Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Two hours of frustration...
Old 01-04-2015, 08:55 AM   #15981
Moderator Emeritus

Two hours of frustration...

This was really yesterday (Saturday). Had a self-install package from Comcast for their X1 system upgrade (put all the blame on DW for this adventure).

Now, as an engineer (mechanical) and person who installed lots of electrical gear over the years and built several computers, etc, this should have been a "snap"...but it wasn't.

Comcast install instructions, in two separate documents, conflict with the proper procedure on the install steps. For example, install modem and activate first, then install DVR's and activate them vs. install all equipment and activate together. In any event, neither procedure says to call Comcast when the install goes south. BTW, the "online" activation did not activate any device.

Call to Comcast tech support to have them "register"in their system the serial number of each device was a pain since we installed all the devices and the serial numbers are on the bottom-rear of each unit. (tell me why this registration step was not done by them off the order we placed?)

Two units required a ladder to get to. The person I was speaking with in India or Thailand, could barely speak English and that was a real problem. On some units, there are three separate serial numbers and the tech wasn't sure which applied.

All in all, it is evident that Comcast does not tell you upfront that when self installing the gear, you WILL have to call to register the serial numbers of the devices.

This whole deal took two full hours and a lot of frustration. (I know, dump the cable and use an OTA antenna...good thought if I was single and wanted to watch 20 Hispanic and Oriental station, plus CBS lite).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2015, 01:33 PM   #15982

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Emergency over, a damsel saved from distress, a bat saved, and now all is well withe world once again. And the hero took a well deserved coffee, properly served.

All this before 9:30 AM. Just brutal.

And the cat door is now again reconfigured to be out only.
Well, okay, now you can take the rest of the day off.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #15983
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Emergency over, a damsel saved from distress, a bat saved, and now all is well withe world once again. And the hero took a well deserved coffee, properly served.

Thanks for sharing, fun story!
Old 01-04-2015, 10:44 PM   #15984
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Re: earlier posts about scrapple.

I never had scrapple, and learned of it on this forum a while back, then read that it is popular and sold in markets in mid-Atlantic states, so told myself to try it when my travel gets me there again.

And being reminded of this, I checked out a recipe on the Web: pork butt, whole hocks, cornmeal, etc... Photos show something looking like a meatloaf. Nothing unusual here, and I most likely would enjoy that.

See: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/s...e-recipe0.html.

The recipe says nothing about throwing it on the floor, then scooping it up. Still, when I try to make this, I will be sure to include the above step. Perhaps I should stomp on the whole mess with my boots to ensure authenticity?

PS. Oh, I will also get some other parts of the pig to put in there too. After all, once a guy eats bacon, what's left to be afraid of?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-05-2015, 01:26 AM   #15985
Give me a forum ...

I was only joking about making my own Scrapple. But I really want to try it, and it may be a while before I get back to Pennsylvania. So, a quick search on the Web shows that a local grocery store has it. Tada! I am heading there tomorrow.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-05-2015, 06:32 AM   #15986
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the link to the scrapple recipe. I'll scale it down to 1/3 and make some today.

I woke up to 4 inches of snow on the ground and whiteout conditions. I was supposed to get a haircut today, but it looks like a good day to stay off the roads. Up to 10 inches of snow and blustery winds are predicted for today. The lake effect snow monster is cranked up.
NWS radar image loop of Composite Reflectivity from Montague, NY

I asked for snow, well I got it.

Days like this are great for getting indoor projects done and having a cozy fire going all day. I have a laundry basket full of small lengths of fabric I will probably never use. A friend's sister is all ready to receive whatever I want to give away. Sorting out time...
Old 01-05-2015, 07:03 AM   #15987
Moderator Emeritus

Went snowshoeing this morning. Weather was great, the snow was just OK. After a hardy lunch, I am ready for a nap.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:58 AM   #15988
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Over the holidays, we decided to relocate. The next few months are going to be very busy.
Still waiting to learn where you're going...
Old 01-05-2015, 07:16 PM   #15989
Give me a forum ...

The temperature here got to the mid 60s today. So, I continued the effort to clean up my garage a bit, and try to organize "stuff" better.

When going through a box of odd-and-ends, I found a receipt for the 387SX coprocessor I bought in 1990. It was actually in the name of my brother, whom I asked to buy for me as he was an Intel employee then and could get it at a discount. Price: $358.27!

Holly Molly! I stared at it in disbelief. Did I really pay that much for it? That price would be $500 in today's dollars, and just for a stinkin' chip. And nowadays, I think people who pay $500 for a smartphone are crazy.

It is a good thing I did not track expenses until recently. Else, I would add up all the money I paid for electronic toys, PC mostly, which are worthless now, and weep.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:19 PM   #15990
Moderator Emeritus

Took down MIL's Christmas tree, went grocery shopping, and met BIL in a bar to discuss his imminent retirement.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-05-2015, 08:07 PM   #15991

Today the kids went back to school (Yay!) So I went back to my early morning beach walks. It was extra nice since the moon was setting as the sun was rising.

