Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 03:17 PM   #16281
Administrator

We went to the beach again. It's still a bit cool but the sun is nice and the sky clear. A beautiful day.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2015, 05:12 PM   #16282

Talked to DW who is visiting friends in Florida. She sent me a photo of her enjoying a meal at a beautiful cafe next to the beach in gorgeous 70 degree weather. I was at home where it was 9 degrees with high winds. I guess this is payback for the previous week where I was enjoying my Colorado skiing while she stayed home.

We often do separate vacation trips like this, and we like it a lot. Always good to get out and do what you like, and we each appreciate getting back home to each other all the more.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:37 AM   #16283
Moderator Emeritus

Finished my computer storage redo. I now have a portable external drive for all photos and other data that is used by my iMac desktop and Macbook.The macbook is time machine backed up to its own dedicated backup drive. The iMac and portable external drive are backed up to another separate dedicated backup drive. Another NAS is used as a backup for music and video files.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #16284
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I woke up to fabulous sunshine and -3F temperature. Brrrrrrrr...i
The good news is it's a balmy 9F at 2:20 PM.

I felt like doing something in the kitchen today, so I decided to make some homemade yogurt. I have a Cusinart yogurt maker that I drag out a few times a year. It makes delicious plain yogurt, some of which I hang in cheesecloth for a few hours to get the thicker Greek yogurt consistency.

I'm going to make some Middle Eastern flatbread tomorrow using the yogurt. I'm having bread cravings (pretty much eliminated from my diet)and decided to make something healthier than the expensive high salt junk sold in stores.

My gardening buddy is very into healthful eating, and is finally having an influence on me, despite my screaming and kicking past habits of eating a so-so healthy diet.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:47 PM   #16285
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, what do those of us in the PNW do when the forecast calls for a week of pleasant (and dry!) weather? Time to wash the vehicle!

Took the ol' pickup down to the self serve car wash station and got my 15 year old truck into gleaming condition. Then hit the Safeway on the way home to get a few ingredients for a big batch of lentil and black bean soup I am making - should last us the week. And yet again, I'm enjoying the ability to do these things in the middle of the day - minimal traffic, stores quiet...I could really get used to this ER thing.

I am starting to notice looks of curiosity from the local vendors - I think they are curious about the tall, young(ish) fellow who seems to have the remarkable ability to putter about their store, in a decidedly unhurried fashion, during the middle of the day. One checkout person in Safeway in particular seems on the verge of inquiring about my current life status.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:27 PM   #16286
Give me a forum ...

Got up, checked thermometer, -8F. Scratched some strategic places, had breakfest. Did a mini workout plus 8 pullups on the basement I beam.

Around noon cranked up the suburban which was parked outside, temp -3F by then. Thanks to fine engineering the CD player dutifully kicked on and played the classical piano CD therein. Went for coffe, on the way back stopped at the town's edge at a little pond to see if ice is good enough to skate on. Way too bumpy so passed.

Came home an just wasted the rest of the day untill DW announced DINNER.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:37 PM   #16287
Administrator

Gave blood. Brewed up 2-1/2 gallons of hard cider.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:07 PM   #16288
Moderator Emeritus

Watched temp drop for 75F to 40F today as cold front moves in.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:10 PM   #16289
Give me a forum ...

Sold another miniature steam engine on eBay. I'm planning on moving in about 18 months or so, so I've decided to sell all the collectible stuff I never use any more so that I can have the cash now and don't have to dust it or move it.

It feels good to get rid of stuff.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:55 PM   #16290
Give me a forum ...

We had library passes today for the California Academy of Science at Golden Gate park. We got a nice chance to come eye to eye with some of the penguins (through the glass).

If you are a penguin fan, here is a video (the penguin web cam is offline for now):
https://www.calacademy.org/explore-s...e-penguin-cams
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 02-16-2015, 09:30 PM   #16291
Give me a forum ...

It's not quite cold enough to invoke the Rodeo Song
only -8F now.

I went out drinking beer with my gardening buddy for a little while.
Mr B was out doing his formal Legion meeting stuff from 5:30 til 9:30.

I came home at 9:45 with a nice little buzz on and made pancakes for myself. Mr B ate at the Legion.

It's a dirty j*b, but somebody had to do it. I loaded up my Crystal Gayle CDs, popped another top, and am doing some enhanced dancing in the living room.

I asked Mr B if I needed to turn down Crystal so he could sleep. He said no, this is great music, leave the door open so he could listen.

2 dyed in the wool Yankees (close to NYC and Boston born) still know great music when we hear it.

