Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 06:50 PM   #16021
Administrator

I brewed 5 gallons of what I hope will be a nice dark ale in a few weeks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2015, 06:56 PM   #16022
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I brewed 5 gallons of what I hope will be a nice dark ale in a few weeks.

Very nice! Few things better than drinking a nice homebrewed dark ale in the winter!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #16023
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I watched the snow come down. I watched my snow plow guy push it all off the driveway.

I surfed the web, looking for a pull tab ticket counting device for the Legion at Mr B's request. I found one but it is ridiculously expensive.

There is a luscious boneless chuck pot roast in the crockpot, cooking for over 4 hours now. The aroma is unbelievable. Gravy Master is the best stuff to flavor pot roast. Mmmm mmmm mmmmmmmm.

We're watching 2 1/2 Men re-runs on FX and laughing our heads off. Next up will be Law and Order re-runs.
I don't think Mr B and I have spent an entire full day together for months. It's kinda cozy.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:58 PM   #16024
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Spent the entire day with my stomach tied in knots.

With my recent realization that I'm not getting subsidized HI through megacorp AND learning that when I leave megacorp I can only do a one-time withdrawal of my 401k (which as a result will have to be a rollover to an IRA) there is no reason to wait until my 55th b-day to retire.

I've spent all day running numbers (again) in multiple retirement planners, looking at income streams, doing proforma taxes, looking at the ACA health exchanges and scrutinizing our retirement budget. I'm within a hair of having of nervous breakdown (not literally but my brain hurts). Thank goodness work is slow

The money from the sale of our rent house hit our bank acct today and I'll be paying off all but about $25k of our current house. I'm leaving a balance until we can get a HELOC in place.

Frankly I'm scared to quit. I thought Sept 1, 2016 was the very earliest that I could leave so it still hasn't really sunk in that I can leave now. I still enjoy what I do and I make VERY good money so I plan to take the decision to leave one day at a time until I'm comfortable with the decision. Also there is BIG workforce reduction coming this year so I'm hoping to get let go. If I'm WFRed I get about 9 months severance.

I do have a ton of stuff I want to do once I'm done working but I'm not quite ready to say "done".
Old 01-12-2015, 11:57 PM   #16025

Still bumming around Florids in the truck camper. Some good paddling around Ormond Beach and St Augustine. Lots of alligators.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1421132195.609233.jpg

Got drenched in the rain today. Campsite is now a pond lol. Thank heavens for gortex ...

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-13-2015, 09:11 AM   #16026
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
....I still enjoy what I do and I make VERY good money so I plan to take the decision to leave one day at a time until I'm comfortable with the decision. .....
I was in a similar situation. Ultimately I decided that continuing to work was only enriching our heirs since we "have enough" and while I love them dearly I would prefer to have my freedom and spend time the way I want to.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 01-13-2015, 09:23 AM   #16027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Spent the entire day with my stomach tied in knots.

With my recent realization that I'm not getting subsidized HI through megacorp AND learning that when I leave megacorp I can only do a one-time withdrawal of my 401k (which as a result will have to be a rollover to an IRA) there is no reason to wait until my 55th b-day to retire.

I've spent all day running numbers (again) in multiple retirement planners, looking at income streams, doing proforma taxes, looking at the ACA health exchanges and scrutinizing our retirement budget. I'm within a hair of having of nervous breakdown (not literally but my brain hurts). Thank goodness work is slow

The money from the sale of our rent house hit our bank acct today and I'll be paying off all but about $25k of our current house. I'm leaving a balance until we can get a HELOC in place.

Frankly I'm scared to quit. I thought Sept 1, 2016 was the very earliest that I could leave so it still hasn't really sunk in that I can leave now. I still enjoy what I do and I make VERY good money so I plan to take the decision to leave one day at a time until I'm comfortable with the decision. Also there is BIG workforce reduction coming this year so I'm hoping to get let go. If I'm WFRed I get about 9 months severance.

