Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 11:26 AM   #16341

The last few days have been busy.
Wed I found out my Italian teacher is reneging on her offer to let me take the exam this coming Monday after class Wed, or after class the following Wed. (I will be out of town on Monday - and she rescheduled from the original test date.) Good thing she drops one test score - because I'll now have a locked in F for Monday's exam.

Then I took my younger son to the orthopedist... They removed the temp cast, re-xrayed, confirmed the break - but it's a very minor fracture - no displacement... 6 weeks in a cast should do it. Talked to his baseball coach - he'll miss the first month of the season, but they'll let him play after that.

Then I went to a school forum. Our magnet IB middle school lost some grants for next year - looks like they will be challenged to fully meet the IB criteria. Fortunately, I already put in an application to the other middle school that offers international baccalaureate middle years program. This forum was 3 days AFTER the deadline to apply to other magnet schools in the district... coincidence? I think not.

Yesterday and this morning I started the day with walks on the beach with the dog.
Yesterday I finished our taxes and did a costco run.
Today I'm doing laundry and housework - all prep to leave DH with a "readied" house as he plays single dad and I head to the Northwest tonight to visit my best friend.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #16342
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
...It's a dirty j*b, but somebody had to do it. I loaded up my Crystal Gayle CDs, popped another top, and am doing some enhanced dancing in the living room...
I went to Google and could not find "enhanced dancing". Just what is this "enhanced dancing" you speak of?

Old 02-20-2015, 01:29 PM   #16343

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I went to Google and could not find "enhanced dancing". Just what is this "enhanced dancing" you speak of?
Most likely 6" stilettos and matching mini skirt
Old 02-20-2015, 02:37 PM   #16344
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Nope...dancing enhanced by a nice beer buzz.

No beer for me for the next month...I'm on antibiotics for a minor (thank god) root abscess and then...oh joy...I get one tooth extracted on March 5th, then another on March 17th. Argh.

It will be one heck of a party once I'm cleared of all this nonsense.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #16345

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Quote:
Nope...dancing enhanced by a nice beer buzz.

It will be one heck of a party once I'm cleared of all this nonsense.
Put all this together and we got something serious going on.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:19 PM   #16346
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No beer for me for the next month...I'm on antibiotics for a minor (thank god) root abscess and then...oh joy...I get one tooth extracted on March 5th, then another on March 17th. Argh.
I've always found that a good dousing with 80 proof or higher alcohol is at least as effective as an antibiotic.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:19 AM   #16347
Recycles dryer sheets

First off, started catching up on some threads here and leanred that the Anthem hack also included affiliated BCBS in several states, including ours. Rut row! Checked the BCBS site, and no mention of it it there - see no evil, speak no evil... OK, signed up with AllClearID, will see where that gets me.

Next order of business, for kicks followed up on Federal efile & logged in to see how the IRS felt about things - return approved, and refund to be deposited soon - only 8 days after submitting, not bad.

Now to wait for today's FedEx delivery of adult signature required, uh, investment in wine futures
Old 02-22-2015, 07:00 AM   #16348

Many people take a trip when they retire. I'm getting into flute playing big time. Spending this weekend at a flute convention, and I'm having a blast. We were snowed in at the hotel basically. Leaving late today but the roads will be fine by then. Gotta show off my new baby--it's a bass flute. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1424610009.492847.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-22-2015, 07:23 AM   #16349
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Many people take a trip when they retire. I'm getting into flute playing big time. Spending this weekend at a flute convention, and I'm having a blast. We were snowed in at the hotel basically. Leaving late today but the roads will be fine by then. Gotta show off my new baby--it's a bass flute.
Molto cool! I'm in the process of teaching myself to almost be able to play flute, so I can add it to the large collection of instruments I can almost play. I've always been drawn to the bass genre of any instrument. Bass guitar, bari and bass sax, contra bass clarinet are all in my repertoire of poorly played instruments. I like to feel the notes in my belly when I play. I'm going to have to look for some bass flute videos. It looks like it could be difficult to hold, but I'm sure there's a trick to it.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:33 AM   #16350

A very busy day yesterday. DW was out all day (and has been busy lately) so I washed two loads, straightened the house, shopped for groceries, made dinner, cleaned the kitchen. She helped by steaming the asparagus, I marinated and grilled lamb chops and made some really tasty roasted red potatoes.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:25 AM   #16351

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Molto cool! I'm in the process of teaching myself to almost be able to play flute, so I can add it to the large collection of instruments I can almost play. I've always been drawn to the bass genre of any instrument. Bass guitar, bari and bass sax, contra bass clarinet are all in my repertoire of poorly played instruments. I like to feel the notes in my belly when I play. I'm going to have to look for some bass flute videos. It looks like it could be difficult to hold, but I'm sure there's a trick to it.

