Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 09:31 PM   #16741
Recycles dryer sheets

U

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2015, 10:46 PM   #16742
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We've been working on house projects the last couple of days - a window sill herb garden, more succulent container gardens, stringing solar lights under and around the new patio umbrella, and stocking up on firewood and charcoal for cookouts. The backyard critters (probably squirrels) always chew through the strings of the string solar light when we put them in the trees or string them like clothesline. So we're trying under the umbrella this summer and we'll see how that goes.

It was nice and sunny today. We had lunch on the patio and watched the birds of prey circling around and resting on top of a nearby Redwood. It is their fave spot to land because it is the tallest point around.

I doubt we can outsmart the squirrels if they really want to go after the lights, based on the number of obstacle courses squirrels have mastered in Youtube videos, like this one:

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 04-11-2015, 04:56 AM   #16743
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Hi Dave,

What kind of filters will you have on the incoming water in the house?

Your project is going much faster than mine. I'm hoping to get the trusses on and the roof sheathed by the end of May.
We have a whole house sediment filter on the line now but haven't actually determined if we'll need anything else. The well is 500 feet deep and we had to frac the well to get flow so there is a lot of sediment in the water so far as a result of the fraccing. Running water from the well straight outside right now when I'm at the house (and remember to turn it on, lol) until the gray color is gone, then we'll connect to the house plumbing and get some tests run to see what we're working with. Well drillers said we might have to run the well at a low rate for several days to clear the drilling sediment.

My house is about 200 yards away from this one and our well is about 430 feet deep, with good soft and clean spring water. There is another house with a well about 300 yards from where the new one is being built and their well is only 120 feet with great flow but their water has sulfur and iron and is very hard so needs a lot of treatment. I haven't smelled sulfur yet from the new well so hoping it's in the spring water pocket but won't know for a bit.

Good luck with the trusses getting set and the sheathing- will you be using a metal or shingled roof?
Old 04-11-2015, 05:23 AM   #16744
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
We've been working on house projects the last couple of days - a window sill herb garden, more succulent container gardens, stringing solar lights under and around the new patio umbrella, and stocking up on firewood and charcoal for cookouts. The backyard critters (probably squirrels) always chew through the strings of the string solar light when we put them in the trees or string them like clothesline. So we're trying under the umbrella this summer and we'll see how that goes.
daylate, Won't having the lights overhead draw insects in?
Old 04-11-2015, 05:31 AM   #16745

We're suppose to have great weather this weekend so we'll be getting all the cars ready for the coming driving season. A couple of friends help us and we'll have a cookout to thank them.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:29 AM   #16746
Give me a forum ...

DW and I went to The Longest Ride last night. Fast & Furious 7 was also starting at the same time so there was a long line and the movie had started when we walked into the theater and settled into our seats. I thought it was a good movie, nice story without special effects though the slo-mo bull ride at the end was pretty cool.

Anyhow, the movie ends and the credits begin and the lights come on and I'll bet the theater was 95% women! Probably all ogling at Scott Eastwood who I concede is quite the handsome guy.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 04-11-2015, 08:50 AM   #16747
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
daylate, Won't having the lights overhead draw insects in?
We don't really have any insect issues here. We can sit out on the patio after dark for weeks and never see a mosquito. I don't recall any June bugs and there aren't a lot of moths. Maybe it is too dry most of the year? Government insect control and spraying programs? ? I don't know why we don't have many. The only type I miss are fireflies.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 04-11-2015, 08:54 AM   #16748

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Good luck with the trusses getting set and the sheathing- will you be using a metal or shingled roof?
I'm doing a shingled roof. I don't want to deal with the snow sliding off the roof. I've seen furnace vents caved in and plumbing vents broken off from the snow sliding off the roof. I've also spent time on a metal roof tightening screws that worked loose. Metal roofs are not maintenance free and unless you put a lot of money in them, I don't think they last any longer than a shingled roof.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:12 AM   #16749
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Went to the brokerage company and gave them my final and forever Roth IRA contribution.
That's got to be a great feeling!

Quote:
Went to the library and decided to check out some young adult fiction. Now I have six YA books to read. (I might want to consider re-working my bucket list).
One of the joys of retirement is constantly updating and re-vamping that bucket list. Nobody is assigning us anything to do any more, so we can do that now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 04-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #16750
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I'm doing a shingled roof. I don't want to deal with the snow sliding off the roof. I've seen furnace vents caved in and plumbing vents broken off from the snow sliding off the roof. I've also spent time on a metal roof tightening screws that worked loose. Metal roofs are not maintenance free and unless you put a lot of money in them, I don't think they last any longer than a shingled roof.
My friend had his bathroom vent pipe sheared off by snow sliding on a metal roof. Snow coming off the roof can also fall on railings and damage them.

