Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 05:31 PM   #16381

Weeded the garden so DH could out in some new seeds and plants. Too advantage if a very temporary dip in airfare to buy our tickets to Europe for the summer . splurging on business class because it was so low. (Price had since gone back up....). Kids are flying in the back of the plane. Is a splurge but one I've had fantasies about.... Especially since they came out with the last flat suites.

Now I'm at the orthopedist's office getting my sons broken elbow checked.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 06:13 PM   #16382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
The injury to Kane has got to really hurt. I'm a life long Canucks fan, so my sympathy has limits.
I understand your sympathy. I like the Sedins, but I'd feel the same way if either of the twins went down. Yep it is going to be rough without Kane. The Blackhawks will probably face the Canucks again in the playoffs, so they better find an offense. Hasn't been a great 48 hours in Chicago - Derrick Rose is out for the year with another knee injury.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:23 PM   #16383
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Put all this together and we got something serious going on.
T minus 48 hours until my last antibiotic pill is taken. Then I have 3 days to misbehave until the bad tooth extraction is performed on March 5th.

Look out ! Sunday is gonna be a doozie !!!!

I am making homemade shrimp and crab bisque today. Still can't chew resilient foods due to 2 wobblers. I have to cut everything up in small pieces.
I got burned out on eating rice with cream soup. So I switched to tater tots and pork flavored gravy from a jar.
Mr B bought me fresh bananas, frozen strawberries, and 2 huge containers of cottage cheese and Greek yogurt. My gardening buddy brought me papaya and kiwi. All of this fruit will be chopped or ground up and mixed with yogurt. Yum yum...

It's been interesting going almost completely meat free for 10 days. When all is said and done, I'm going to splurge on the biggest damn steak I can find.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:41 PM   #16384
Recycles dryer sheets

Got a call from a (still working) co-worker, asking me how I liked not working anymore. It took only that phone conversation for me to immediately realize, and convey to the caller how much I was enjoying no longer being in the pressure cooker environment we had shared, and that the relaxed feeling of retirement was incredibly liberating. The co-worker and I had compared notes on various aspects of retirement in the past when I was still working and I knew he was seriously close to the edge himself, and he let me know his ER date was set for April this year. I congratulated him, and let him know I'd be expecting a cold beer to help celebrate!
Old 02-27-2015, 12:49 PM   #16385
Give me a forum ...

Went to the dentist yesterday morning to get fitted for a replacement crown. Due to my as normal resistance to novocaine the Dr. had to numb the hell out of me, going in under the tooth and into the ligament. Spent the rest of the day feeling like somebody had kicked me in the face.

Today our house guests headed back to the frozen tundra of the Baltimore suburbs. No more excuses to party. Time to start cooking at home, watching what I eat, and getting back to swimming and Tai Chi. This year and last year both DW and I gained a significant amount of weight in our FL half year, even though we're pretty active down here. Must be the restaurant food. This year I want to go back north (in May) at least in no worse shape than I was when I got here.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #16386
Recycles dryer sheets

Yesterday went to my spa place and had a medicure/pedicure/100 minute massage/haircut package.

Today tried a new Korean restaurant that opened up recently that is about 4 blocks from my house. Talked to the owner and she will have personalized dishes prepared that I can heat up and eat throughout the week. The two cooks are 83 and 72 years old and they can really sling the chow. Starting Sunday at 1pm, I can start picking up the booty.

Tonight going to a bar that has a really good cover band playing; The Clash, Fleetmac, Pat Benatar, Joan Jett, Bon Jovi, Van Halen, type stuff.

Tomorrow sleep until at least noon, hopefully not alone.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:32 PM   #16387
Full time employment: Posting here.

I made it. As of now, I am eligible for a pension. I needed to make it to the last day of the month that I turned 50 years old.

