Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 05:39 PM   #16441
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I've graduated to semi-soft food. I made some really good ground shrimp patties for dipping into soy sauce. Today I made some ground chicken breast patties to dip into Chinese duck sauce for dinner tonight. I may not be able to chew too well but I am not starving. ...
I had it a lot worse when I had all four wisdom teeth out in one shot in my 20s. All four teeth were impacted (the X-ray showed they were growing horizontally and pushing against the next molars).

The surgeon must have used an impact hammer to get them out because both sides of my face were black and blue. I was not able to even open my mouth to speak for about a week, so I spoke through my teeth. And when I came back a week later for him to remove the suture, I was able to open my mouth just about enough to fit a spoon between my front teeth.

Oh man! What an ordeal. My wife, my kids, none had as much pain with wisdom teeth removal as I did.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

what did you do today?
Old 03-07-2015, 06:12 PM   #16442
Recycles dryer sheets

what did you do today?

Had such a fun day with DD. Her 7th birthday is in a few weeks so we spent time picking out all the fun details for her party, both online and at a few stores. Then we went to the library and the park.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:33 PM   #16443

It's an all sports/chauffeuring weekend for this mom. Last night we had pizza at the local pizza shop with younger son's basketball team (they were out of the playoffs last weekend.) We walked from there over to the rec center to watch older son lose his playoff game. Unfortunately, the loss could have been avoided. Refs mad a bad call. Our asst. coach started yelling. Refs (both of them) got ticked off and started clearly making calls that didn't make sense. (Our team would do a clear pick - feet planted, arms crossed, get knocked down, and have foul called on them.) Our coached got more angry - including some foul language by the asst. coach. He was expelled. Technical fouls issued, head coach gets mad, more technical fouls called. 8 freethrows for the other team, and both coaches expelled. We lost by 6 points.

I understand the coach's anger at the calls... but they lost the game for the kids with their poor sportsmanship.

Today is opening day of baseball. Big parade/ceremony. Took younger son to his game. (He was batboy since he still has a cast on for his elbow break). DH is at older son's game. We're going with older son's team to the same pizza joint as last night. Ugh.

I wish the weather were more winter/spring like... it was over 90 degrees at the first game. It's dropped to 80 now.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:17 PM   #16444
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I had it a lot worse when I had all four wisdom teeth out in one shot in my 20s. All four teeth were impacted (the X-ray showed they were growing horizontally and pushing against the next molars).

The surgeon must have used an impact hammer to get them out because both sides of my face were black and blue. I was not able to even open my mouth to speak for about a week, so I spoke through my teeth. And when I came back a week later for him to remove the suture, I was able to open my mouth just about enough to fit a spoon between my front teeth.

Oh man! What an ordeal. My wife, my kids, none had as much pain with wisdom teeth removal as I did.
Ouch. Quadruple ouch.

I also had all 4 of my wisdoms out at one time, procedure done by an oral surgeon. I lived on mashed potatoes and cheese for a week.

Once this extraction heals, I have to have 2 more teeth, on the other upper side, removed on the 17th. Bone loss from periodontal disease in my 30s left me with some teeth that wobbled slightly back then. 25 years later, they are goners. I am looking at either a bridge or a partial plate. I already have a 3 tooth bridge near the current extraction site.

Am I having fun yet ?

All this is not fun, but necessary. Sigh.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:23 PM   #16445
Moderator Emeritus

We ran an emergency training exercise here in town today for the community radio and emergency response groups. I got to play Emergency Operations Center. :-) It actually went better than I thought it would. It appears that folks actually paid attention in our little training sessions.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:58 PM   #16446
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Once this extraction heals, I have to have 2 more teeth, on the other upper side, removed on the 17th...
Oh boy!

Human teeth are such high-maintenance items. How did people cope in the old days, before modern dentistry? Oh, most of them did not make it to our age now for other reasons anyway, to worry about teeth.

