Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 04:05 PM   #16161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I've used an air hose when it is thin and light. A leaf blower might work with more snow. Thanks for the tip.
I've used a leaf blower too with good results. Of course the snow has to be the light, dry, fluffy kind, not good for snowballs. Don't bother with wet or heavy snow.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2015, 04:11 PM   #16162
Administrator

I use the leaf blower as well. Probably got the idea here.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:59 PM   #16163
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Snow removal - I drive south and let it melt naturally.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-31-2015, 06:32 PM   #16164
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I guess it hasn't snowed here for about a decade. IIRC I usually stay inside and the sunshine melts it all away.

Tonight, I battled my way through a huge tangle of parade traffic in the French Quarter. The Krewe de Vieux parade had things at a complete standstill. It's so good to be home.

("There's no place like home!") OK, after that quote I need to add a photo of the Ruby Slippers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slippers2.jpg (10.8 KB, 225 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-31-2015, 08:53 PM   #16165
Give me a forum ...

Another day in winter wonderland...my gardening buddy came up and helped me move some heavy Gorilla steel frame shelving units around the garage and then carried one lightweight PVC shelf unit upstairs into my growing room for seedling propagation in February. So good to have a guy buddy who will come over and help me do those type of things that could be a physical strain for Mr B. Why tempt fate ?

I can see that the tools in the garage need to be gone through. Some things I know that I or Mr B will never use will be sold very cheaply or given away to the maintenance guy at the Legion. My late husband was into doing a lot of DIY projects, none of which I will ever attempt.

Mr B made some favas and linguica stew for all of us for dinner, then we watched the movie "Ted" on cable. This was the uncut version...totally crude and hilarious. "Ted 2" is coming out this summer. I can't wait !

Winter storm warning for tomorrow with 7-10 inches forecast. Look out !
Old 01-31-2015, 09:35 PM   #16166
Give me a forum ...

We went to the other fine art museum in San Francisco today, the Legion of Honor, and took a walk along some trails nearby that overlooked the ocean. It was a pretty day - sunny and about 70 degrees.

We got in free with our NARM membership and packed snacks so it was a fun, cheap date.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 02-01-2015, 07:37 AM   #16167
Moderator Emeritus

Raked leaves, filled about 10 bags with them, trimmed trees, made a list of new Honey Do's, walked the dog 4 times (never tiring young one), took DD and BF out for pizza. Watched J.J. Watt get his award. Then the rain came.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:05 PM   #16168
Moderator Emeritus

Shoveled snow 15 hours after returning from Cozumel. Nature is cruel that way sometimes. Confirmed stupid COBRA company has indeed informed insurance co that all premiums were indeed paid right on time--grrr--so second cataract surgery can take place tomorrow but think it will need to be postponed. Hope not.

Heard there is a football game on TV tonight.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:36 PM   #16169

Had my chauffeur hat on yesterday and today.

Yesterday - did family laundry, took younger son to basketball game (he had an amazing game), drove older son to my sister's for math tutoring and then back to pick him up... then older son had to go to the first baseball practice of spring season. (Team rosters were announced Friday night - and the coaches are gung ho.)

Today - the boys had piano lessons, I'm about to drive younger son to his first baseball practice of the season, then an hour later drive older son to sisters to finish up the math tutoring (huge assignment that was "forgotten" for 2 weeks)... then an hour later pick up younger son, then an hour later pick up older son.... Fortunately - the baseball practice and my sister's house are only 1.5 miles away... But still, that's 12 miles of driving I would rather not do. Unfortunately, baseball catcher gear is to bulky for him to bike over, and there are a lot of math books involved in the tutoring.

then we'll eat junk food and watch the superbowl.

I also did Italian class homework and will work on taxes during the superbowl. (I think I have everything but the schwab taxable account - which won't be released for 2 more weeks.)
Old 02-01-2015, 01:50 PM   #16170
Give me a forum ...

The food preparations are ongoing...I made deli sliced ham + cream cheese + green onion rollup appetizers. The chicken wings are defrosted and marinating all day in olive oil/granulated garlic and Frank's RedHot Original sauce in 2 different Ziploc bags.
My gardening buddy is bringing some of his very potent homegrown garlic to chop up and toss the garlic wings in along with some Asiago cheese after they are baked.
Wow are they gonna be good... I'll be oozing garlic fumes for days.

I'm trying to decide if I want to drink boxed chillable red wine or Coors Lite today. Maybe I better try a sample of the wine first.

Mr B is defrosting the stuff for a homemade pizza. Toppings will be pepperoni, homemade medium hot Italian sausage and sweet peppers.

To hell with the diet today.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:56 PM   #16171

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
To hell with the diet today.
You and most of the rest of the country, including us!

A big pot of chili is on the stove, just about ready.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:03 PM   #16172
Give me a forum ...

