Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 03:29 PM   #16641
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Replaced the front strut assemblies on my SUV. I've had an annoying clunk on bumps for a couple of years and neither my independent mechanic or I could find a cause. He recommended new struts and rear shocks for $1000. I bought the whole strut assemblies which include springs and mounts, plus rear shocks for $250, after rebates. The front struts took about 45 minutes a side to install. I'll do the rear shocks tomorrow. Not a bad job and not a bad hourly rate.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2015, 03:32 PM   #16642
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Is the clunk gone?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 04-01-2015, 03:35 PM   #16643
Give me a forum ...

DW and I went snow skiing with a friend. Very good day... cold (winter is still here was ~20F with a light wind when we started out) but conditions were fabulous. I can't believe the amount of snow on the trails for this time of year. The area we went to is closing Sunday... not because of lack of snow or bad conditions... but more due to not enough skiers.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:00 PM   #16644
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Took my 2002 Ford Explorer in for its annual state inspection. Passed with no additional costs for the second year in a row. Not bad for a 13 year old vehicle!
Old 04-01-2015, 04:32 PM   #16645
Recycles dryer sheets

Workin' in the garden. Just 6 months ago I was doing equally physical work at my construction job - but these days I do it with a smile on my face. This is so much more rewarding and will be more so if my veggies actually grow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (1.18 MB, 19 views)
Old 04-01-2015, 04:37 PM   #16646
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Is the clunk gone?
I took a brief spin around the neighborhood and it seemed much better, but not 100% on big potholes. I may have to replace the lower control arms to completely silence any clunking. Those are a much harder part to replace and require an alignment afterward.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:15 PM   #16647

I had a similar issue with DW's Honda Pilot. I put off spending the $ to replace the front struts for a couple of years and ended up replacing the entire vehicle. The clunk never got any worse - and it is completely gone now.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:17 PM   #16648
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
Workin' in the garden. Just 6 months ago I was doing equally physical work at my construction job - but these days I do it with a smile on my face. This is so much more rewarding and will be more so if my veggies actually grow.
I am sure your plants will grow. In the backyard of my city home, I have about 350 sq.ft. of planting bed for veggies. I put down about 1 cu.ft. of steer manure per 30 sq.ft. twice each year, and green leaf plants grow like crazy.

Sadly, with the temperature climbing up to the 90s already, the plants have all gone to seed. So, we just cleared them all out for the summer. It was good while it lasted.

Only okra and eggplant can stand up to this heat. When we are gone for the next RV trek, I have relatives living nearby who will stop by to pick them.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:45 PM   #16649
Recycles dryer sheets

Spring wild turkey scouting!!! Found out I need to get in better shape!
Old 04-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #16650
Give me a forum ...

Went in for my first ever MRI.
I had heard stories about claustrophobic patients who were frazzled by the experience, but it was no big deal at all.

They only put me in as far as my shoulders (problem is in my knee), so no feeling of confinement. It took 35 minutes total, but when I heard "10 minutes to go" in my headphones, I felt like only 5-10 minutes had elapsed. So I'm guessing I must have dozed off to the sound of the classical music and the vibration of the machine.

The MRI machine operated at only 0.35 Tesla (magnetic field strength), which surprised me. I had thought most of them were much stronger.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:04 PM   #16651
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
Yep, it takes a while to build up your tolerance. Especially the 101.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:01 PM   #16652
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
Heck, around here you can scout from your car driving down the interstate. They're all over the place.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #16653
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Yep, it takes a while to build up your tolerance. Especially the 101.

Gobble gobble

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 04-02-2015, 08:56 AM   #16654

Doing the cataract evaluation shuffle at the eye surgeons office. So many machines, techs and other patients. Hurry up and wait!
Old 04-02-2015, 09:13 AM   #16655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Doing the cataract evaluation shuffle at the eye surgeons office. So many machines, techs and other patients. Hurry up and wait!
If you were ever in the military you'll be very familiar with the process. I felt like I might have to salute or raise my right hand and take an oath by the time I finally saw the eye doc!

Old 04-02-2015, 09:20 AM   #16656
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I had a similar issue with DW's Honda Pilot. I put off spending the $ to replace the front struts for a couple of years and ended up replacing the entire vehicle. The clunk never got any worse - and it is completely gone now.
I had a chance to drive it more today and it is much better. I didn't realize that struts could develop an internal clunk, or maybe it was in the spring / pad / mount interface. The strut package replaced them all in one clean shot and it was a simple and cheap task to do myself.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:24 AM   #16657

Quote:
If you were ever in the military you'll be very familiar with the process. I felt like I might have to salute or raise my right hand and take an oath by the time I finally saw the eye doc!
Over the next year, my DW will need to continue to see an ophthalmologist every 4 to 6 weeks for treatments. So far the average wait time has been about 3 hours per visit. The shortest was about 2 hours and the longest about 7. Actual time with the doctor is about 15 minutes per visit. Sometime the waiting room(s) are so crowded there is standing room only. It's very common to hear someone in the waiting room talking about the long waits, however, I've never heard anyone say they won't be coming back.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:18 AM   #16658
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Heck, around here you can scout from your car driving down the interstate. They're all over the place.
We've actually had them on our car a couple of times. They get intrigued with their reflection in the windshield. It is pretty weird to go outside and have a wild turkey on your car hood.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 04-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #16659

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
We've actually had them on our car a couple of times. They get intrigued with their reflection in the windshield. It is pretty weird to go outside and have a wild turkey on your car hood.
Reminds me of my BIL who had one come through his windshield at 60 MPH. It hit right in front of the steering wheel and landed on his lap. He somehow managed to maintain control of the car and pull over on the opposite side shoulder of the two-lane road. He opened the drivers door and the bird hopped out and staggered off into the brush...

Old 04-02-2015, 02:44 PM   #16660
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I went to the dentist and got that root canal done early. I called and got the date moved up because few things are less fun than waiting for a root canal and I just couldn't take the tension any more. It was quick and easy, and I feel so much better already.

Right now I'm thinking that modern dentistry is right up there with indoor plumbing as far as my favorite aspects of living in today's civilization.
I'll see your root canal and raise you 3 extractions.

Just kidding. Glad to hear that's over with. Hope all mends well.