Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
BTW, it's my birthday.
How many candles?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2008, 11:47 AM   #142
Give me a forum ...

Yes, Happy Birthday, Kahn!

Ha
Old 09-01-2008, 12:05 PM   #143
Gone but not forgotten

Happy Birthday Kahn !
Old 09-01-2008, 01:20 PM   #144
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
....... went to the grocery store (forgot it was a holiday).
Yeah, I dreaded the thought of going today since it's a holiday and I figured there'd be a hoard of morons humans pushing & shoving their way through the aisles. But I had to go pick up a few 'extras' for preparing dinner. But to my amazement, the parking lot was nearly empty and there were very few people in the store! That was a major relief since I prefer to go when the employees far out number customers

Quote:
BTW, it's my birthday.
Happy Birthday,Khan!!!
Old 09-01-2008, 01:33 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Happy birthday, Khan!

We were just hanging around yesterday, got a call from an old w*rk buddy. He and the family were at the beach for a day trip, but wanted to come by, see the new place, say hi. We cooked out on the grill, let them crash with us for the night so they wouldn't have to drive home tired. Had a really nice time.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:50 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Happy b-day Khan! Here's your red velvet bacon cake...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:27 PM   #147
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
How many candles?

I've officially been an adult for 40 years.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:42 PM   #148
Recycles dryer sheets

Got up at 6:00am and began removing bee hives from the undersides of my roof. You need to kill these suckers while they sleep.

After that, I watched some golf on TV until DW reminded me that I was planning to mow the lawn today. So... mow, edge & blow.

Soon I'll be BBQing some steaks and veggies and settling down to watch my beloved Dodgers on TV.

Let's see... tomorrow... maybe I'll play some golf.

Ahhh.... (retired) life is good!
Old 09-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Time to party!

Old 09-01-2008, 06:27 PM   #150

Crawled outta bed about 8:30am, got cleaned up, and headed out to the coffee shop for breakfast & coffee. Then on to the grocery store to pick up a few items needed to prepare dinner. Went back home, read, surfed, and watched a little bit of TV (not much).

This afternoon after getting all rested up from the hectic morning, I fired up the charcoal grill and fixed dinner, plus a bunch of other stuff to toss in the freezer for future lunches & dinners. Grilled three 3/4" thick slabs of bologna, seasoned with garlic and Lawry's Black Pepper Salt, also tossed on three jumbo, all-beef hotdogs. Grilled up three mild Italian sausages, and four jalapeño & onion Italian sausages. Then wrapped and sealed in foil, I did some onions & green peppers smothered in butter with garlic and some Lawry's Black Pepper Salt. Also grilled up a sweet yellow onion whacked in half and smothered in butter with some garlic and then wrapped & sealed in foil.

We polished off 1 mild Italian and 2 jalapeño & onion sausages, and the grilled sweet yellow onions. We also had homemade German potato salad and some sliced cucumbers in a light white sauce of some sort (Mom's secret recipe). All the extra grilled sausages and bologna, along with the green peppers & onions, are in the freezer for future quick microwavable meals.

Now I'm just sitting around digesting, and thinking about having some butter pecan ice cream a little later.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
BTW, it's my birthday.

And a very happy birthday!
My Dad's is Thursday and he is very crotchedy.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #152
Gone but not forgotten

I mostly played OR nurse today . No, it is not kinky . It's when we are doing a home project and SO says pliers and I slap it into his hand . We currently have several projects going so I'll be playing OR nurse for several week ends .
Old 09-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #153

happy b-day dear kahn, happy b-day to you. and many moooooorrrre.

two fun days. yesterday met bro & sil & littlest nephew and niece. took their pup to stay at ranch where he has another dog to play with. while there played with caretaker's wallaby (too cute), played with horses (we were horsing around), played with mini horse (equally too cute & very friendly).

drove for an overnight by eldest nephew's new university to embarrass the freshman in front of his week-old new friends. really nice group of kids. nephew lives in a country club dorm. own room in a suite of 4 small bedrooms which share a living room & kitchen & bath. basically a decent sized apartment right on a lake with sailboats, waterskiing, beach area, outdoor stage, etc. was a labor day party in progress. labor? these kids? hardly.

took his roomies to dinner. today bought him a bunch of stuff. snuck him a few beer bills. now to hope he doesn't screw up like i did.

was a little sad being on a college campus. all that youth. no one complaining about arthritis. all that optimism. no one complaining about corporations. i'm more than twice the age of those kids. holy crap. when did that happen.

i don't really know how old i am until i get in those situations. when i look outside through my eyes, i think i'm still a kid. but go past a mirror in the company of college kids and, my god, i'm grandpa. this sucks. i might never visit my nephew again. i'm going back into denial where youth is still mine and the only time i suspect it might be slipping away is when my arthritis acts up.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 09-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
....sliced cucumbers in a light white sauce of some sort (Mom's secret recipe).
Any chance you'd be willing to share Mom's secret? I sure would like the recipe.

Audrey
Old 09-01-2008, 08:18 PM   #155
Recycles dryer sheets

slouch, corn meal not lead. One square of toilet paper and 1/8 teaspoon of corn meal. NO BULLETS!!!!!

Kahn, Happy Birthday.

Today I polished, tomorrow I fire up the bluing salts.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:24 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

We finally made it back to TX today after 5 1/2 months out of state. 3 days driving from northern CO through NM. We headed straight for the Davis Mountains in west Texas.

Topped off the fuel in Pecos TX where diesel was only $4.06/gal — topped off = 82 gals. This should take care of us until November. Crossed through several thunderstorms with downpours on the climb up into the mountains. Kind of intense when you're climbing a steep windy road, but it sure cooled things off down to mid-60s outside.

We're set up at Davis Mountains State park. We're here for two whole weeks! Woohoo no more driving for a while! There is so much to do around here we look forward to it. Now that we're back to the "home" state our traveling mode will change. We'll be staying at favorite spots for longer periods until time to head east for holidays with family.

Got my 2 miles in with a nice evening walk around the park. Saw a grey fox and lots of bats buzzing the lights.

Everything around here is so green. They've had lots of rain!

BTW, in our Pacific Northwest travels we managed to collect quite a bit of red wine from Washington and Oregon, mostly from the various Columbia River Valley appellations. We managed to drink quite a bit while traveling, but still are carrying over 3 cases in the motorhome. Now time to get serious!

Audrey

P.S. Happy Birthday Khan! And thanks for starting this thread!
Old 09-01-2008, 08:31 PM   #157
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Futzed around the house this morning then took DW to lunch. Went shopping afterward and bought her a nice pair of ruby earrings to show my appreciation for putting up with me for the past 40 years. Took her out for a couple of primo margaritas and a nice anniversary dinner.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Futzed around the house this morning then took DW to lunch. Went shopping afterward and bought her a nice pair of ruby earrings to show my appreciation for putting up with me for the past 40 years. Took her out for a couple of primo margaritas and a nice anniversary dinner.
And how did she express her appreciation?

Audrey
Old 09-01-2008, 08:40 PM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
No, it is not kinky
I'm afraid that I'll need pictures to make a decision on this matter.

Quote:
SO says pliers and I slap it into his hand
See what I mean?

Quote:
I'll be playing OR nurse for several week ends .
And there you go again!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:40 PM   #160
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
And how did she express her appreciation?
I got a big hug...