Later DH and I celebrated (a few days late) with a lunch at Georges at the Cove in La Jolla. We had to walk off that piece of cake we split - so we went down to look at the seals and pelicans. This 2nd photo is of the pelicans at the bottom - and the beach I walked on in the morning just to the left of the red buildings (La Jolla Beach and Tennis club) at the top of the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150105_130300.jpg (885.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-01-05 (1).jpg (648.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 01-05-2015, 09:12 PM   #15992
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Rescued a Damsel in Distress.

.......Emergency over, a damsel saved from distress, a bat saved, and now all is well withe world once again. And the hero took a well deserved coffee, properly served.

Well done! If I ever have a bat in my house I'm going to call you!

If you think there is a chance that your cat actually came into contact with the bat, it might be worthwhile getting the cat a rabies booster (if rabies in wildlife is an issue in your neck of the woods).

We have had high numbers of rabies cases in the wildlife around here in recent years, so if there is even a slight chance a domestic animal here has come into contact with a bat, the local vets advise administering the booster shot.

Same goes for people - a friend of mine awoke several years ago to find a bat flying around her house, and her doctor insisted on giving her a tetanus booster on the slim chance she may have been bitten in her sleep. I told her she should have gone to my vet and been treated for less $$. She did not see the humor in that.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:24 AM   #15993
Give me a forum ...

A few months ago Charley had all hid shots boosters etc. . We keep up with that as he is an outdoor cat and a hunter of superb skills. He likes his supplements on the hoof. I had Tetanus booster a while back since I am constantly playing with stuff that is rusty.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:47 AM   #15994
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
A few months ago Charley had all hid shots boosters etc. . We keep up with that as he is an outdoor cat and a hunter of superb skills. He likes his supplements on the hoof. I had Tetanus booster a while back since I am constantly playing with stuff that is rusty.
"supplements on the hoof"
Old 01-06-2015, 10:50 AM   #15995

I was going to go to the gym but turned around and went back home. Although it is only 2" of snow this stuff is slipperier than anything I can remember ever driving on. Even with 4WD and anti-lock brakes the truck was barely controllable on nearly flat roads and I knew that I wouldn't have a prayer of stopping on some hills on the route if I needed to. Oh well, we'll go tomorrow.

And I applied for Medicare online, it took about 10-15 minutes. I guess that makes me officially an old person.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:14 AM   #15996
Give me a forum ...

I did Phase II of Lake Effect Snow W*rkout in 10F temps, then settled back into my nice warm living room. Mr B had Legion banking errands to run so he took the 4WD. Roads are well plowed and sanded so he'll be fine.

There is a light snow falling with no wind, the kind with nice big flakes that magically swirl and float down to the ground. I have the Classic Country cable music channel playing again. I've heard some of the music before on the radio or jukeboxes, but most is new to me.
The simplicity of the music and the words of the ballads are very peaceful to listen to. The channel is playing some foot stomping and honky tonk style too. Crystal Gayle is just fabulous. I'd forgotten about her songs I heard as a teenager. I feel an Amazon music CD order coming on.

I have super nachos on the brain. A nice easy dinner to put together, considering I already have the taco meat in the freezer.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:13 PM   #15997
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I was going to go to the gym but turned around and went back home. Although it is only 2" of snow this stuff is slipperier than anything I can remember ever driving on. Even with 4WD and anti-lock brakes the truck was barely controllable on nearly flat roads and I knew that I wouldn't have a prayer of stopping on some hills on the route if I needed to. Oh well, we'll go tomorrow.

And I applied for Medicare online, it took about 10-15 minutes. I guess that makes me officially an old person.
Good idea to not drive in that mess. Nothing is *that* important to us retirees.

As for Medicare, that doesn't make you old. I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. I had heard so many horror stories before getting it, but the reality of Medicare for me has been smooth and very very cool. You have now joined the cool people.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-07-2015, 04:23 AM   #15998
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday- woke up to about 2" of snow that eventually totaled about 5", very slippery! Morning feed for the alpacas, then French toast for breakfast. Sipped my orange juice in the hot tub while the snow fell. Upgraded my Ipad to the new IOS (went fine!) and then got a call from our UPS guy, Vance, saying he had packages but wouldn't be able to get up our hill. Rode the four wheeler down to meet him, one of his truck chains had slipped off so helped get that back in place. He mentioned that the roads were really bad even though there wasn't a lot of snow. Snow had stopped so cleared off the solar panels in case we get some sun. Read a book the rest of the afternoon until the evening alpaca feed. Leftover chili for dinner, early night to bed with a hockey game, retirement is exhausting.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:24 PM   #15999
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

Any info on how/where to sign up? 65 later this year.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:27 PM   #16000
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Any info on how/where to sign up? 65 later this year.
You'll be auto-enrolled if you're already taking SS. If not, see here: Getting started with Medicare | Medicare.gov