Crystal was singing "Cry Me A River"...sweet...and now "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue"...wow. Voce dolce.

followed by "Someday Soon"...sing it girl !

Old 02-17-2015, 12:11 PM   #16292
Recycles dryer sheets

Was expecting sun but woke to overcast skies. Still put my shorts on, one can hope for better things later in the day. So right now it's an errand day - laundry, spruce up the kitchen, get the dog her meds and then a nice glass of icy cold Prosecco in the afternoon with nibbly bits. I like this retirement thing.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #16293

Woke up early for some reason, putzed around waking up and fired up the snow thrower to clear the ~3" of snow we had last night. Did our driveway/sidewalk and the next door neighbor's (the one in his 80's) and he told us that his wife is going to assisted living next week. She barely walks and he's been taking care of her. She rarely comes outside. He said that he's losing his memory and she is going to assisted living next week. And I noticed that the side of the garage entrance had been grazed by a car. This guy is meticulous in home upkeep and just about everything - he used to design satellite navigation systems.

Their daughter stopped by and I talked to her for a bit. There has been much hemming and hawing over the last year about what to do about their conditions and ability to live on their own. The final decision is that the daughter and her husband are going to move in next door with the father and sell their house a few miles away. I sure hope that works out for everyone. I pointed out the grazed entrance to the garage and she said she was aware of it and wasn't sure what to do about him driving. We can sure understand that since we went through that dilemma a few years ago.

So many people having to deal with elderly parents. Tough road no matter what you do.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #16294
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Scratched some strategic places...
Or, as my cousin used to say, "I scratched my watch and wound my a$$..."

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 02-17-2015, 12:37 PM   #16295
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Woke up early for some reason, putzed around waking up and fired up the snow thrower to clear the ~3" of snow we had last night. Did our driveway/sidewalk and the next door neighbor's (the one in his 80's) and he told us that his wife is going to assisted living next week. She barely walks and he's been taking care of her. She rarely comes outside. He said that he's losing his memory and she is going to assisted living next week. And I noticed that the side of the garage entrance had been grazed by a car. This guy is meticulous in home upkeep and just about everything - he used to design satellite navigation systems.

Their daughter stopped by and I talked to her for a bit. There has been much hemming and hawing over the last year about what to do about their conditions and ability to live on their own. The final decision is that the daughter and her husband are going to move in next door with the father and sell their house a few miles away. I sure hope that works out for everyone. I pointed out the grazed entrance to the garage and she said she was aware of it and wasn't sure what to do about him driving. We can sure understand that since we went through that dilemma a few years ago.

So many people having to deal with elderly parents. Tough road no matter what you do.
I've probably said this before, but when my DD asked me if I was going to be stubborn about coming down out of the mountains when it was time, I told her I knew I couldn't stay up here when I got older. Then after my first summer here in retirement, I told her "I changed my mind!" I would only go kicking and screaming all the way! I was only kidding. (Maybe)
Old 02-17-2015, 01:38 PM   #16296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
Well, what do those of us in the PNW do when the forecast calls for a week of pleasant (and dry!) weather? Time to wash the vehicle!
Good to hear there's good weather up in your neck of the woods. I'm heading up to Bellingham to visit my BFF and her husband this weekend. I had to hunt for my old rain parka bought when I lived up there.

I guess it might be pushing it to bring shorts and flip flops to the NW in February. LOL. (Even if that's what I'm wearing right now, here in San Diego.)
Old 02-17-2015, 01:55 PM   #16297
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I guess it might be pushing it to bring shorts and flip flops to the NW in February. LOL. (Even if that's what I'm wearing right now, here in San Diego.)
Now that's rubbing it in just a bit.

It was -7 on the way into town this morning.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:49 PM   #16298
Recycles dryer sheets

Rodi, gonna be close to 60F and sunny here in Vancouver, so I suspect it will be similar just south of here across the border. Hope you have a nice PNW visit!
Old 02-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #16299
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

e-filed my Federal tax return. Fingers crossed, hoping no one else beat me to it!
Old 02-18-2015, 12:20 AM   #16300
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
e-filed my Federal tax return. Fingers crossed, hoping no one else beat me to it!
Feels good to have that done for another year, doesn't it!

Early this morning I encountered a pleasant surprise - - the delivery of a video game console that I very much wanted and had pre-ordered back in January. Since it's pretty hard to go anywhere on Mardi Gras here once the parades are underway, I decided to stay home and thoroughly test it out with some excellent video games. I determined that it works beautifully.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Closed Thread