And this talk reminds me of the time I visited a New Zealand farm. It was explained to me that the sheep had to be culled at about 2 years, mainly because by that time their teeth got so worn out from eating rough vegetation, and they could not eat.

Imagine if we had no false teeth to allow us to eat.

PS. My memory must be failing me; the 2-year life seems extremely short, so it must have been longer. Anyway, I remember being surprised that a sheep's life was determined by the health of its teeth, which it had no control over because it depended on the type of vegetation it had available to eat.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:39 PM   #16447
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dw and I road the bikes to this great lil place along the river. It was 60 today oh my. The food was meh...but the birds chirping and the low river was great. The geese and ducks paired up means babies soon
Old 03-08-2015, 06:45 AM   #16448

Changed the clocks this morning.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:50 AM   #16449
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday we went to the river camp to check things out, hope to open it up soon if the warmer weather holds. We had record lows on Friday night (about 4 degrees) and then up over 50 on Saturday. Snow melting fast! River was up about a foot at the camp. Inside the house it was still at 30 degrees, had to go outside to warm up. Water in the refrigerator was frozen. Up until this visit, the fridge had managed to keep things at liquid temps but too many sub freezing nights in a row. The previous owner had told us that he usually kept any liquids stored at the camp over the winter in the fridge to keep them from freezing?

Might be able turn the water back on in a week or so- nights in the 30's are okay, just don't want to risk the pipes much lower than that.

More warm weather due here today, we're ready!
Old 03-08-2015, 02:08 PM   #16450

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yeow! I didn't know how lucky I was when I had two wisdom teeth pulled by the dentist, not oral surgeon. Worst part was the noise it made.

Thinking I would be in misery my sister later brought over a large pot of homemade chicken soup, only to find me and a buddy eating pizza and drinking beer while watching "The Battle of Britain" on TV. I wasn't up for running a marathon or anything but I didn't feel bad at all.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:33 PM   #16451
Give me a forum ...

The surgeon knocked me out cold with general anesthesia, so I did not know what he did. I simply woke up dazed, with my mouth full of gauze.

DW drove me home, where I spent the next 24 hours in bed, with my head on a bath towel to catch the bloody drool. Graphic enough for ya?

My wife and children were also sedated by general anesthesia for wisdom teeth removal, but they suffered much less pain and recovered a lot faster.

PS. The pain that persisted for a month or so afterwards changed the way I chewed, and contributed to my TMJ disorder. Soon after, when I ate, my jaw made funny click-clack sounds, loud enough that people at the dinner table looked at me and asked if I was OK.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:05 PM   #16452
Give me a forum ...

I had my four wisdom teeth removed about 20 years ago, under local anesthesia on a Friday afternoon after much manipulation by my dentist. She gave me a prescription for Tylenol with codeine, which I picked up at the pharmacy on the way home (I drove). I took my first painkiller that evening and was able to stop taking them by Sunday. I blended a lot of smoothies and watched a lot of movies that weekend. I returned to work on Monday and did a 24 hour shift.

I don't know why I got off so lightly. I guess I had a strong work ethic at that time. I had originally planned to go back to work afterwards, but my dentist nixed that idea!

Old 03-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #16453

My new 'hobby' in FIRE is to Google places in San Diego that look interesting to go check out.

I do this on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays - just cuz I'm still used to 'structure'.

Today I wanted to take the coastal streets from La Jolla to Bird Rock and stop along the way.

What a fantastic relaxing morning - no traffic, plenty of places to park, get out and just enjoy the beautiful clear cool weather and the ocean.

I snapped some shots along the way.

Drove back past La Jolla Shores, UCSD, then back down thru Carmel Valley.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:45 PM   #16454
Give me a forum ...