ER date is not set in stone but will be on or before June 12 of this year. My manager has whispered to me that I might be able to get a severance package in Q2. It will be a nice windfall if it happens. In the meantime I will be putting in my time and trying not to let the BS bucket fill up. I've already started leaving a bit early when I feel like it, figuring it will take a while before anyone notices and then a while longer for them to act on it (i.e. yell at me)
Old 02-27-2015, 03:35 PM   #16388
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Upgraded one of my basement PCs to Linux mint 17.1 from 16. The other one was a gift which by original owner's request had its hard drive destroyed, then one my drives installed and loaded with Linux 17.1 Mate. Now both of the basement machines are up to the latest in Linux. On which machine I am writing this. Only on desktop left with Windoze. IIRC that has win7.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:53 PM   #16389

Went to Trader Joe's and bought the woman I'm currently living with three bunches of flowers for Valentine's Day.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:35 PM   #16390
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Went to Trader Joe's and bought the woman I'm currently living with three bunches of flowers for Valentine's Day.
Ok, I'll take the bait....which calendar are you operating with ?
Old 02-27-2015, 04:43 PM   #16391
Full time employment: Posting here.

what did you do today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

Probably the one that says flowers are 80% off after Valentine's Day!
Old 02-27-2015, 04:47 PM   #16392

Quote:
Quote:
I was wondering how many other women he lives with when he's not living with that one.

Reminds me of an old joke:

A guy (looking outside toward the street through the curtains) says to his wife: "Say, there's that woman Bill Smith is in love with, walking down the street".

His wife drops a bowl of spaghetti sauce on the floor and while sprinting to the living room trips, falls, and breaks the leg off an antique table and smashing the table lamp inherited from her great-grandmother. She get up, and hobbling in pain to the window, says "You ninny! That's his wife!"

Husband says, "Of course...."
Old 02-27-2015, 06:08 PM   #16393
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Went to Trader Joe's and bought the woman I'm currently living with ...
Maybe I should try there. I've been looking at Costco but haven't seen any worth bringing home.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:37 PM   #16394

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Maybe I should try there. I've been looking at Costco but haven't seen any worth bringing home.
Try Costco again. They have a great return policy and you get an extra year's warranty.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:04 PM   #16395

All is well. The woman I currently live with seemed to be simply over-whelmed by the flowers and, in return, gave me this sweet poem she cut out of a magazine. She said she cut it out a while ago, but was waiting for the perfect time to give it to me.

NOW

Now that you’ve (almost) learned to send flowers, (almost) remember
birthdays and not-so-much rememberValentines Day,

Now that you can cook tacos and toss salads,

Now that you can take someone out to dinner and
choose a bottle of wine,

Now that you know the proper ways to make love to
me (and apparently my sister).

Now that you’ve developed a sense of what I like,

You can go give it away to someone who won’t need
to ask.

Now that your housebroken,

Now that I spent nearly sixteen years trying to
articulate my desires and learning to meet your
needs,

Now that we’ve been through that, it’s too hard to
live with you any more.

We both have to start over with someone else.

I’m not begrudging you what you are now.

I don’t want it at this point.

It was too difficult getting there and it’s always
better when you don’t have to ask.

But, when is someone going to come along who needs
hardly any instruction?

Someone who’s already had basic training with
someone else?

The poem is kinda touching, right?
(poem has been slightly edited and modified)
Old 02-27-2015, 10:51 PM   #16396
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Why three? (one usually is OK)
Old 02-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #16397

Quote:
It's a Jehovah Witness calendar.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:30 PM   #16398

DW calls to me, "There is something under the dishwasher". I walk over, there is indeed something under the dishwasher. I retrieve and examine it, photographed it.

I then announced "Yup, that's something all right".

DW said "I'm so glad I married you so I always know what is going on".

It looks like a dried-up bit of cork-like gasket material. Or something.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg something.jpg (60.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 02-28-2015, 04:18 PM   #16399

Binge watched House of Cards on Nerflix
Old 02-28-2015, 04:30 PM   #16400
Moderator Emeritus

Working out my 'wish list' for a major kitchen remodel. The current kitchen is 28 years old, built with the finest contractor-grade particleboard appointments. Much of it is disintegrating. Heck, the wallboard is even delaminating, and I've never seen that before.

I'm playing around with layouts, features I want, things I don't want, and so on. I've got floorplans and lists. DW has us meeting with an interior designer Monday. An interior designer, and an INTJ retired engineer on the same project, in the same meeting.

What could possibly go wrong?