Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 06:14 PM   #16481
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
A close orca encounter is wish #1. If I get that footage, you can bet I'll be posting that here.
Grays started trickling into the sound this week too.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2015, 12:10 PM   #16482

Went to see "Chappie" yesterday afternoon.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:12 PM   #16483
Recycles dryer sheets

Worth seeing in a theater or wait until Redbox?
Old 03-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #16484
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just finished up the last of my pot o' coffee while listening to some "silky smoove jazz". It's a rainy, dreary day, so will probably do a bunch of nothing.

I do have an uncle in town, so might go see him but this weather is fabulous for doing absolutely NOTHING. And I love doing nothing.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:06 PM   #16485

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Worth seeing in a theater or wait until Redbox?
Chappie? No harm in waiting, no compelling need to see it on the big screen, and some viewers may use subtitles, as the South African accents are strong.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:27 PM   #16486
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I slept in late because I was up until 3 AM listening to music. I kept the volume low so it did not disturb Mr B. I just felt like staying up late.

I started a corned beef in the crockpot, letting it cook overnight on a very low setting. I'll do the cabbage and potatoes and carrots tomorrow in the water I cooked the corned beef in.
St Pat's dinner is being done early this year because I have a dental apt on the 17th.
I have 2 more corned beef briskets sitting in the freezer for another time when I get a Reuben craving. Aldi's had them for $3.99/lb so I asked Mr B to grab 3 total.

I did some more tomato and eggplant seeding. Peppers will get started on April 1st. Right now I have 3 San Marzano tomato plants that are 6 inches tall, and 3 Sweet 100 tomato plants cut back to 7 inches tall. All part of my efforts to "grow my own" and deal with my very short growing season.

My gardening buddy and I are getting together tomorrow to discuss possible team garlic growing plans. He has a following of people who buy it from him every year. I might offer some space in my ground garden as another location for him to expand on his growing efforts. He can do the soil prep and have it all ready for fall planting.
WIN WIN.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #16487
Give me a forum ...

Ah, this reminded me to go get my corned beef for next week. A local store has point-cut corned beef for $2.79/lb, and flat-cut for $4.99/lb. And of course one has to boil the potatoes and cabbage in the broth. Would anyone do differently?

My kids looked forward to this meal, and said they would bring some special beers.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:30 PM   #16488
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Ah, this reminded me to go get my corned beef for next week. A local store has point-cut corned beef for $2.79/lb, and flat-cut for $4.99/lb. And of course one has to boil the potatoes and cabbage in the broth. Would anyone do differently?

My kids looked forward to this meal, and said they would bring some special beers.
LBYMs, I wait until after the 17th when the flats get put on go away sale, then fire up the Traeger pellet and Weber bullet smoker, it's Pastrami time mmmmm.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cornedbeef.html
Old 03-14-2015, 06:17 AM   #16489
Full time employment: Posting here.

Busy day cooking yesterday. Smoked 2 slabs of ribs, a salmon fillet, and some Italian sausages. Made home made pizza sauce for freezing until a family visit in two weeks. Made some fresh mozzarella cheese- used Costco milk for the first time and it worked well, curds were larger than the Food Lion milk I usually use.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:53 AM   #16490
Give me a forum ...

Today is Pi Day.

3.141592653..., or 3/14/15 at 9:26:53

It is also Albert Einstein's birthday today.

"Massachusetts Institute of Technology has often mailed its application decision letters to prospective students for delivery on Pi Day.[21] Starting in 2012, MIT has announced it will post those decisions (privately) online on Pi Day at exactly 6:28 pm, which they have called "Tau Time", to honor the rival numbers Pi and Tau equally.[22][23]
The town of Princeton, New Jersey, hosts numerous events in a combined celebration of Pi Day and Albert Einstein's birthday, which is also March 14.[24] Einstein lived in Princeton for more than twenty years while working at the Institute for Advanced Study. In addition to pie eating and recitation contests, there is an annual Einstein look-alike contest.[25]"

Source: Pi Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are some very cool pictures of Pi Pie at this link. Geeks can cook !
I searched for "Images of Pi Pie".

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...=8-16&sp=-1&sk=
Old 03-14-2015, 08:31 AM   #16491
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Today is Pi Day.

Duly noted and celebrated at my house. As we say here, unleash your inner geek!
Old 03-14-2015, 08:55 AM   #16492

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Today is Pi Day.

It is also Albert Einstein's birthday today.

Thanks for the reminder. In the past, I'd celebrate with a liberal use of pi. But now retired, I can't think of a need for pi today.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-14-2015, 11:07 AM   #16493
Moderator Emeritus

When I think of pi, I visualize my old Post slide rule. (it's a college thing)
Old 03-14-2015, 02:16 PM   #16494
Full time employment: Posting here.

I made pi(e) today. There's also a pot of homemade bean soup on the stove, and college basketball on tv. Life is good!
Old 03-14-2015, 02:23 PM   #16495
Give me a forum ...

This sounds like a fun thing to do, LBYM or not.

I have never done this nor buy turkeys post-holiday, simply because my two fridges are always full. I am constantly working on my wife to cut back on her grocery shopping, so that we can make a dent into what's stacked in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springnr View Post
LBYMs, I wait until after the 17th when the flats get put on go away sale, then fire up the Traeger pellet and Weber bullet smoker, it's Pastrami time mmmmm.

Quick Pastrami - Smoked Corned Beef - The Virtual Weber Bullet
Old 03-14-2015, 04:29 PM   #16496
Moderator Emeritus

First day of sun in over a week in south Texas.

1. Went to the Saturday ROMEO breakfast at Burger King.

2. Hand washed my 2014 Passat.

3. Watched "Counting Cars" new episode while taking a break.

4. Walked dog for a mile or so.

5. Thought about finishing my taxes....will do tonight.

6. Looked at back yard leaf accumulation. Hoping for gale force winds.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:58 PM   #16497
Give me a forum ...

After a short celebration of Pi Day, made a batch of boudin. DW will only let me do this when she is away for several days because of the livers and the casings and the mess (which I do clean up).

It looks good and tastes good, but a lot of trouble and I don't think I will do it again.

I picked up a taste for boudin many years ago in Louisiana. A few years back, I fell in with a bunch of Afrikaners in Calgary who introduced me to sausage making. I bought a machine and tried it with mixed results, but getting better each time, but next time I think I will just order some, frozen, on-line from LA.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Old 03-14-2015, 07:21 PM   #16498

Baked two pies today for pi day. Has to employ time management to get the dough in the fridge before younger son's baseball game then roll out and fill the pies before older sons baseball game. (Pecan and pumpkin were the flavors). Also put together a stew in the crock pot before the first game. My sister and her husband are coming over for stew and pie in a little bit.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:20 PM   #16499
Recycles dryer sheets

Launched the kayak for the first time this spring. What a gorgeous afternoon.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-15-2015, 04:34 PM   #16500
Administrator

Today Frank and I had lunch and then drove by three houses that came on the market yesterday near his house. Each of them had an unfixable fatal flaw, that made it worse for me than my present house IMO. I'm seriously thinking of forgetting this search for a dream house, and staying put! I love my present house and just wanted to buy one that is nicer or could be made nicer. Oh well, maybe it is not to be.

Then he wanted to go to a going-out-of-business sale at the Radio Shack at New Orleans' biggest mall. We battled the traffic and managed to find a parking place which is not as easy as it sounds! But alas, the store was already empty, shuttered, and padlocked. Guess the sale is over.

What a rotten day. On the other hand, it was still better than a day at work, though marginally so....

- - H. Melville, 1851
Closed Thread