Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 12:23 AM   #15841
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

worked.. and still working at 1:23am.. been working since 6am.. yesterday. ER... soon ... please!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #15842
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Had left carpal tunnel fixed today.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #15843
Recycles dryer sheets

Got all my Christmas shopping done in one fell swoop between the hours of 9 AM and 11 AM. Malls were very mellow - chalk up another benefit of ER!
Old 12-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #15844

Went for a long hike - most of it off trail. Ran into some white geese/swans, an owl, and an eagle. Great hiking this time of year - no ticks, poison ivy, heat/hydration issues, mosquitoes.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #15845
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I basically did nada except sleep in, watch TV, and register my new Discover it Chrome credit card on Amazon (worth $100 gift card after only 1 purchase).

I could not come up with anything creative for dinner, so Mr B went out to pick up subs for dinner. Now we are watching more TV.

A non-productive day like this feels soooo good !
Old 12-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #15846
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Had left carpal tunnel fixed today.
Good luck on that surgery, Khan. I know it can be a fairly long recovery, and you shouldn't use the hand for quite a while. Hopefully you're a righty.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:04 AM   #15847

I enjoy chocolate, also like new things, so I'm going to try some of this today ... Kit Kat, wasabi flavor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kit Kat.jpg (95.7 KB, 195 views)
Old 12-19-2014, 11:24 AM   #15848
Recycles dryer sheets

I find that Kit Kat flavouring a bit disturbing... and yet, strangely, I kinda want to try it.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #15849
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I enjoy chocolate, also like new things, so I'm going to try some of this today ...
Perhaps you should cross-post this to the "Investing in a healthy lifestyle" thread.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #15850

My Italian teacher is having a party at her house tonight. I promised to bring homemade bread... I decided to also bring creamy bagna cauda dip.... I've never made it before - and it's on the menu for our "7 Fishes" dinner on Christmas eve. I cooked it all up this morning. The house smells YUMMY. The dip has heavy cream, lots of garlic, anchovies, olive oil, fresh parsley.... It's served warm (so I'll reheat it and put it in a thermos to transport to the party) and you dip fresh veggies or crusty bread into it.

Just set the first batch of bread to rise. Yeast smells, garlic smells, it's all good.
(I know some folks don't like their houses smelling like food - but I do.)
Old 12-19-2014, 03:12 PM   #15851
Give me a forum ...

I went searching in the deep freezer for the oldest meat in there. My prize find was 2 half racks of pork ribs, dated May 2013. They are now cooking nice and sloooow in the oven, 325F for 3 hours, covered with foil.

One rack will be adorned with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, the other with Ah-So sauce for Chinese style ribs.

Mr B and I are hanging out watching Law and Order. A nice lazy TV afternoon together. A rare occasion for both of us to sit still and veg in front of the tube.

It's allowed.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:35 PM   #15852
Give me a forum ...

I will be changing ISP (Internet Service Provider) soon. It is to make use of the lower rate offered by the other provider. I have been using the email address by the existing ISP for perhaps 15 years. It have to go into all my accounts and switch the email contact to a more neutral address like gmail.

Nowadays, of course all institutions and commercial establishments use email addresses. Man, it takes a bit of time, and I have changed 14 accounts, but just now remember I still have to do Amazon. I hope I will not miss any, before the old email gets turned off.

PS. And while changing the contact info, I looked at my listed phone number, and in one case did not see that it was my current phone number. What the heck is this, I asked my wife. We finally concurred that it probably was the number at our former address, about 40 miles away in a different town.

And we moved 26 years ago. And this was our checking account! Son of a gun!

PPS. No, on 2nd thought, that could not be. When we moved 26 years ago, there was no email, and the email address is only 14-15 year old. That mysterious phone number must have been my wife's cell phone number back then.

Good thing the bank never needed to call us. Or maybe they tried. I will never know now.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #15853
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I will be changing ISP (Internet Service Provider) soon. It is to make use of the lower rate offered by the other provider. I have been using the email address by the existing ISP for perhaps 15 years. It have to go into all my accounts and switch the email contact to a more neutral address like gmail.

Nowadays, of course all institutions and commercial establishments use email addresses. Man, it takes a bit of time, and I have changed 14 accounts, but just now remember I still have to do Amazon. I hope I will not miss any, before the old email gets turned off.

