Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 03:53 PM   #16261
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Rceived a phone call.

Grandson received his SAT score.

You must all be very proud of him! Is this the IMSA student (SIL is an '97 IMSA grad)?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2015, 04:30 PM   #16262
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I learned a new trick today. Outside in very cold weather with your gloves on, when your iPhone rings you can easily answer it by using your nose to substitute for a fingertip. Works like a charm!
OMG, I do enjoy your posts! lol My gloves have a sensor/pad for use with cell phones.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:05 PM   #16263

Adjusted the throw on the elevator of my model glider, as exciting as that is. Although it was too cold to fly today, I want to be ready when a nice day comes. Went down and practiced on the simulator...kept trying to glide down and hit the wind sock pole...succeded after about 40 tries!
Old 02-13-2015, 08:48 PM   #16264

Went to the hardwood store and bought some red oak for the table I'm building. And a bowl blank for a bowl I'm going to turn on my lathe.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-13-2015, 09:59 PM   #16265
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Drove across Alligator Alley to visit some friends who came down to Key Largo for their anniversary. Our first time to the Atlantic Keys. Went to the Coral Reef Park and did the glass bottom boat thing. Beautiful day for a boat ride. Saw some green sea turtles, barracuda, tons of reef fish and corals. Fantastic. Long tired ride back across the alley, but made it home and are now relaxing with the pups and a couple shots of Bulleits. Excellent day.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:11 PM   #16266

Stopped and smelled the roses lately. Not much else to add to smelling roses. Enjoy it folks.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:11 PM   #16267
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Rceived a phone call.

I suspect they've changed the SAT since I took it. 1600 was a perfect score back then. I'm guessing with 3 dancing cherries the new perfect score is 2400?

No matter what, congrats.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:11 PM   #16268
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Rceived a phone call.

Nice. Smart kid.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:14 PM   #16269
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Drove across Alligator Alley to visit some friends who came down to Key Largo for their anniversary. Our first time to the Atlantic Keys. Went to the Coral Reef Park and did the glass bottom boat thing. Beautiful day for a boat ride. Saw some green sea turtles, barracuda, tons of reef fish and corals. Fantastic. Long tired ride back across the alley, but made it home and are now relaxing with the pups and a couple shots of Bulleits. Excellent day.
I had never heard of Bulleit until last night when we were at a local restaurant that had a cocktail called a Bullleit Beer which was sarsaparilla, bourbon, ginger ale and ginger beer. Since I love ginger beer I thought I would give it a try. Very good. In fact so good I had two since I wasn't driving.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:59 PM   #16270

Gym day, minor grocery run (gaaaa - almost ran out of wine!) and I'd complain about the cold/wind/snow but the New Englanders would just roll their eyes. We're hunkered in until this foolishness with the freezing temperatures stops.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:14 PM   #16271
Recycles dryer sheets

Trip with DH to the Farmer's Market. Bought some Sable Fish for V-day dinner, along with local veg and eggs. Finished our dry laid flagstone path and managed not to kill each other (it's Valentines day after all) Division of jobs helped in that regard. Hot tub soak followed, then made dark chocolate Mayan truffles in honor of the day. About to nip over to a local winery and snag a bottle of wine to have with the fish. Beautiful day in northern Calif (70's) and we are feeling grateful and happy!
Old 02-14-2015, 06:48 PM   #16272

Met some new neighbors this morning. Had an impromptu lunch with them so we got to know each other a little bit.

W@rked on the house most of the day. It was in the low 60s so a very nice day. Supposed to snow the next couple of days. That will be good for the ski slopes.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:20 AM   #16273
Recycles dryer sheets

The wife and I went to a local Philippine / American Valentine dinner/dance/entertainment event. I spoke with a few other retirees, who were more… “experienced”, at retirement than I. Interesting conversations, and event.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:31 AM   #16274
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Gym day, minor grocery run (gaaaa - almost ran out of wine!) and I'd complain about the cold/wind/snow but the New Englanders would just roll their eyes. We're hunkered in until this foolishness with the freezing temperatures stops.
Go for it !

We got another 4 inches overnight. And it is coooooold out. I am finding that it takes a lot for me to bundle up and go outside. If the temperature is above 15F with no wind, I venture out and shovel. Otherwise, I stay in my jammies.

I have some long icicles to attend to with my long PVC pole. But it's too damn cold out with wind chills expected to get very bad. I keep reminding myself...I am very grateful that I am not in MA. Jim Cantore is on site in Plymouth. Unbelievable what is happening out there.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:57 AM   #16275

So far we slept in late, and ummm....

Yea, that's about it. Cold outside. We'll go down to the local graveyard - I mean mall - and walk a few miles. Huge mall, two anchors and a fast food restaurant left. Been almost completely dead for quite a few years - from before 2008.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-15-2015, 02:57 PM   #16276
Full time employment: Posting here.

Finished the cabinets I was building for a small room next to our home theater. Plumbing completed and finished a wine rack with a place to hang some glasses. Been meaning to get this done for quite some time.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:34 PM   #16277
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Met some new neighbors this morning. Had an impromptu lunch with them so we got to know each other a little bit.
I believe your official Hermit status is in danger of being downgraded to semi-Hermit. Just kidding, it sounds like a very nice day.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:38 PM   #16278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
We're hunkered in until this foolishness with the freezing temperatures stops.
I am almost out of coffee. Thought about going to Sam's Club to get some and decided I did not want to go out in this cold. Weather. com says it is 10 degrees and feels like minus 5 degrees. I drink Maxwell House and DH drink Dunkin Donuts coffee. I decided I would suck it up and drink his, if I run out. Now then, if there were not any coffee at all, then I would have definitely gone to get some!
Old 02-15-2015, 03:59 PM   #16279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I believe your official Hermit status is in danger of being downgraded to semi-Hermit. Just kidding, it sounds like a very nice day.
The neighbors, like most all neighbors up here are weekenders. They live northeast of Colorado Springs. They will probably come up a few times a year to enjoy the mountains for a weekend. Don't think I am in danger of losing my "Hermit" status quite yet, but it is getting a bit more crowded!
Old 02-15-2015, 04:15 PM   #16280

Today started out sunny and in the low 30s. Then the grey rolled in. It is now snowing pretty good and in the mid 20s. A good day to stay inside.

I went to church this morning and then to the grocery store. Its my turn to do the meal for our Bible study group. I bought enough to fix beef stew for 12. I am used to cooking for one and calling it cooking is a stretch. I am pretty good at opening a can of Progresso soup or a frozen dinner and heating it in the microwave. My efforts this coming Tuesday should be interesting. I may add a comment after it is over...

My late DW was a wonderful cook and I was quite good at enjoying her meals. She also cooked at our church and would do banquets for up to about 400 people along with a "home cooked" style meal for 100 - 140 every Wednesday. (I was in charge of doing the dishes.)