Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #15921
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yesterday was a lot of fun up here in the mountains. Started off with breakfast at the ranch house with DD, her roommate, and the newest hermit-type to move up here. Everyone up here in the Valley then got together for Christmas dinner. Good times with good people. We then all went down to the pond for ice skating and later a game of broom ball. First time I had been on ice skates in over 20 years. I was a little shaky to say the least. We left the ice just as it was getting dark and it started snowing a little later for a White Christmas finnish to a great day.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2014, 11:44 AM   #15922
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
... the newest hermit-type to move up here. Everyone up here in the Valley then got together for Christmas dinner...
All 5 of them?

It's wonderful that hermits enjoy each other's company. Life's less lonely that way.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:51 PM   #15923
Give me a forum ...

Today I did Christmas clean up . Put away all the Christmas dishes , washed the linens , dealt with the leftovers and spent the rest of the day figuring out my tech presents .
Old 12-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #15924
Give me a forum ...

Celebrating Boxing Day here in the Midwest.:sly:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 12-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #15925

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
All 5 of them?
Four families, actually. When you add relatives and kids, quite a group!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It's wonderful that hermits enjoy each other's company. Life's less lonely that way.
But as hermits, this was about the third time we talked since he moved up here.

There is actually another retired couple up here over the winter. They went to some island in the Caribbean for the week. Can you imagine that?
Old 12-27-2014, 09:36 AM   #15926

The propane in the bottle ran out last night. Switched over to the tank as soon as it got light this morning. It was -10 this morning. I had two small electric heaters going. The motor home got down to about 50 degrees. All is nice and toasty again.

The propane dealer started me with a large portable bottle because he wasn't sure what I would need. He later brought out a large tank. Being somewhat the frugal sort, I used the bottle until it ran out. That, of course, happened on the coldest night since he brought the tank up.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:57 AM   #15927
Give me a forum ...

I am so damn proud of myself...I just changed out the hot and cold flow cartridges on my Price Pfister bathroom sink. I had called and requested the free replacements about 3 weeks ago. The occasional drip had graduated to a steady drip. Time for action !

I've repaired small engines, I've done shocks and mufflers and oil changes on autos, I've helped build a shed from scratch, but I have never done this type of repair before. I figured, it's only water, it can't be rocket science.

The first try, it leaked around the base. I reseated the flat ring, cleaned out the brass retainer ring threads, and cleaned out the threads themselves. Second try, still leaking.

Then the Eureka hit me. I remembered using oil on a brand new auto engine oil filter to seat the ring. So I put a little dab of canola oil on the flat ring and threads...voila! No leaks.

Patting myself on the back here...
Old 12-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #15928

57F here, probably the last time before April so I went for a 40-minute motorcycle ride and burned most of the remaining fuel in the tank, now down to about 1/8 tank. I'll fill it with treated fuel tomorrow and it'll sit until next spring or I sell it, whichever occurs first. The weather for the rest of the week is forecast to be nasty, wet and cold.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:58 PM   #15929

Typical day - goofing off online, woodworking and playing with my camera. Going to eat a pizza, take a nap, watch some House of Cards, and Bulls and Blackhawks.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:09 PM   #15930
Give me a forum ...

Took my birthday kayak out for it's maiden voyage yesterday. That was fun. Nice little boat landing 1/2 mile down the road. I'm thinking of trying to build a kayak trailer for my bike. Mr. Money Mustache would be proud.

Today was just working in the garden. Got some tomatoes and peppers planted, did some additional flower planting. DW has decided the yard level needs raising so the patio doesn't erode away, so I'm hauling a bunch of wheelbarrows full of dirt (known as sand outside FL) from the empty lot across the street over every day and dumping it. This is going to be a long term project. Since the grass is just a smattering of crabgrass anyway, no loss. We might try to put some St. Augustine sod down once we've got the ground raised, so the dogs have something to try to kill.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:14 PM   #15931

Made my usual Saturday morning farmers market run - beautiful cauliflower, Savoy cabbage, and multi-color carrots, plus pickles and eggs. Read one of my Christmas gifts for a bit - Being Mortal by Atul Gawande. Cleared out the RV and put antifreeze in the water system before taking it back to the storage lot for the winter - we'll probably not take it out again until March. Made an inventory list of the pantry staples so it will be easy to reload then. Just finished watching alma mater Duke lose a heartbreaker in the Sun Bowl. Getting ready to grill lamb racks for dinner - yum!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-27-2014, 09:50 PM   #15932
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I am so damn proud of myself...I just changed out the hot and cold flow cartridges on my Price Pfister bathroom sink. I had called and requested the free replacements about 3 weeks ago. The occasional drip had graduated to a steady drip. Time for action !