Here is SE MI we are getting blasted with an all day, predicted 11 inch snow storm, so I've been clearing the subdivision road with my 4WD compact tractor. Last year I put a golf cart cab on it and this fall I added a small heater made from an automobile heater core. It is glorious plowing snow in a toasty cab.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:45 PM   #16173
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Here is SE MI we are getting blasted with an all day, predicted 11 inch snow storm, so I've been clearing the subdivision road with my 4WD compact tractor. Last year I put a golf cart cab on it and this fall I added a small heater made from an automobile heater core. It is glorious plowing snow in a toasty cab.
Nice setup ! How much snow so far ?

I have the weather channel on with no sound. Chicago was getting blasted earlier today and now it's your turn.
Next up...Ohio, Pennsylvania, western NY and then some my way before Linus continues on and slams the coastal NE states.
We're supposed to get anywhere from 6 to 10 inches, with 100 % chance of snow over the region. Normal stuff.
My gardening buddy has arrived, so we 3 are hunkered down for the snowstorm and the SuperBowl. Plenty of food and beverages and light sources on hand. And...mwah ha haaa...I have a generator just in case.
We rarely lose power up here because the snow tends to be light and fluffy versus wet and heavy, and ice is rarely of any consequence to power lines.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #16174

Pot of chili is on the stove and rolls are getting ready to go in the oven. We will have a nice salad also. Doritos and chocolate candy for the junk food. Blue Moon in the frig for me and Diet Pepsi for DH.
DD and her DH came from working out and picked up their kids and left for family swim from 5-6pm and then we will eat when they get back. We will watch the game, but we are not too excited since the Steelers are not in it. Go Seahawks!
Old 02-01-2015, 04:46 PM   #16175
Gone but not forgotten

We went to see"American Sniper " . What a great movie ! Bradley Cooper did an excellent job ! One of our local theaters remodeled and now has stadium seating with recliners . They are so comfortable if it isn't an action movie I can see people dozing off .
Old 02-02-2015, 10:50 AM   #16176
Give me a forum ...

I woke up to a dead battery in my Escape. Sometimes the seat belt does not retract all the way, so I'm guessing it might have caught in the door and the interior lights were on all night.
I tested the voltage at the terminals, and it read just slightly above 10 V. Hmmmm....not totally dead but not enough to crank it over.
When I opened the door to the car, no lights (interior or parking lights) came on. When I tried to start it, nothing but clicks and no dashboard lights.
OK, not rocket science.
I have it charging now. It is drawing 4.5 amps according to the charger meter. I will check the battery voltage in a few hours to see if it has improved. I did open the passenger door to get the snow brush after half an hour of charging, and saw the interior lights were on. A good sign.
The vehicle has 72,500 miles on it, so I am hoping it is just a battery going or gone.
I am very glad I know what I'm doing, thanks to my long ago summer j*b as a mechanic for Sears. I could call my regular mechanic, but I like the challenge of doing this stuff myself.

If the battery will not hold the charge, I'll send Mr B downtown for a new one. Between the two of us, we can install a new one.

The good news is the snow let up and there is no wind, so I can be comfortable outside, i.e. no blizzard conditions.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:55 AM   #16177
Give me a forum ...

Today has been Downsizing Monday for me. I never seem to use my Dell desktop computer any more. Actually it hasn't been used for anything but multiply redundant backup storage for several years. Frank, on the other hand, loves fiddling with old computers, even one running Vista like this one. So to make a long story short, I'm giving him my Dell and he can play with it to his heart's content. My guess is that he will install Linux on it since he isn't fond of Vista. It's still a very adequate computer and surprisingly responsive for something that old.

I spent this morning uninstalling software, checking through other files to remove what I might want and delete the rest, and basically trying to clean it up for him. It's now in nearly pristine condition. I didn't bother to re-format/restore, but at least most of my cr!p junk is off the hard drive. Honestly I don't care if he sees anything that was on there, so security is not a problem in this transfer. After uninstalling stuff, I disconnected everything and it is ready to go.

One more downsizing task DONE.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-02-2015, 12:16 PM   #16178

Yesterday one of our sons called and said he had no hot water at his place (rental apt), could he come over for a shower? Sure, no problem! So he stayed for football and I made a big pot of chili because he appreciates leftovers.

I have a "snow day" as the schools are closed for the weather (I'm a school crossing guard) so I'm home hanging out while DH shovels the driveway and sidewalks. We have a snow blower, but he'd rather shovel.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:30 PM   #16179
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I woke up to a dead battery in my Escape. Sometimes the seat belt does not retract all the way, so I'm guessing it might have caught in the door and the interior lights were on all night.
I found the battery dead in my Escape recently, too. I'm impressed that the designers were not only able to design the front seat belts so that they always jam in the door latch, but the rear seat belts are also always jammed in the rear seat back latch.

I charged it up and had it tested and all is good.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:39 PM   #16180

Arrived at the Colorado ski resort and will spend the rest of the week sliding down mountains.

I have been skiing for over 40 years now. The equipment keeps getting better, and injuries are (AFAIK) far fewer these days.

I've always thought it was about as much fun as you can have with all your clothes on.
Closed Thread