I do have a ton of stuff I want to do once I'm done working but I'm not quite ready to say "done".

You don't need a balance to get a HELOC. Just apply. They want you to have income. We got one a month before I "quit" the first time.

I've been reading for days. Worked out this AM after two lazy days. Tonight I perform at our music club. This afternoon I supervise an ex-coworker who is learning to do circumcisions (she's very good, guys).

Old 01-13-2015, 09:32 AM   #16028

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
You don't need a balance to get a HELOC. Just apply. They want you to have income. We got one a month before I "quit" the first time.

I've been reading for days. Worked out this AM after two lazy days. Tonight I perform at our music club. This afternoon I supervise an ex-coworker who is learning to do circumcisions (she's very good, guys).

Yep. I paid off my house 1 month before I quit -and applied for the HELOC a few weeks after I quit (not the smartest move to apply with no earned income - but we qualified anyway due to DHs SS and our rental income.)

I'd advise applying for the HELOC before retiring.... easier to qualify with earned income. You do NOT need a balance on your home to get a HELOC.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:49 AM   #16029

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
You do NOT need a balance on your home to get a HELOC.
Thanks everyone for the tip. I didn't know that. I'll add this to my "to do before retiring" list.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:18 AM   #16030

How large of a HELOC do you all think is a good safety net to have? We have one we set up a long time ago but have never needed to use (thankfully). It is under $20K. I am thinking we probably should look at what it takes to increase the line of credit.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 01-13-2015, 10:41 AM   #16031

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
How large of a HELOC do you all think is a good safety net to have? We have one we set up a long time ago but have never needed to use (thankfully). It is under $20K. I am thinking we probably should look at what it takes to increase the line of credit.
HELOCs typically only last 10 years - so if it was a long time ago, it's probably near it's end of term.

We set ours for $150k. We hope to never need it - but it's there if we have unexpected big expenses in one year we can use it to smooth reportable income for tax and ACA purposes. It's there so we don't get a double/triple whammy of a big unexpected expense compounded by unexpected higher tax rate and unexpected loss of any ACA subsidy we might qualify for. An unexpected expense is enough pain for me.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:44 AM   #16032

I got the power back up and running in my motor home this morning.

A 12 volt circuit went out in my motor home a couple of nights ago. There is one circuit for the driver's side and one for the passenger's side. The driver's side, which runs the house lights on that side and the furnace fan is the one that went out. I had checked the fuse the night it went out and it was good. I figured I had a wiring problem because the lights slowly bled off when it quit working. I had church and errands that I needed to run the last couple of days so I finally got around to looking into the problem this morning. I have been using a couple of small electric heaters and the motor home has been getting down in the low 60s in the mornings while it has been in the 20s outside so I thought I better get this fixed before we have a cold spell up here. The power panel is under the bed so I had to move all the stuff in the bedroom out to the living room to take the mattress off and get to the wiring. I had the furnace out at the beginning of the heating season and knew the power wire was yellow, but the wire from the fuse was black. Not too unusual for this motor home. I have seen all colors of wires tied together in here. I have a cable tracker that chirps when you put it close to the wire you are tracing. I could follow the black wire under the night stand next to the bed, but I couldn't pick it up on the other side of the wall. Pulled the bottom drawer out of the night stand and pulled on the black wire and there was wire nut connecting black and yellow wires. When I pulled it, the chirping stopped. I tightened the wire nut, put the fuse back in and all is working fine. The chirping stopped because the 9 volt battery was powering all the lights and pulling all the power out of the battery so the thing wouldn't chirp.

The weather man says it is supposed to be snowing, but it is warm and sunny. Maybe I will get some framing done on the house this afternoon.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:46 AM   #16033
Give me a forum ...

On the HELOC front, our credit unions count transfers from savings or a retirement account to a checking account as "income". We would just have to show enough assets to cover three years worth of "income".

