughter, who is 36 but of course still my baby girl. She is at home alone in Oregon and it's dark, electricity is out, and the winds are howling and making the house creak. Some storm!
That has to be a bit scary. I hope she is okay.

Last weekend DH and I were out shopping for drought tolerant plants. It is hard to believe now. I'm glad we didn't buy too many. We're having trouble getting the dog to go outside to go potty today, even though he has a rain coat. We've just haven't had any breaks in the rain all day.

Today I tried out my new to me Presto pizza oven. It worked great and made pizza faster than the wall oven with less energy usage and no pre-heating required. This site says it uses 1/4 of the energy of a conventional electric oven:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/presto-pizzazz-19658
Old 12-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #15795
Give me a forum ...

DH measured my height this morning. Years ago I was 5' 7". Now, I'm 5' 5 1/2 ". By tonight, I'll be even shorter.

I'm shrinking.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #15796
Give me a forum ...

Right now I am watching and listening to a gaggle of noisy geese in the field next to my home. I think they are having a travel planning meeting. They can't make up their minds whether to go south for the winter.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #15797
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I've put in a request for more sunlight. Should kick in around the 21st.
I have the same delivery date scheduled.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #15798
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I've put in a request for more sunlight. Should kick in around the 21st.
Winter Solstice--my favorite holiday!

Haven't seen the sun much here in NorCal lately, but that's fine with us. Let it rain!

Old 12-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #15799
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Right now I am watching and listening to a gaggle of noisy geese in the field next to my home. I think they are having a travel planning meeting. They can't make up their minds whether to go south for the winter.
Smart birds ! It's been chilly in Florida this year !
Old 12-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #15800
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Smart birds ! It's been chilly in Florida this year !
My geese would be taking the Pacific Flyway, Moe. Though I hear the weather in Oregon and California is terrible!

http://www.pacificflyway.gov/Documents/Directory.pdf