Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 10:54 PM   #16041
Moderator Emeritus

Nice place, Hermit!

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2015, 10:56 PM   #16042
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_E_Expat View Post
Today went to the Statue of Liberty - frigid weather but had to be done.

Lunch at Chelsea Market in New York and then walked the Hi Line - again frigid!!
Hot and rainy in Jakarta today. Enjoy the cool weather!
Old 01-14-2015, 11:38 AM   #16043

Went into a different supermarket and happened to notice a new product that absolutely had my name on it.
Wow! What a perfect snack to have in the car for a long trip.
And much to my surprise, it tastes as good as I hoped it would.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bj.jpg (622.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 01-14-2015, 11:40 AM   #16044
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Went into a different supermarket and happened to notice a new product that absolutely had my name on it.
'Bacon Jerky' ... I'll bet you were teased a lot in school.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #16045

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
'Bacon Jerky' ... I'll bet you were teased a lot in school.
Oh, I'm sure I've been called a jerk on a number of occasions.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:54 AM   #16046
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We're just watching the clouds today. It's relatively cold, but nothing like what's experienced in the "Far North." I lived up there for 3 years and swore off living anywhere that there's not good pig barbeque.

After many years as an avid snow skier, I've sworn off snow. We seldom see any.

Returned from Fidelity's office last night to make changes to my retirement portfolio. I'd sure hate to think I had to build enough funds to last me another 20 or 30 years. I'm glad I lived below my means and invested aggressively for 35 years.

My 7 year old grandson tells everyone his "Big Dad" is rich and will buy him anything he needs. Well, I'm not rich, I will meet his needs but I'm not going to buy him everything he wants.

We're getting ready to head for a long trip to Vegas, Hawaii and San Francisco. No reason to stay in this unfavorable weather any longer than we have to. Maybe the sun will be the norm upon our return.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #16047

Cold yucky day, some light snow but it's not sticking. I'd seen a grocery store ad with a recipe that we already had almost everything for so I made that for lunch with DW. It actually turned out to be a keeper. I posted the recipe here.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:39 PM   #16048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
A thread called "Pikes Peak or bust" has a couple 3d drawings. Here are a couple pictures of where I am now.

The friend who was going to help me with construction fainted and hit his head on the pavement pretty hard when he and his wife were going for a walk. The only thing the doctors could guess for the cause was that he was short of oxygen because he has sleep apnea. He is OK, but I don't think it would be a good idea for him to be climbing around a construction site at 8700 feet. So I have been doing the framing by myself. It is fun, but slow.
Thanks for the pics and reference to the other link. I did see and read that thread. Looks beautiful. Hope your friend is okay.
The other thread jogged my memory, the town where my friend lived was Florissant.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:13 PM   #16049
Recycles dryer sheets

Went and joined the fuzzy-faced crowd for a spot of cheap tournament poker: https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7556...WNvP0A!2e0!3e2
Old 01-14-2015, 08:16 PM   #16050
Give me a forum ...

Slickdeals had a free entree coupon for BJs Brewhouse today. We went there for lunch specials and spent the money we saved on the second entree on their beer sampler. We also went for a walk, so we did do something healthy besides eat and drink beer.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 01-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #16051

Some builders wanted to work on a cabin up here on the Ranch but could not get in. This was a great opportunity to use my two new sets of chains. I got the road plowed. There were some deep snow spots I had to lift the plow and drive to the top of the hill so I could plow going down hill. Just as I was getting finished, the plow literally fell apart. I tried to just push it back home (about a mile) but it didn't make it. I walked back and got a couple of tie down straps and got the blade tied to the lift good enough to get it home. I sheared a pin that is about 1 inch in diameter. I have an old parts plow I will try to get a pin from. If not, I'll have to make a trip down to Colorado Springs for the parts I need.

Actually, its been a great day. Plowing roads and doing mechanical stuff is always great fun!
Old 01-15-2015, 05:19 PM   #16052
Give me a forum ...

Hermit: Sounds as if you need a good track/skidsteer with a heated cab and an adjustable blade. Colorado does get a lot of snow, and much snow must be moved.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:31 PM   #16053

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Hermit: Sounds as if you need a good track/skidsteer with a heated cab and an adjustable blade. Colorado does get a lot of snow, and much snow must be moved.
I would love to get a skidsteer. You are probably talking 30 or 40 grand. I have an old tractor and an old plow truck. They get the job done... Most of the time!
what did you do today?
Old 01-15-2015, 07:30 PM   #16054
Moderator Emeritus

what did you do today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I would love to get a skidsteer. You are probably talking 30 or 40 grand. I have an old tractor and an old plow truck. They get the job done... Most of the time!

My neighbor had a skidsteer and wanted 11k when he moved. It was in good shape and ran well. I should have bought it.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-15-2015, 08:07 PM   #16055

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
My neighbor had a skidsteer and wanted 11k when he moved. It was in good shape and ran well. I should have bought it.

My BIL has one he uses on his hobby farm. He loves it. He paid 13k for it used and was quite happy with the price.
what did you do today?
Old 01-17-2015, 08:00 PM   #16056

what did you do today?

Received a helpful tip from a company I 'liked' on FaceBook, advising me I could save a lot of money annually if I just put my computer to sleep when I stopped using it. I responded by asking if it was expensive to put my computer to sleep, and they actually responded with wattage information about the difference in power usages between putting my computer to sleep and leaving it on. DW prevented me from responding, "But it didn't work that way for my Daschund..."

It did, however, fuel this:

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1421549925.897756.jpg

Yes, I'm fully aware that the mouse disappeared in the second frame. He ran away, in fear for his life. Amazingly, so did the cat ...

... but that's just a side benefit.

That's what I did today...

Old 01-17-2015, 08:06 PM   #16057

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post

Yes, I'm fully aware that the mouse disappeared in the second frame. He ran away, in fear for his life. Amazingly, so did the cat ...

... but that's just a side benefit.

That's what I did today...
Very cute! Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-19-2015, 07:00 AM   #16058

Oh come on - don't tell me I killed this thread! Lol

Old 01-19-2015, 06:44 PM   #16059
Administrator

Went to see Selma at the movies. Booked our annual trip to Italy.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:20 PM   #16060
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Went to see Selma at the movies. Booked our annual trip to Italy.
What did you think about Selma? I think it'd be hard to do the subject justice, especially when MLK Inc. wouldn't allow them to use any of his speeches or newsclips for a reasonable price.

The sniper movie would be preferable to me.

I've been to Italy 5-6 times--last was 2 years ago. With the price of airfare (outside of NorwegianAir) to Europe so high, we're going to Vegas, Hawaii and San Francisco for February.
Closed Thread