Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 07:15 AM   #16121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Aja8888 - best wishes to you and your wife on her speedy recovery.
+1

Here's hoping she's back home very soon.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2015, 08:03 AM   #16122
Moderator Emeritus

Ron & AR: Thanks and will do.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:45 AM   #16123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
DW is in the hospital with pneumonia on top of her COPD so I have been taking "care" of the house and dog. The little dog has been with us 6 months and this is the first time DW has been away from him overnight. He's been sticking to me like glue and looking at the front door waiting for her to walk in.

I feel like a bachelor again and I am living on sandwiches and diet coke. The stove hasn't been turned on in a week. The dog is really getting to know me.
Sorry to hear about your wife . Hope she gets better soon.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:14 AM   #16124
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday - did the Sunday grocery shopping, then went for my 'traditional' hike in the open space preserve behind our house.

Then spent the afternoon prepping the bbq rig to smoke up a batch of chicken drumsticks for dinner.

Served with onion rings, and grilled corn (w/o the husks to get the kernels a golden brown).

Delish....
Old 01-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #16125
Give me a forum ...

Got up early, checked the weather channel to see if my area will be impacted (no TG), made coffee, now listening to classic country on the Music Choice digital cable music channel.
I have a few indoor projects that need attention, but I think I'll go play with my plants instead.
My car is still in the shop. The transfer case seals should arrive today at the mechanic's shop. It will be nice to have my wheels back later today or tomorrow.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:49 AM   #16126
Moderator Emeritus

Hope your DW is on the mend, aja.

Enjoying this Cozumel respite from Chicago:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (597.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-26-2015, 01:27 PM   #16127
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hope your wife recovers soon Aja8888.

I had a colonoscopy this morning. I remember them telling me how to lay and putting the oxygen mask on me and that is it. I woke up and it was over and the doctor had been there and gone. I do have the picture to prove it though! No polyps, yeah, so I guess I am good for another 10 years. I have been napping, reading and am now on the computer. I am also so appreciative to be able to eat and drink whatever I want!
Old 01-26-2015, 01:46 PM   #16128

Aja8888 I hope all goes well with your DW and your dog gets his nerves better.

So far our "snowstorm" has been 1/2" of slush. However, there is a possibility that overnight we'll get noticeable snow.

And I cooked 3 lbs of bacon in the microwave bacon cooker. This will take a couple of months to eat in small bits mixed in with other stuff.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #16129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I cooked 3 lbs of bacon in the microwave bacon cooker. This will take a couple of months to eat in small bits mixed in with other stuff.
Walt, I seriously admire your self-control. I cook 2-3 pounds of bacon about every other week, and it always runs out before the next batch.

I get my bacon from a local butcher and have it sliced extra thick (about 10 slices per pound), so the two of us get through it in short order.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:46 PM   #16130

Went to Italian class - first day of the new semester. Realized I'd forgotten a LOT in the 5 weeks since the end of last semester.

Interesting - the first semester was all youngsters (17-22 year olds). This class is a combo 2nd and 3rd semester and I'd venture that 1/2 the students are over 30... with several being around my age. Beginning of the last semester I thought I'd have to get a tattoo, piercing, and drop 30 years to fit in. Not so much with this group.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:44 PM   #16131

Today was a serious money day. The port-a-pot people had not been charging my credit card since last August. They caught up today to the tune of over $900. (Its a must-have at a construction site per county inspectors.) Got the estimate to fix the plow truck - $2000. Bought a set of skis/boots/poles, etc. at a second-hand store - $500. Many more days like this and I may have to "un-retire"! (Just kidding. And the skis were absolutely required. )
Old 01-27-2015, 10:13 PM   #16132
Give me a forum ...

Mr B and I just got done watching "Sons of Liberty" on the History Channel. We tuned in about halfway through the second episode, so I will record all 3 when it airs again on Jan 30, back to back.

Absolutely fabulous production.

Time for bed so I can get up and see my little birdie friends at the feeder again in the early morning hours.

Zzzzzzz
Old 01-28-2015, 12:23 AM   #16133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Aja8888 I hope all goes well with your DW and your dog gets his nerves better.
+1

Quote:
And I cooked 3 lbs of bacon in the microwave bacon cooker. This will take a couple of months to eat in small bits mixed in with other stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Walt, I seriously admire your self-control. I cook 2-3 pounds of bacon about every other week, and it always runs out before the next batch...
But, but, but did you weigh the bacon after cooking to see how much was left after rendering out all the fat? How many ounces did you have left?

Never thought of doing that myself, but the "shrinkage" has to be huge, given the lard that was left that I kept for cooking.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:22 AM   #16134
Give me a forum ...

The bacon fat is kept in the freezer and used for cooking as needed.
Whatever is in there when I make suet cakes is used for that, and the birds love it, so none of it goes to waste.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:41 PM   #16135
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Hope your wife is feeling better soon. Take care of your self too.
Hope the wife is home soon and her recovery is speedy.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:15 PM   #16136
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Hope your wife is feeling better soon. Take care of your self too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcdougc View Post
Hope the wife is home soon and her recovery is speedy.
Thanks to all who posted best wishes and concerns.

DW is home and on O2 for the time being. I am sure once she is completely past the pneumonia, we won't need the O2 any longer. But for now, it's necessary.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:03 PM   #16137

Added another cup to the w*rk BS bucket today.

With the house paid off all I'm waiting for is to get through several health checkups and dentist appointments.

Once those are done the BS bucket will likely fill up much faster... then it will be bye, bye.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:17 PM   #16138
Full time employment: Posting here.

Woke up to a broken hot water heater. DH can handle the job of installing a new one, but he's got contract work that keeps him busy until after the plumbing supply store closes. (What's the use of having a retired husband if he can't do stuff when you need him to??). So it was up to me to leave work early and pick up the replacement.

I had the receipt from the last tank we bought, so I knew exactly what to buy. The last one cost $400, the replacement came in at over $600. I commented "ouch, the price sure went up since the last one" and the nice man behind the counter said "yeah. I have a scratch and dent you could have for $450 if you want to take a look". I went in the back to check it out, and there was just some surface scratches along the top so I decided to take it.

As we were doing the transaction another worker saw the box and called my guy over for a hushed conversation. It seems that the scratched water heater was being saved for an employee and wasn't supposed to be sold. So they gave me a new one for the scratch & dent price 😀.

Now I'm waiting for DH to get home for the install. I'd like to go out for a run but it's too cold to come home and not be able to take a hot shower so I'll do some stretching instead.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #16139

Went out to lunch with DW using a restaurant gift card that our next door neighbor gave us when we cleared his driveway of snow.

And DW just notified me that there is a puddle of water on the floor near the furnace. It appears to be from the humidifier, didn't see any exterior leaks, no other water pipes around, so I shut the water off to that and put a fan on it to dry it out. If that doesn't dry it out I'll look further. At the moment I'm betting that it is coming from the humidifier that is still under warranty and is leaking inside the furnace and dripping down.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:56 PM   #16140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...... At the moment I'm betting that it is coming from the humidifier that is still under warranty and is leaking inside the furnace and dripping down.
I have a lot of minerals in my water and find the drain cakes up on my furnace humidifier and it then leaks onto the furnace and /or floor.