Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #16461

BBQ nut. Those are great pics. I love that area.

It was super low tide at LA Jolla shores this morning so my walk was extended up to Black's beach. Only nudist creatures I saw were some seals on the beach.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2015, 11:47 AM   #16462
Recycles dryer sheets

Technically, this was a couple of days ago. I spent 5 days on "my island" trying to get the majority of my garden prep done. This is a garden site that has been dormant for 5 years - the encroaching forest has been in the process of swallowing it up. Now that I am ER'ed, I am determined to become a gardener of some proficiency. Many hours were spent hacking and whacking the blackberries, honeysuckle, wild rose, and salal into submission. Not ready to plant quite yet, as it is still a bit cool and the ground too wet...but soon.

It wasn't all work though - the weather was picture perfect here on the B.C. coast, so I hauled the boat out of storage and got some amazing afternoon paddles in. Don't remember a finer early March weekend...it was glorious.

https://vimeo.com/121810187

Old 03-11-2015, 12:31 PM   #16463
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a short reprieve before the next extraction session on the 17th. I'm able to eat some regular foods now. I've lost 4 pounds since March 5th so that's my silver lining.

I've been researching partial dentures online. What an education ! I am going to go for the Valplast flexible partial. I can afford it. My dentist had hinted that there were all sorts of hi-tech options out there instead of the old fashioned uncomfortable acrylic or metal type partials. He knows I'm a techie at heart so he told me to go look at options before my next visit.

All in all I'm feeling optimistic about the whole process in spite of the cringe factor.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:13 PM   #16464
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
Technically, this was a couple of days ago. I spent 5 days on "my island" trying to get the majority of my garden prep done. This is a garden site that has been dormant for 5 years - the encroaching forest has been in the process of swallowing it up. Now that I am ER'ed, I am determined to become a gardener of some proficiency. Many hours were spent hacking and whacking the blackberries, honeysuckle, wild rose, and salal into submission. Not ready to plant quite yet, as it is still a bit cool and the ground too wet...but soon.

It wasn't all work though - the weather was picture perfect here on the B.C. coast, so I hauled the boat out of storage and got some amazing afternoon paddles in. Don't remember a finer early March weekend...it was glorious.
Thanks for the video. What were the air temps like?
A word about your garden. Don't know what type of garden you are looking to install but going with perennial native plants has it's advantages. The plants adapt easier, once they are established you don't have to water them and perennials come back every year. Watch out if you remove undergrowth, it may be what's holding the soil in place. You don't want soil erosion. If you like certain annuals you can place large planters around your garden for statement pieces. Large planters (got an old kayak, I've used partially rotted tree trunks for planters) don't dry out as fast as small ones. Hanging baskets are the worst for plants. The sun and wind dry them out too fast. Just because you're retired you don't want to be watering plants constantly.
edit: forgot to add, watch out for invasive plants. It can be pretty in a small clump but hard to control as it takes over.
2nd edit: I bought more stock today.....yay!
Old 03-11-2015, 05:14 PM   #16465

Oh... Wow! Fifty five degrees. The first time since last November for the bike. Pumped up the tires, a fast oil spray, and everthing worked. Short ride, just to check and see how the muscles and balance worked after 5 months of getting older. It felt good.
Sunshine, no wind, and Spring is on its way.

What a great life.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #16466

I biked too...77 degrees! Rode on a path I carved behind my house a month or so ago. But I found that it has one "impossible" turn, but its only impossible when riding in one direction.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:31 PM   #16467

62 here today. I (perhaps foolishly) moved the snow thrower from the garage to the shed. But I did NOT drain the fuel from it so just moving it isn't a jinx.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:38 PM   #16468

An amazing 66 here today. Started tuning up my bicycle.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:52 PM   #16469
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Thanks for the video. What were the air temps like?
A word about your garden. Don't know what type of garden you are looking to install but going with perennial native plants has it's advantages. The plants adapt easier, once they are established you don't have to water them and perennials come back every year. Watch out if you remove undergrowth, it may be what's holding the soil in place. You don't want soil erosion. If you like certain annuals you can place large planters around your garden for statement pieces. Large planters (got an old kayak, I've used partially rotted tree trunks for planters) don't dry out as fast as small ones. Hanging baskets are the worst for plants. The sun and wind dry them out too fast. Just because you're retired you don't want to be watering plants constantly.
edit: forgot to add, watch out for invasive plants. It can be pretty in a small clump but hard to control as it takes over.
2nd edit: I bought more stock today.....yay!
Thanks for the advice! Air temps on my paddling sojourn were mid teen's Celsius (59 F)...warm enough to wear just a long sleeved T-shirt. As for the garden, it is going to be a vegetable garden, so I have been removing long wild grasses and various invasive plants from the long dormant existing veggie beds - trying to dig down to reach the blackberry bush roots was tough, tough work. The berries might be tasty, but when you need to remove it from an area, this plant is a major PITA - countless scrapes on my arms are evidence of this fact.

I cannot wait for my first summer of ER - my days are going to be a wonderful mix of gardening, kayaking, fishing, crabbing, "prawning", reading...enjoying wonderful meals (largely of food I have caught or grown) and good wine....without any invasive thoughts about having to catch the ferry back to the city on Sunday night for a return to work Monday morning. This is the summer I have been waiting most of my adult life for.

I am just a few days shy of the 6 month anniversary of my ER....it has exceeded all of my hopes and expectations thus far - and I'm just getting started.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:18 PM   #16470

Quote:
....As for the garden, it is going to be a vegetable garden, so I have been removing long wild grasses and various invasive plants from the long dormant existing veggie beds - trying to dig down to reach the blackberry bush roots was tough, tough work. The berries might be tasty, but when you need to remove it from an area, this plant is a major PITA - countless scrapes on my arms are evidence of this fact.