They are formula, not logic, based.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 01-13-2015, 01:58 PM   #16034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I got the power back up and running in my motor home this morning..........
.........I tightened the wire nut, put the fuse back in and all is working fine. The chirping stopped because the 9 volt battery was powering all the lights and pulling all the power out of the battery so the thing wouldn't chirp.

The weather man says it is supposed to be snowing, but it is warm and sunny. Maybe I will get some framing done on the house this afternoon.
Sounds like you had a lot of work but at least it was an easy fix. Is this your home or guest home? Are you the one that's building a home?
A friend of mine use to live in Colorado, trying to remember the name of the company. She sent me some pics from her office window; she faced Pike's Peak. She and her husband loved it there. Think her husband got transferred and they moved to Mississippi. She's an engineer and works in R & D.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:47 PM   #16035

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Sounds like you had a lot of work but at least it was an easy fix. Is this your home or guest home? Are you the one that's building a home?
A friend of mine use to live in Colorado, trying to remember the name of the company. She sent me some pics from her office window; she faced Pike's Peak. She and her husband loved it there. Think her husband got transferred and they moved to Mississippi. She's an engineer and works in R & D.
Yes. I'm building my home and living in the old motor home at the job site. I had hoped to get it dried in before winter, but it didn't happen. Now I spend a lot of time sweeping snow off the sub-floor. I get a little work done on nicer days. BTW, I have a great view of Pikes Peak looking at it from the northwest.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:11 PM   #16036

Called to make the appointment for the annual eye exam and they'd had a cancellation so I got that done this afternoon after the gym and a grocery run. For three years running my eyesight has been getting better. The doc laughed when I told him that was the only part of me that was working better than three years ago.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:40 PM   #16037

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Yes. I'm building my home and living in the old motor home at the job site. I had hoped to get it dried in before winter, but it didn't happen. Now I spend a lot of time sweeping snow off the sub-floor. I get a little work done on nicer days. BTW, I have a great view of Pikes Peak looking at it from the northwest.
Are there any photos of your build on this forum? If not, I understand if you want to keep things private.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:18 PM   #16038

I didn't sleep well last night so was grumpy when I set out to get the kids to school and take the dog for my daily walk on the beach.

Got home and realized my drivers license wasn't in my pocket. Tore apart my jacket, purse, car.... nada. Yelled at DH because I was grumpy and he crossed my path. Got back into my car and drove back to the beach... Asked the old guy who's there feeding the birds every day near where I park my car - he hadn't seen/heard anyone finding a license. Knocked on the life guard tower - no one turned it in. Walked to the approx. spots on the beach that my dog had done his business... figuring it might have fallen out when I was getting bags out of my pocket to clean up the mess. Nope. Grumpiness continued.

DH calls - he said he found it UNDER where I park the car in the garage... It must have fallen out of my pocket when I got home - and I must have accidentally kicked it under the car.

Lots of traffic going home - not good for my grumpy self.

Get a call from older son's math teacher - he didn't turn in an assignment. She sounded like she was having a grumpy day too.

I'm going to bed early. Hopefully sleep will help cure the grumpiness.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:43 PM   #16039
Recycles dryer sheets

Today went to the Statue of Liberty - frigid weather but had to be done.

Lunch at Chelsea Market in New York and then walked the Hi Line - again frigid!!
Old 01-13-2015, 09:00 PM   #16040

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Are there any photos of your build on this forum? If not, I understand if you want to keep things private.
A thread called "Pikes Peak or bust" has a couple 3d drawings. Here are a couple pictures of where I am now.

The friend who was going to help me with construction fainted and hit his head on the pavement pretty hard when he and his wife were going for a walk. The only thing the doctors could guess for the cause was that he was short of oxygen because he has sleep apnea. He is OK, but I don't think it would be a good idea for him to be climbing around a construction site at 8700 feet. So I have been doing the framing by myself. It is fun, but slow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0928.jpg (507.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0931.jpg (561.0 KB, 32 views)
Closed Thread