Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 09:48 PM   #15941
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Had an expensive and less than fun day.

The plan was a quick trip to the doctor for my older son., Then zip back home and get the rest of the family and head out to use free passes (given to us) for seaworld with a friend of younger son.

Problem - doctor wanted older son to see another doctor - who wasn't available till 11am. So we decided to divide and conquer - DH took younger son, picked up friend and headed to the park. Older son and I met them there a little past noon. (Fortunately, Dr's office was only about a mile from Seaworld.)

Problem - they have jacked up the price of parking. 2 cars x $16/car.
Problem - they busted us for bringing our own food. So lunch was $60 for 5 of us.
We spent over $100 for our "free" tickets by the time we headed home.

I hate amusement parks,crowds, etc... I used to enjoy seaworld when the kids were super little - but I never ever ever went on a weekend or during a tourist week. It was beyond crowded and chaotic. Lines were long for attractions (shark encounter, etc) and even longer for rides.

I'm tired and grumpy now.
When I started reading this I thought it would be about the older son and doctor's visit going south, or expensive.

I remember in the late 80's taking my two young daughters and a few of their friends to Magic Mountain in Valencia over the holiday weekend (Dad's day out with the girls) and how much that jaunt would cost me. But I don't recall how much of the cost was parking (it might have been free at the time).

Wow: $16 to park at an amusement park..

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2014, 07:40 AM   #15942

Did some urban hiking. I didn't think Chicago would be this crowded on a holiday week, but I was wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141229-DSC_3074.jpg (836.5 KB, 32 views)

Old 12-30-2014, 09:06 AM   #15943
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Had an expensive and less than fun day.

The plan was a quick trip to the doctor for my older son., Then zip back home and get the rest of the family and head out to use free passes (given to us) for seaworld with a friend of younger son.

Problem - doctor wanted older son to see another doctor - who wasn't available till 11am. So we decided to divide and conquer - DH took younger son, picked up friend and headed to the park. Older son and I met them there a little past noon. (Fortunately, Dr's office was only about a mile from Seaworld.)

Problem - they have jacked up the price of parking. 2 cars x $16/car.
Problem - they busted us for bringing our own food. So lunch was $60 for 5 of us.
We spent over $100 for our "free" tickets by the time we headed home.

I hate amusement parks,crowds, etc... I used to enjoy seaworld when the kids were super little - but I never ever ever went on a weekend or during a tourist week. It was beyond crowded and chaotic. Lines were long for attractions (shark encounter, etc) and even longer for rides.

I'm tired and grumpy now.
I hope your boys and their friends were still able to enjoy the day.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:38 AM   #15944
Full time employment: Posting here.

Did some tax/financial planning for when I FIRE *next month*, got the warm and fuzzy feeling that all systems are GO.

With an upbeat happy mood, went to see the last (thank goodness) Hobbit movie - which was ok.

Came home to enjoy a glorious afternoon in the backyard before starting dinner which was a big batch of ziti pasta - delectably good and hearty!

Cleaned up and watched Antique Roadshow before heading up to bed.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:00 PM   #15945
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Over age 18, amusement park is an oxymoron.

No it is not. It is called a senior retirement village.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #15946

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I hope your boys and their friends were still able to enjoy the day.
*They* had fun. DH and I agreed we'd checked the box for the next 5 years for taking them to amusement parks. And in 5 years they'll be able to go on their own.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:26 PM   #15947
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
No it is not. It is called a senior retirement village.
Eh, geezers need to amuse themselves too, in a different and, ahem, adult way.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #15948
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh no, I beg to disagree. Last year I had a great day at this one:

Xcaret Park Cancun México

I guess I am a kid at heart!
Old 12-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #15949
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I are on a "hike a day" kick - an attempt to keep the addition of holiday pounds away... And it's just plain fun. Here is a picture of DW atop the summit of today's trek. It's her "I am master of all I survey" pose. A couple of BC Ferries are mere specks in the distance. It's been a most enjoyable holiday season. Crisp, clear weather... And I have no job to return to in the new year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (517.6 KB, 39 views)
Old 12-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #15950
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey sea Kayaker, spent time hiking around the lighthouse area watching for whales today. A little brisk and nada on the whales, but they have been active down here. See J50 an mom were up north today.

https://www.facebook.com/OrcaNetwork
Old 12-30-2014, 10:48 PM   #15951
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Eh, geezers need to amuse themselves too, in a different and, ahem, adult way.

It's still, hopefully, a thrill ride...

You couldn't drag me to Six Flags, or Sea or Disney or any other "world", with a tow truck...

