Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 07:39 PM   #16761
Moderator Emeritus

Got the paperwork together to do our taxes tomorrow. Every year it gets simpler and simpler--we no longer can itemize, so that's a lot of paper not needed. Most of the 1099s etc. are from big enough outfits that they can be downloaded by TurboTax directly from the payers. Just some random small things to key in and voila.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2015, 07:42 PM   #16762
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Absolutely nothing. It was too damn hot. We were going to take the pugs to the dog beach this morning, but we overslept and by the time we were up and moving it was already pushing 90. I think it's about time to fly north for the summer.

We'll try again tomorrow.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:50 PM   #16763

Nice backyard family gathering at a cousin of DW's. Another cousin's father was visiting from Oregon. Burgers, beer, grilled chicken, etc. and luckily the weather cooperated and it was warm enough - 60° F but clear sky and bright sunshine. I have a mild sunburn, I forget about sunscreen every spring.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:46 PM   #16764
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did free tax prep with AARP today at my local library. Saved my last client $1,000 by doing a 1040X for 2013. Very satisfying.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:49 AM   #16765
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
For those reasons I went with shingles rather than metal. If I were doing it over again, I might consider metal for 2-3' along the eaves and shingles for the rest - some people have that around here but I don't know how well it works in preventing ice dams.
We have shingles on our house but several outbuildings with metal roofs. We're certainly not in a high snow environment but all the metal roofs have "snowbirds" installed in two rows across the bottom of the roof which keeps the ice/snow from sliding off and causing damage. We had one barn with a metal roof for a while that didn't have these installed and the gutters were damaged by sliding snow, I added the snowbirds and have had no problems since. We like the look of metal and do think they last longer than a shingled roof but we also like the sound of the rain hitting the metal!
Old 04-12-2015, 11:37 AM   #16766

Lazy morning, checked out some rockabilly on the yooootube.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:33 PM   #16767

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
...Right now, the only thing I have in my bucket is six young adult books. Maybe I should replace the bucket with a book bag. Walking into the library with a bucket just looks plain weird no matter how well dressed I may be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Just make sure that your bucket does not look like the bucket that janitors carry into the restroom.
Rest easy, old friend, my bucket does not look like the bucket that janitors carry into the restroom.

My bucket has up-to-date dual pane low-E windows.
The glass is definitely fancy-schmancy with argon-filled stuff. Additionally, the lid comes with a retractable sunroof. Still, I get these weird looks from the library patrons. Maybe it's the 22 inch custom rims that I had put on that they wonder about.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:10 PM   #16768
Give me a forum ...

Took the pugs to the dog beach today. That's such a blast! But at one point one of the sisters squatted to pee in the sand, and all we could see was blood. Ended up spending a couple of hours at the emergency vet. Severe urinary tract infection. So now we've got antibiotics and she should be OK. But if we hadn't gone to the beach we might not have known until she got much worse, since she goes outside in the grass and we wouldn't have been able to see it. Lucky.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:27 PM   #16769

Went for a run/walk. Bought and installed a bird feeder. Bought a small propane torch and torched my ornamental grasses in a semi-controlled burn.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:34 PM   #16770

Finished my taxes today. Owed about $1600 federal and $800 state. At least we broke even on local television taxes.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:01 PM   #16771
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Arrived at my now home in Florida.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:31 PM   #16772
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post

That is very exciting! Happy new home to you!
Old 04-12-2015, 08:35 PM   #16773
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Welcome to the neighborhood.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:44 PM   #16774

Quote:
Congratulations! How exciting. You will especially love it next winter!
Old 04-12-2015, 11:04 PM   #16775
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
....Bought and installed a bird feeder. ....
Around here our Fish & Game Department recommends taking down bird feeders at this time of years as the bears come out of hibernation and are quite hungry.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:34 PM   #16776
Administrator

Quote:
Glad you got your house on the market, and made it home (Florida!) safely.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-13-2015, 12:05 AM   #16777
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Took the pugs to the dog beach today. That's such a blast! But at one point one of the sisters squatted to pee in the sand, and all we could see was blood. Ended up spending a couple of hours at the emergency vet. Severe urinary tract infection. So now we've got antibiotics and she should be OK. But if we hadn't gone to the beach we might not have known until she got much worse, since she goes outside in the grass and we wouldn't have been able to see it. Lucky.
I hope she's feeling better soon. Two pugs sounds like a lot of daily cuteness.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 04-13-2015, 12:12 AM   #16778
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Around here our Fish & Game Department recommends taking down bird feeders at this time of years as the bears come out of hibernation and are quite hungry.
We don't have bears but I had to take all our bird feeders down because the seeds that fall on the ground attract rodents. We just had to have some rodent gnawed A/C wires repaired.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 04-13-2015, 12:36 AM   #16779
Confused about dryer sheets

Went to a camping show today. Keep thinking about buying something for traveling across the country this summer and beyond since work is in the rear view mirror now. Its not so much money but looking at some of the units that have all these outdoor speakers are making rethink if I want to be at a camp site with all that noise!

John
Old 04-13-2015, 08:32 AM   #16780

Went to a gala dinner and silent auction to support kids camp for foster kids. It was a wonderful event. I got tickets to the Colorado Railroad Museum. Left there at about 10:00 and drove 1.5 hrs home. Up early to drive back down to town for church and then back home. The rest of the day I was so tired I didn't do much of anything. Reminded me of what my life felt like before I retired.