For those reasons I went with shingles rather than metal. If I were doing it over again, I might consider metal for 2-3' along the eaves and shingles for the rest - some people have that around here but I don't know how well it works in preventing ice dams.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 04-11-2015, 12:19 PM   #16751

Quote:
Went to the brokerage company and gave them my final and forever Roth IRA contribution. Went to the library and decided to check out some young adult fiction. Now I have six YA books to read. (I might want to consider re-working my bucket list).
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That's got to be a great feeling!
Actually, I had mixed feelings re: my very last Roth IRA contribution. I always enjoyed putting money into my Roth IRA (kind of felt like I was doing something healthy and worthwhile for myself). But, it also felt good because it means that I'm done with work and that I will have more time to do whatever I want (especially once the restraining order gets lifted).

Right now, the only thing I have in my bucket is six young adult books. Maybe I should replace the bucket with a book bag. Walking into the library with a bucket just looks plain weird no matter how well dressed I may be.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:09 PM   #16752
Give me a forum ...

I am taking a break from a small home exterior paint job.

The window installers finished yesterday, and my 30-year-old home is up-to-date with the Jones regarding dual-pane low-E windows. My mother and brothers' homes were built later, and they all have dual-pane windows, but they are just dual-pane with no fancy-schmancy glass and argon-filled stuff. I don't know if I will cause window envy, but man oh man, I hope these expensive windows will pay back in lower utility bills before I croak.

Now that the windows are in, I need to clean up the home interior before hitting the road in my RV.

Quote:
... Right now, the only thing I have in my bucket is six young adult books. Maybe I should replace the bucket with a book bag. Walking into the library with a bucket just looks plain weird no matter how well dressed I may be.
Just make sure that your bucket does not look like the bucket that janitors carry into the restroom.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #16753
Moderator Emeritus

Just finished working an amateur radio license exam session. Nine people came in to take exams for a license, and eight left with a new or upgraded license, which was pretty good. Several folks even took a shot at taking a more advanced license test after they passed the one they came in for, which was nice to see. (There's no extra charge, and we offer the opportunity to everyone that passes the first exam.)
Old 04-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #16754
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I hope these expensive windows will pay back in lower utility bills before I croak.

Now that the windows are in, I need to clean up the home interior before hitting the road in my RV.
The last time we calculated the break even return year on new, double pane windows, it was a very, very long time in the future.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:43 PM   #16755

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Just finished working an amateur radio license exam session. Nine people came in to take exams for a license, and eight left with a new or upgraded license
I love the new system. Back in Paleozoic times, I had to take all my license exams at an FCC office, which could mean quite a long trip if you didn't live near one of those cities. Got my Technician in NYC, my Advanced in Atlanta, and my Extra in Los Angeles. Now, there seems to be VE availability nearly everywhere. Thanks for taking the time to do it!
Old 04-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #16756
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
The last time we calculated the break even return year on new, double pane windows, it was a very, very long time in the future.
It may change if the energy cost rises.

I realized how poorly regular glass windows are as an insulator when we started RV'ing. Better RVs have dual-pane windows, but ours are just thin glass. As poorly insulated as the motorhome fiberglass wall is with its 1" of foam, the heat gain or loss through the windows is tremendous. And if your RV bed is right by two of these windows, man, you just suffer. The RV A/C is 1 ton, and that should be more than enough for 200 sq.ft., compared to a house A/C for a house that's much larger, but the thing can run non-stop when it is hot.

I am very curious to see how much I will be saving in electricity this summer. It still takes a long time to pay back, but another benefit of these windows is that you will not have hot and cold spots throughout the house close to the windows.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-11-2015, 02:02 PM   #16757
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It may change if the energy cost rises.

I realized how poorly regular glass windows are as an insulator when we started RV'ing. Better RVs have dual-pane windows, but ours are just thin glass. As poorly insulated as the motorhome fiberglass wall is with its 1" of foam, the heat gain or loss through the windows is tremendous. And if your RV bed is right by two of these windows, man, you just suffer. The RV A/C is 1 ton, and that should be more than enough for 200 sq.ft., compared to a house A/C for a house that's much larger, but the thing can run non-stop when it is hot.

I am very curious to see how much I will be saving in electricity this summer. It still takes a long time to pay back, but another benefit of these windows is that you will not have hot and cold spots throughout the house close to the windows.
I'm not against them, its just a high cost improvement. There are two other benefits:

1. They are harder to break (two glass panes)

2. Installing them gives you a chance to seal up leaks around the frame area that existed with the old windows.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:12 PM   #16758
Give me a forum ...

The payback in terms of utility bills takes a long time, no doubt. So, one has to think of other secondary benefits to sweeten the deal, else it's very hard to write the check.

Now, when going for a walk around the neighborhood, we know to spot all these improved retrofit windows. They are fairly popular.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:38 PM   #16759
Recycles dryer sheets

Easy hike this morning followed by a few slushy ski runs this afternoon. 60+ degrees in the mountains felt great today!
Old 04-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #16760

Quote:
I don't know if I will cause window envy, but man oh man, I hope these expensive windows will pay back in lower utility bills before I croak.
When we had new windows installed in FIL's house about a year before he moved we noticed an immediate difference in the heating bill. Not dramatic, but ~$30/month or so. Payback will happen but it takes a while.