Besides, I have a rule at my age that states that the a$$ should never be higher than the head, except perhaps during the aforementioned "thrill ride"...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 12-30-2014, 10:49 PM   #15952

Second to last day of work. Too busy. IT folk here do a "quarterly software update". Problem is they start at 4AM and try to finish by 9 AM. I've been here twice when they do this and they don't finish until 1PM. Doctor's round are in the morning. Elective surgeries are in the morning. Why don't these IT guys start at 9PM do they're finished by 7AM. After all, it's a hospital, and our job is taking care of patients, not doing tech stuff. My day was at least 2 hrs longer because of this quarterly fiasco. 😁

Can't wait until 1/1/15.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-31-2014, 07:12 AM   #15953

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Second to last day of work. Too busy. IT folk here do a "quarterly software update". Problem is they start at 4AM and try to finish by 9 AM. I've been here twice when they do this and they don't finish until 1PM. Doctor's round are in the morning. Elective surgeries are in the morning. Why don't these IT guys start at 9PM do they're finished by 7AM. After all, it's a hospital, and our job is taking care of patients, not doing tech stuff. My day was at least 2 hrs longer because of this quarterly fiasco. ��

Can't wait until 1/1/15.

If this has happened to you only twice you are lucky. This happens every time I go to my doctors office. The appointments at 2pm but doctor doesn't see me until 3pm and 2 other people in the waiting room had the same 2pm appointment. In both those professions (I'm sure it applies to other professions) the people you deal with sometimes mess things up, have lots of questions, slow/long winded responses/downloads, a lot of unexpected things.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:30 AM   #15954
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Second to last day of work. Too busy. IT folk here do a "quarterly software update". Problem is they start at 4AM and try to finish by 9 AM. I've been here twice when they do this and they don't finish until 1PM. Doctor's round are in the morning. Elective surgeries are in the morning. Why don't these IT guys start at 9PM do they're finished by 7AM. After all, it's a hospital, and our job is taking care of patients, not doing tech stuff. My day was at least 2 hrs longer because of this quarterly fiasco. 😁

Can't wait until 1/1/15.

I did 29 years in IT. We worked the clients schedule, normally Saturday night starting at 10:00 PM. You might get to keep the systems to 4:00AM after that you and a VP would have a conversation.

I can't imagine a hospital not doing the same, they need a new IT director. I'd volunteer but I'm retired. Actually looking forward at the beginning of '13 made up my mind. Looked at what we had to get done and the number of weekends, knew I'd be in every weekend all year. No thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 12-31-2014, 08:44 AM   #15955
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I did 29 years in IT. We worked the clients schedule, normally Saturday night starting at 10:00 PM. You might get to keep the systems to 4:00AM after that you and a VP would have a conversation.

I can't imagine a hospital not doing the same, they need a new IT director.
This was my healthcare experience too. IT worked around patient care schedules, not the other way round.

Last day, EastWest Gal......you are almost free!
Old 12-31-2014, 08:44 AM   #15956
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by springnr View Post
Hey sea Kayaker, spent time hiking around the lighthouse area watching for whales today. A little brisk and nada on the whales, but they have been active down here. See J50 an mom were up north today.

https://www.facebook.com/OrcaNetwork
Thanks for that Springnr. The birth of J50 is great news, especially after the recent death of a mother and her stillborn calf. One of my post-ER goals is to help out with the preservation of our local orca families...

The whale scene here is a little slow right now too. Won't soon forget the humpback show we saw in November though.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:30 AM   #15957

Quote:

Can't wait until 1/1/15.

That really surprises me that they time it that way. DH is an architect that did a lot of local hospital projects. (He had good working knowledge of OSHPD - the governing agency in California that deals with Hospital facilities, codes, inspections, requirements.) He had to go to the hospital at 4am several times to do inspections of an elevator project - because that was the only allowed time to bring one of the elevators offline. By 5am they needed the elevator for getting patients to surgery. (Note - they never took more than one elevator offline - and the hospitals are built with massive amounts of redundancy.)
Old 12-31-2014, 09:32 AM   #15958
Give me a forum ...

EastWest Gal, congratulations on this being your last day!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 12-31-2014, 11:51 AM   #15959
Full time employment: Posting here.

Snow in SoCal--SW Riverside County

This is not usual.
Our new neighbors are holding us responsible.

Lots of broken branches to clear up when things warm up a bit.

If I were a snowbird, I'd be ticked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cold Lion.jpg (198.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Back yard snow.jpg (165.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Snow Adirondack.jpg (226.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 12-31-2014, 01:46 PM   #15960
Give me a forum ...

I'm sitting here reading all of the stories about the last day of the year, what happened this year, and NYE celebrations. Here's a cool article about the history of firew*rks...
A history of fireworks: how about some flaming artichokes to blast in the new year?

I have a minor stomach bug, derived from Mr B's bout a few days ago. I'm feeling a lot better today, even ate some real food. Nothing spicy or complex yet.

It snowed a little. The sun is shining.