Today I attended a social event at someone's home. She is a very unassuming person. Her house was beautiful. Everything in it was just perfect. It exceeded my expectations. After returning chez moi I Googled real estate listings for the neighbourhood. It's a million dollar home, at least. It was salutary to realize that I will never, ever live in a home like that. And that's just fine with me.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:32 AM   #16455

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERTX View Post
Appreciate that prof12. That is the 3rd time since I have got back (in 11 months) from the States - nearly 6 years in Thailand, never had a problem. Bad thing is I have 11 bills on autopay that I am going to have to change. I have not been as lucky as you about getting charges waived. First hit was $2K, second hit was $1.8K and this looks like a $6K hit coming up. I guess I need to look into a credit card protection system when I get the new card tomorrow in the mail. Thank you again. Just got to keep chugging along and roll with the punches.

------------
My nephews (12 and 15) are coming down from ABQ on the train on Friday and want to go to the Monster Trucks this weekend - gulp. THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF MONSTER JAM - Event - El Paso, TX

I thought most credit cards limit you to a small amount for fraudulent charges. My card caught a charge of $1 on an Internet gambling site and informed me immediately, locked out the card and sent a new one, new number. My card company wouldn't let ME make a $1K purchase at a second hand shop until I called them and gave them all my credentials (passwords) and told them what I was buying and why I was there. The credit card companies have insurance against fraud, you don't. Check their policy. I think they should foot more of the bill. You may want to change card companies. It doesn't sound like your company has a good fraud alert system. I let the card company know when I'm traveling and call ahead for large purchases. I want them to lock me out if I don't do these steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-10-2015, 07:13 AM   #16456

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
I thought most credit cards limit you to a small amount for fraudulent charges. My card caught a charge of $1 on an Internet gambling site and informed me immediately, locked out the card and sent a new one, new number. My card company wouldn't let ME make a $1K purchase at a second hand shop until I called them and gave them all my credentials (passwords) and told them what I was buying and why I was there. The credit card companies have insurance against fraud, you don't. Check their policy. I think they should foot more of the bill. You may want to change card companies. It doesn't sound like your company has a good fraud alert system. I let the card company know when I'm traveling and call ahead for large purchases. I want them to lock me out if I don't do these steps.
We are liable for a maximum of $50 for fraudulent credit card charges for cards issued in the US. See here for details https://www.fdic.gov/consumers/consu...ctplastic.html
Old 03-10-2015, 09:30 AM   #16457

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
My new 'hobby' in FIRE is to Google places in San Diego that look interesting to go check out.

I do this on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays - just cuz I'm still used to 'structure'.

Today I wanted to take the coastal streets from La Jolla to Bird Rock and stop along the way.

What a fantastic relaxing morning - no traffic, plenty of places to park, get out and just enjoy the beautiful clear cool weather and the ocean.

I snapped some shots along the way.

Drove back past La Jolla Shores, UCSD, then back down thru Carmel Valley.

Thanks for posting photos. I think I'll take DH there on a day trip when he gets back from dealing with his dad's recent close encounters with the floor and ER. :-(

Will you PM me the best way to get there and where to park?
Old 03-10-2015, 12:32 PM   #16458

Workout in the morning then off to get car inspected. Emissions and safety. Unfortunately had to go to Ford dealer, as the state of PA requires tailpipe emission test. All the independents have got rid of their tailpipe testers, too expensive to maintain.

Passed with flying colors and 0.1 CO. Darn good for a 95, 145000 miles car.

Yes they did have free coffee and did not recommend any stuff to do for $$$ profits.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:23 PM   #16459
Give me a forum ...

Signed a contract on a condo today. Less than ten miles from current house. DW and I agreed (yes, it's possible!) that it's just about perfect for us. Right price, fantastic ambiance, truly "lock and leave" compatible, and the condo association (very small, only 20 units) is both solvent and apparently without rancor. Very excited about moving into it.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:03 PM   #16460
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Signed a contract on a condo today. Less than ten miles from current house. DW and I agreed (yes, it's possible!) that it's just about perfect for us. Right price, fantastic ambiance, truly "lock and leave" compatible, and the condo association (very small, only 20 units) is both solvent and apparently without rancor. Very excited about moving into it.
Congratulations on finding the perfect condo for the two of you!! It sounds terrific.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Closed Thread