Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 07:37 PM   #16001
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Any info on how/where to sign up? 65 later this year.
First blue block (left side): Medicare.gov: the official U.S. government site for Medicare

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2015, 08:42 PM   #16002
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Copied what appears to be a great recipe for chicken parmigiana

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Old 01-07-2015, 11:13 PM   #16003
Give me a forum ...

Got my very long hair expertly shaped and trimmed by a 80 year young lady who is a lifetime master at haircutting. She charges $18, I gave her $23.
Went to a local dive bar and drank beer and ate 30 cent chicken wings with my gardening buddy.
Started a few local rumors about myself.
Froze my *ss off in -13F temperatures.
Came home, ate a few Lindt's PB and milk chocolate truffles.
Gave Mr B a nice back rub to settle him into a nice winter's sleep.
Logged on here and told you all about it.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:11 AM   #16004
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Went skiing yesterday with DD at Copper Mountain. It was a sunny day in the 30s. The conditions were just about perfect with packed powder and we had a great time.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:21 PM   #16005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Any info on how/where to sign up? 65 later this year.
Medicare Benefits - How to Apply Online Even if You Are not Ready to Retire

Note that this is for Medicare only, not SS benefits.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:26 PM   #16006

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Froze my *ss off in -13F temperatures.
Like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Butt_freeze.jpg (68.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 01-08-2015, 03:48 PM   #16007
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Like this?
Good one !

Old 01-08-2015, 04:01 PM   #16008
Give me a forum ...

I'm sitting here waiting for the Verizon tech to call back. Santa brought me a Samsung Galaxy SIII for xmas, and Mr B is downtown at the store getting it activated for me. I can't remember my gmail password, so I am trying to get it redone online. Still waiting for the verification code to come to my cell phone. Zzzzzzzzz...

Once it is all set up, I'll go order some screen protectors and a case for it. I'm hoping I can find a case that has a flip over cover to protect it from everything else in my pocketbook. It's a jungle in there.

My closed loop water heating system is semi frozen. This always happens when we have subzero temps. I have a ceramic heater defrosting the pipe on the north wall section of one of the zones. I have to reprogram my digital thermostat so the heat will stay on higher all night and prevent the semi-frozen situation.

It's always something...
Old 01-08-2015, 04:10 PM   #16009
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... Froze my *ss off in -13F temperatures.....
Only -13F? It was -22F here last night. Currently 0F.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:20 PM   #16010

Its close to 50 degrees here in the Colorado mountains. I put my new chains on the plow truck today. Maybe I won't need them again this year if these temps continue.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:22 PM   #16011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Its close to 50 degrees here in the Colorado mountains. I put my new chains on the plow truck today. Maybe I won't need them again this year if these temps continue.
We all know how that works. If you don't put the chains on you'll get six feet.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:35 AM   #16012
Give me a forum ...

Two projects today...
1. Going through the contacts list on my LG Lucid cell phone and making sure all of them transferred to my Samsung Galaxy S3. Most made it over from the cloud, but a few key ones are missing. So I have no choice but to go through the entire list and crosscheck.
Argh!
2. Adding all of Mr B's contacts from his ancient flip phone to his new Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini. The Verizon tech tried to download his contacts from the cloud but it failed.
Triple Argh!

This exercise actually forces me to weed out contacts that I no longer need. Same for him. Amazing how they pile up over time.

I really like my new phone. Bigger screen size, easier touch functionality, better menus than the dinosaur Lucid.
Mr B has never used a touch phone, so there will be a bit of a learning curve for him.

As he always says..."I want to make calls and take calls. Period."
Old 01-09-2015, 10:29 AM   #16013

Just dropped BIL at the airport. DS departed 2 days ago, DD 10 days ago. Alone (with DW) again, naturally.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:27 AM   #16014
Give me a forum ...

I do not see this as a laughing matter.

Would that not give you a heck of a frost bite? Not being able to sit and having to sleep on your stomach for months? And then, when you recover, having to buy a new wardrobe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Like this?
Quote:
Good one !

Old 01-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #16015

Sold and closed on our last rent house yesterday. Proceeds will be enough to pay off our retirement home after which we'll have zero debt.

This is the last major financial hurdle to complete before we retire

DH is planning to retire on his 50th b-day (4/4/2015) and I'm going to work until January 2016 so I can withdraw from my 401k without penalty (Roth IRA rollovers are part of our financial planning).

Now just need to finalize health insurance plans and get a few final remodeling things done while I'm working... the real countdown to RE has started
Old 01-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #16016
Full time employment: Posting here.

Took the Christmas tree to the recycle drop-off, cleaned up the needles, took the glass and plastic to the recycling, got the credit slip for $15 to use at the grocery store on Sunday, downloaded Turbo Tax premier for $30, doing some chores around the house right now while munching on mixed nuts (gift from xmas) and listening to music on my HT/audio system.

Will probably order a pizza and hot wings for dinner tonight while sipping a bargain wine.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:59 PM   #16017

We recently made our seasonal journey south, the drive was enjoyable as ever, lots of RV's on the road. Saw two new ones this time. One, an RV with a speedboat in tow. The other, an RV with a golf cart in back. Couldn't get a photo of the speedboat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart.jpg (381.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 01-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #16018
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I do not see this as a laughing matter.

Would that not give you a heck of a frost bite? Not being able to sit and having to sleep on your stomach for months? And then, when you recover, having to buy a new wardrobe?
Well, there are two possibilities...it can either be frozen off (FMAO) or laughed off (LMAO).

Old 01-11-2015, 10:33 AM   #16019
Full time employment: Posting here.

We've had a week of temperatures in the single digits over night so drove out to our river camp this morning to check it out. This is the South Branch of the Potomac and it's nearly covered with ice. We weren't expecting to see this much of the river covered but it does move very slowly in front of our place. You can see how much the wind has been blowing by the uneven surface of the ice.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #16020
Give me a forum ...

I'm spending the day watching football with Mr B. I half listen to the first half but will closely watch the second half.
I did some leg lifts and upper arm exercises with my 2 handled resistance band while seated in my recliner. Ouch...my stomach muscles are complaining a bit.

He made a huge pot of Caldo Verde yesterday with real linguica from NH. We added some salt pork for a little extra flavor. I love it when he pulls out the Portuguese cookbook and throws me out of the kitchen. We let it sit outside in the cold overnight to let the flavors develop.
Recipe here
Portuguese Kale Soup | Caldo Verde Recipe | Leite's Culinaria

I had a small bowl earlier with some fresh Italian bread. I feel hungry again. Hmmmm...some tomato soup enriched with some of my homegrown basil and Asiago cheese is appealing to me. Or maybe some nachos and cheese, or pretzel rods dipped in melted xsharp cheddar cheese.

Decisions, decisions...