PS. And while changing the contact info, I looked at my listed phone number, and in one case did not see that it was my current phone number. What the heck is this, I asked my wife. We finally concurred that it probably was the number at our former address, about 40 miles away in a different town.

And we moved 26 years ago. And this was our checking account! Son of a gun!

PPS. No, on 2nd thought, that could not be. When we moved 26 years ago, there was no email, and the email address is only 14-15 year old. That mysterious phone number must have been my wife's cell phone number back then.

Good thing the bank never needed to call us. Or maybe they tried. I will never know now.
I've givn up using ISP e-mail addresses and have changed a few times too. GMail is all we use these days, although I have an account at Yahoo for vendors that require e-mail addresses so the junk can get sent there.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:46 PM   #15854
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I've givn up using ISP e-mail addresses and have changed a few times too. GMail is all we use these days, although I have an account at Yahoo for vendors that require e-mail addresses so the junk can get sent there.
+1
Went with gmail a few years ago - sure makes things easier when you move/change ISP. Yahoo is also my "junk" email address.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #15855
Give me a forum ...

NW-BOUND,
We recently discovered ADT still used our old landline number. We'd worked with then to ensure our monitoring worked proparly and give them a new primary and back up cell numbers.

The alarm sent out a low battery alert to our old disconnected land line because it was the primary when service was established. Then they failed to escalate the failure. Point is all you can do is your best, other entity's screw it up too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 12-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #15856
Give me a forum ...

I think that perhaps it was simply our overlooking and forgetting to update the phone number. But here's something else I have no plausible explanation for.

This incidence happened recently, when I decided to sign up for a free account at creditkarma to check my credit rating. And as is done these days, this site asked for an email address to be used as the account login name. My browser was Google Chrome, and when I clicked on that box it suggested the email addresses that I had been using. One of them was an email address that I had not been using for nearly 20 years! It took me a few seconds to realize that it was my email address from a long time ago, with an ISP that had been long defunct. It was a dial-up ISP! I was stunned.

The last time I used that email was 20 years and several computers ago. Where did Google Chrome get that email address? And I had been using this laptop for a while, how did that email surface on that day? Not before, not now. I just check and no, that email no longer pops up. What's going on? Was I in the Twilight Zone?
Old 12-19-2014, 06:11 PM   #15857
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The various bots search all public records. In ny case I found online information I have long forgotten about.

They know not only who you are and where you live, but stuff you never knew existed online or wished it did not.

Example if I needed a record of all the places I lived, I'd get better results searching for me on internet then digging through my files or fading memory. I even found phone numbers I had, none of which I could remember even if waterboarded.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:16 PM   #15858
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
... One of them was an email address that I had not been using for nearly 20 years! It took me a few seconds to realize that it was my email address from a long time ago, with an ISP that had been long defunct. It was a dial-up ISP! I was stunned.

The last time I used that email was 20 years and several computers ago. Where did Google Chrome get that email address? And I had been using this laptop for a while, how did that email surface on that day? Not before, not now. I just check and no, that email no longer pops up. What's going on? Was I in the Twilight Zone?
I saw something like that too. I think, as long as it got imported into one of your contact lists somewhere, or was found in a 'sent' folder that you imported, it finds it.

-ERD50
Old 12-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #15859
Give me a forum ...

I'm spending another day being a real veg.

I have xmas lights to put up on my fireplace mantel, presents to wrap, but just can't seem to get motivated to do all of that. Bah humbug.

Mr B asked me to go to the local Legion for the adult xmas party this afternoon, but that would require getting out of my nightgown and going to be sociable. There will be all sorts of fattening food there, which I need like a hole in the head. I am almost 10 lbs lighter than I was a year ago.

It's a beautiful sunny day out. I love seeing the sun catching a group of glass icicles I hung from my drapes rod. I have the Easy Listening music cable channel on. All instrumental, with a few xmas songs mixed in here and there. Very relaxing...
Old 12-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #15860
Administrator

My teenage helpers and I removed five large burning bushes this morning. I plan to replace them with high-bush blueberries in the spring. Got my hair cut, then went to choir practice to prepare for our lessons and carols candlelight service tomorrow evening. Cocktail party at the next-door neighbors' house this evening.