There is a crutch that rests on your thigh and under flute. Makes it a piece of cake!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-22-2015, 03:01 PM   #16352
Moderator Emeritus

Spring is early, and the last (and only) rain this year was sufficient to germinate every weed seed in the yard. So, weeding. Then more weeding. Oh, and I also weeded.

With a double Advil chaser, of course.

This afternoon I'm on my back, head inside the kitchen cabinets, measuring and making notes on all the failed bits. The cabinets are the finest 28 year old contractor-grade particleboard, with (now very brittle) plastic 'glides' and moving parts. Everything is failing. The bottoms are disintegrating, the hinges are rusted through, and the glides don't glide. The Formica top is busily delaminating.

I actually have a large sum set aside for a complete kitchen rehab, but DW has decided that would be too disruptive. It falls to me then to keep the kitchen usable while trying to patch over the failing bits. I am sorely tempted to just shrug and say "Gosh, I can't figure out how to fix this!", and let it disintegrate.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:09 PM   #16353

Gym day & minor grocery run with DW, enjoyed 48° F weather. Sadly, it will not last and the icy grip of winter descends upon us again tomorrow. But at least we have a good start on melting the snow.

Found out TT had all the state tax forms needed so I finished that and it's ready to snail-mail. Not paying the fee for e-filing.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:31 PM   #16354

Shoveling snow this morning and then the sun came out to help.

MichaelB, I am impressed by all the men on this forum that can cook. It's one of the few areas that my husband does not excel.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:11 PM   #16355
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
MichaelB, I am impressed by all the men on this forum that can cook. It's one of the few areas that my husband does not excel.
Yabbut....most of them are ER and have time to putter around in the kitchen. IIRC your DH is still w*rking. You never know!

I am a woman and I have become quite interested in cooking after ER. This morning I chopped up the sugar pumpkins I bought in the Fall and made pumpkin purée and roasted garlic pumpkin seeds. Time consuming, but so fun!
Old 02-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #16356
Administrator

It was warmer today, with temperatures in the mid 70's (F) so I enjoyed spending the day in shorts, a light top, and sandals. Frank and I went out to lunch. Even though I didn't eat much, after I dropped him off and came home I accidently took a nap in my easy chair. I fell so soundly asleep that when I awakened, I didn't know where I was or if it was day or night. I did know that I am retired, though, and so I knew that it didn't matter.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-22-2015, 06:10 PM   #16357
Give me a forum ...

I built several trellises in preparation for the snap peas that are coming up.

I bought cedar fencing boards that are 6' long x 6" wide, then ripped them into square sticks to build the trellis. It turned out that each 6' x 3' trellis cost me only $7, and I spaced the sticks at 6" spacing. This makes it a lot sturdier than the ready-made trellis at Home Depot that is made with 12" spacing, and they want $14 for a flimsy 6' x 2' one.

I also took care to staple the sticks front-to-back and also back-to-front at each junction. Even with a pneumatic stapler and a power saw, it took me 3 hours to build 3 trellises. I am not done, and will build several more tomorrow.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:32 PM   #16358
Moderator Emeritus

Early church then meet stepdaughter and boyfriend for breakfast. Worked on taxes for a bit. Walked the dog and noticed the cold front coming in.

Generally goofed off for the afternoon except for cleaning up my workbench and opening a box that was unopened from our move to this house in 11/2013. The box was full of electrical wire, tools, old auto bulbs, a new fog light assembly, a tube of CV joint grease, some bags of fasteners and nut plates. I suppose I really have not missed this stuff in the last 14 months. Sorted it and stored it appropriately until such time as I need an item.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:36 PM   #16359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Yabbut....most of them are ER and have time to putter around in the kitchen. IIRC your DH is still w*rking. You never know!

I am a woman and I have become quite interested in cooking after ER. This morning I chopped up the sugar pumpkins I bought in the Fall and made pumpkin purée and roasted garlic pumpkin seeds. Time consuming, but so fun!
Don't think he'll ever take an interest but he has many others things he enjoys like wood carving, wood turning, creates tools for my metal and enamel work, drawing, working on our cars. He's one of those people that can pick up something for the first time and do it like he's been doing it forever. He watched me making Viking knit chain and made one without any instruction from me.
Don't think I've ever heard of garlic pumpkin seeds. Can they be bought?
Old 02-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #16360
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Don't think I've ever heard of garlic pumpkin seeds. Can they be bought?
I have no idea. I got the idea from the Toasted Pumpkin Seeds here

All About Pumpkins - Quick and Easy Pumpkin Recipes

and I added Garlic Chips because I like garlic.