I cannot wait for my first summer of ER - my days are going to be a wonderful mix of gardening, kayaking, fishing, crabbing, "prawning", reading...enjoying wonderful meals (largely of food I have caught or grown) and good wine....
I volunteer at a historic sight and we had to reduce the size of a raspberry patch so I can relate.
There is a lot of great information out there on veggie gardens. I think you said you are in British Columbia. Try the Master Gardeners web site for information. If you've never had a veggie garden, don't start too big-ends up as work and not fun, you can extend your growing season by making mini hoop houses over the rows of plants, raised beds (we just hill up the soil with hoes) also let you plant earlier in the season-they drain and warm up earlier. Use newspaper with grass cuttings or leaves on top to mulch around the plants, cuts down on weeding. The newspaper is biodegradable and the leaves are good for the soil. Sorry, I enjoy gardening and get carried away.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:37 AM   #16471
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
62 here today. I (perhaps foolishly) moved the snow thrower from the garage to the shed. But I did NOT drain the fuel from it so just moving it isn't a jinx.
The weather version of "Wheeee!!"

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 03-12-2015, 10:22 AM   #16472
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday took a drive out to Daley Ranch in the Escondido area where they have a bunch of hiking trails.

The trails are mostly open meadow, not really covered for any shade, but it was cloudy yesterday and a bit cooler, so it made the hiking enjoyable.

Was about a 5 mile hike around only a portion of the trails -so worth a visit back sometime.

I stopped by "Specialty Meats" just outside of the Daley Ranch area and went in to get a sandwich for lunch.

Out of pastrami
The corned beef was just made for St Patrick's day but not cooked yet
Settled on a pulled pork sandwich that was ok (I can do much better!)

Drove home to eat the sandwich and just piddle about the house for the rest of the afternoon before dinner.

Good day!
Old 03-12-2015, 10:32 AM   #16473

Just returned from the airport, dropped off DD + SiL and their kids. 8 days caring for the grandkids was a lot of fun but I'm glad it's over. For a few weeks, anyway.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:25 AM   #16474
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... As for the garden, it is going to be a vegetable garden...

I cannot wait for my first summer of ER - my days are going to be a wonderful mix of gardening, kayaking, fishing, crabbing, "prawning", reading...enjoying wonderful meals (largely of food I have caught or grown) and good wine...
Gardening is fun, and even more so when you eat the fruit of your labor. Here in the SW, very few plants can survive the summer heat, except okra and eggplants, and we grow mostly in the shoulder season of spring and fall.

And up in our high-elevation home, the danger of frost does not go away until Memorial Day, and returns in early October so the growing season is so short and we have not bothered.

I often envy my friends and relatives who live in CA with a moderate climate where they can grow nearly year round. Up in the Puget Sound, I guess it is not too bad as the winter is not too brutal, and the growing season is still longer than what I have.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:40 PM   #16475

Saw what I think was a great heron on the beach this morning (pre-dawn). It was huge! Normally it's just the usual birds: seagulls, terns, pelicans...

Yesterday younger son got his cast off (broken elbow) and upgraded to a splint for 2 weeks. Right after that we met his baseball team - they had a team building activity - carry my son in a stretcher (canvas with handles - no frame) without dropping him, the 1/2 mile to the frozen yogurt place. I made sure that the team knew not to drop him on his elbow. It was pretty funny to watch. 12 kids taking turns (6 at a time) carry my oversized son. (He's the biggest kid on the team by weight and height). The kids succeeded in their mission.

(The coach is a retired marine drill instructor and has about half the team in his boy scout troop as well... so he knew how to manage the kids.)
Old 03-12-2015, 12:42 PM   #16476

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Gardening is fun, and even more so when you eat the fruit of your labor. Here in the SW, very few plants can survive the summer heat, except okra and eggplants, and we grow mostly in the shoulder season of spring and fall.

And up in our high-elevation home, the danger of frost does not go away until Memorial Day, and returns in early October so the growing season is so short and we have not bothered.

I often envy my friends and relatives who live in CA with a moderate climate where they can grow nearly year round. Up in the Puget Sound, I guess it is not too bad as the winter is not too brutal, and the growing season is still longer than what I have.
We finally gave up the ghost on a 2 year old tomato plant... it produced up till 3 weeks ago - but was dying so we pulled it out to replace it with the new plant. (It was the only one that lasted this long.) We have a lot of "annual" plants that act like perennials here.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:45 PM   #16477

Quote:

https://vimeo.com/121810187
Thanks for the video! You have some great scenery in which to enjoy your kayak. I've been looking at mine wondering when I'll be able to get it into the water.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:29 PM   #16478
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
We finally gave up the ghost on a 2 year old tomato plant... it produced up till 3 weeks ago - but was dying so we pulled it out to replace it with the new plant. (It was the only one that lasted this long.) We have a lot of "annual" plants that act like perennials here.
I hear ya.

I have 3 tomato plants in containers - they get plenty of sun, water when they need it and frequent feedings.

They have plenty of flowers but are stubborn and reluctant to set and produce tomatoes!

Maybe they'll respond to a good talkin' to!
Old 03-12-2015, 04:12 PM   #16479
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Thanks for the video! You have some great scenery in which to enjoy your kayak. I've been looking at mine wondering when I'll be able to get it into the water.
You are most welcome! I have obviously noticed you are a fellow kayaker based on your profile photo. Love goofin' around with my GoPro camera so I may post more videos as my ER unfolds (not ALL kayak stuff I promise). A close orca encounter is wish #1. If I get that footage, you can bet I'll be posting that here.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:23 PM   #16480

what did you do today?

I saw your orca video- awesome! I can't imagine getting closer than you did in that video.

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)