I've repaired small engines, I've done shocks and mufflers and oil changes on autos, I've helped build a shed from scratch, but I have never done this type of repair before. I figured, it's only water, it can't be rocket science.

The first try, it leaked around the base. I reseated the flat ring, cleaned out the brass retainer ring threads, and cleaned out the threads themselves. Second try, still leaking.

Then the Eureka hit me. I remembered using oil on a brand new auto engine oil filter to seat the ring. So I put a little dab of canola oil on the flat ring and threads...voila! No leaks.

Patting myself on the back here...
I have that ahead of me. Our downstairs shower has been dripping for about 6 months and I have been procrastinating doing anything about it since we seldom use it (out of sight, out of mind). DD moving back home temporarily has expedited the priority. So the other day I took out the cartridge and was just about to order a new one online for $45 and I read a review indicating that they could be had for free from the manufacturer since they are warranted for life and I recalled my plumber mentioning the same thing the last time he was here, so I called Delta and there is a new freebie in the mail.

Anyhow, I took the cartridge out to get the part number since I didn't have the model number for our valve so I had to put it back together for the kids to use while they are here for the holidays. It still drips but hopefully the new part will be here soon.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:53 PM   #15933
Give me a forum ...

Hung around home and have been binge watching the first season of Blue Bloods. This show wasn't on my radar until about a year ago when I started watching it and became a fan so I'm going back and watching the earlier seasons on Netflix.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:32 AM   #15934
Give me a forum ...

From a foggy, muddy hike a few days ago while Jenny was visiting:

That hike prompted Lena and me to get waterproof hiking boots. I got nice Tevas but they are NOT waterproof. Now I have to see about returning them.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:45 AM   #15935
Give me a forum ...

Mr B is back from his whirlwind xmas visit to NH. He is exhausted from all the running around and driving. Plus his IBS is acting up, probably from all the rich and greasy food he ate while away.

So I am playing nurse today. I'm really good at that. My Rx is for him to sit back in the recliner and just chill. I'll make some mellow non-spicy food for him.

Patriots play Buffalo at 1 PM. That will keep him in the chair for sure.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #15936
Recycles dryer sheets

As mentioned in the "Do you beach?" thread, yesterday was an epic hike day... a 10k trek, zig-zagging all over our little Gulf Island. Waking up today, there are sore muscles in places I didn't even know I had muscles...

But no rest for the weary... DW and I are going to tackle some downed trees and branches on our 10 acres. I usually wield the chainsaw, bucking up the fallen trees and stacking the rounds, while DW gathers up branches and puts them on the bonfire. We reward ourselves at the end of the day with a beer or two and and some smokies roasted on the dying embers of the bonfire. Few things make us happier than "working the land" together.

Might post some pictures later this evening.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:01 PM   #15937
Recycles dryer sheets

Had a great day on the slopes. Felt good to get on my snowboard.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:42 PM   #15938

Got up early for the state vehicle inspections on DW's car and the motorcycle. Read a photography magazine. Took a nap (to make up for rising early).
Old 12-29-2014, 08:29 PM   #15939

Had an expensive and less than fun day.

The plan was a quick trip to the doctor for my older son., Then zip back home and get the rest of the family and head out to use free passes (given to us) for seaworld with a friend of younger son.

Problem - doctor wanted older son to see another doctor - who wasn't available till 11am. So we decided to divide and conquer - DH took younger son, picked up friend and headed to the park. Older son and I met them there a little past noon. (Fortunately, Dr's office was only about a mile from Seaworld.)

Problem - they have jacked up the price of parking. 2 cars x $16/car.
Problem - they busted us for bringing our own food. So lunch was $60 for 5 of us.
We spent over $100 for our "free" tickets by the time we headed home.

I hate amusement parks,crowds, etc... I used to enjoy seaworld when the kids were super little - but I never ever ever went on a weekend or during a tourist week. It was beyond crowded and chaotic. Lines were long for attractions (shark encounter, etc) and even longer for rides.

I'm tired and grumpy now.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:32 PM   #15940
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Over age 18, amusement park is an oxymoron.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Closed Thread