Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 10:41 AM   #16821
Administrator

The day before yesterday, we had torrential rains and flooding making some streets impassable and resulting in several drownings in my suburb. Even my relatively high street had a foot of water in it.

Yesterday, we had golfball sized hail that came out of nowhere with 50 mph winds and sheets of rain and a tornado that fortunately did not touch down. The hail took down power lines but amazingly, I had no damage and I still have power although my internet is iffy, on and off. I was scared to get a piece of hail to photograph (thought I might get knocked out by it) and it is hot here so they had melted quite a bit by the time I could take this photograph. In the next suburb over, they had baseball sized hail.

Today, it's back to flooding rains predicted again! I don't want to be the next drowning victim in my suburb so I'll probably stay home. I feel like we have been through the wringer this week. This goes beyond "April Showers Bring May Flowers", IMO.

I just want to go grocery shopping but apparently that is too much to ask for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hailApril15_2015b.jpg (9.8 KB, 204 views)

- - H. Melville, 1851
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #16822
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

W2R, you might want to get your insurance company to check out your roof for damage. We've had to replace our roof twice due to storms with similar sized hail.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 04-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #16823
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
W2R, you might want to get your insurance company to check out your roof for damage. We've had to replace our roof twice due to storms with similar sized hail.
Thanks, I will. That could get expensive.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #16824
Administrator

Quote:
Torrential downpours and possible hail and tornadoes are forecast for metro New Orleans, Baton Rouge and most of southeast Louisiana and coastal Mississippi over the next three days, as Gulf moisture continues to stream over the region, the National Weather Service said.

A flash flood watch remains in effect until 7 p.m. Friday, though forecasters said the watch may be extended, and its geographical area expanded, later today. Days of heavy rain have saturated the ground, increasing the risk of flooding during additional storms.
http://www.nola.com/weather/index.ss...incart_m-rpt-2

(groan) Sounds like a good week to plan, uh, ..... nothing.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-16-2015, 01:37 PM   #16825
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm about 6 weeks into this retirement thing and now I fully understand what all the hype is about. It's like a long vacation without the dreded Monday in sight :-) I've spent the last couple days cutting down some trees and cleaning up one that fell the other day. Now just sitting here burning it up and listening to the birds and chipmunks. Life is good.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 04-16-2015, 03:07 PM   #16826
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I slept in until noon...I used my downstairs family room just for a change of pace. I wanted to stay up and listen to music without disturbing Mr B. I've been having sleep disruptions due to night time hot flashes lately and have been waking him up unintentionally. Argh.

It looks like an Adirondack cabin down there, big stone fireplace, all wood beams, paneling and bookcase. Very cozy. So I enjoyed a "guest room" sleepover in my own house.

I eventually want to put a natural gas fired insert and a single person hot tub in down there. Both are on my wish list, after I pay for some much needed yard tree w*rk and my partials. All in good time, all in good time.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:25 PM   #16827

Drove down to Miami airport yesterday to pick up two of DW's brothers. Not a lot of fun, drivers along that stretch seems to think they're practicing for a NASCAR event.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:06 PM   #16828
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfudtuckerpucker View Post
Just watched the original version of the Sound of Music. Pretty interesting. I can see why Rodgers and Hammerstein changed the story some.

http://goo.gl/SRV6c9

Auf Deutsch? I am very impressed. I would have to brush up on my German from 43 years ago to watch it in its entirety.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-16-2015, 04:22 PM   #16829
Recycles dryer sheets

This was the 1st day since my almost-mostly-retirement (4/6) that I had nothing scheduled.

Meditated. Read on the internet before arising, made my morning smoothies, threw out a few things from the fridge, took a shower, did 2 loads of laundry, watered the outdoor plants and herb garden, some food prep, puttered around the house, spent 2 hours going through file cabinet papers to shred or recycle (there's lots more to go), made a late lunch. Now I'm relaxing on the couch with my dog listening to the thunder.

I could get used to this.

And DH found some old cans of paint left by the previous owner that at least gives us an idea of the colors used in order to paint the porch and touch up indoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-16-2015, 06:26 PM   #16830
Recycles dryer sheets

Did some work this morning (work for myself, from home). Baked a loaf of gluten free bread, did some laundry, started reading a new book, picked up DD from school, stopped at the grocery store. Going to make some zucchini fritters and chicken for dinner soon then get packed for a girls weekend trip.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:54 PM   #16831
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Spent 6 hours on the tractor today cutting some of the fields. Had to stop since now we're getting some serious rain. Guess I'll be cutting the same fields again in a few more weeks.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:40 PM   #16832

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
How many hours have you spent sweeping/shoveling snow from the worksite over the course of the winter?
It usually takes two hours or so after every snow and then if the snow was deep another four hours plowing several miles of roads. I haven't kept track of the number of snows. I'll be glad when the roof is on, the outside is finished, and the wood burning stove is installed.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:02 PM   #16833
Give me a forum ...

I did mostly errands today. The front yard succulent container gardens turned out so cute I bought a similar pot for the patio. We wanted a little fountain on the patio, but it has become a hobby to try to figure out how to use as little energy from the grid as possible, so it had to be solar or battery. Today I found a battery one I can power with solar charged rechargeable batteries. We plan to make something bigger, but this is a nice start. We had afternoon drinks on the patio with the fountain on.

I used herbs from my new windowsill herb garden for the first time today for dinner. The plants seem to be doing really well. We've got a lot of windows so I'm going to see what else will grow.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 04-17-2015, 04:05 AM   #16834

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
The day before yesterday, we had torrential rains and flooding making some streets impassable and resulting in several drownings in my suburb. Even my relatively high street had a foot of water in it.

Yesterday, we had golfball sized hail that came out of nowhere with 50 mph winds and sheets of rain and a tornado that fortunately did not touch down. The hail took down power lines but amazingly, I had no damage and I still have power although my internet is iffy, on and off. I was scared to get a piece of hail to photograph (thought I might get knocked out by it) and it is hot here so they had melted quite a bit by the time I could take this photograph. In the next suburb over, they had baseball sized hail.

I just want to go grocery shopping but apparently that is too much to ask for.
W2R, stay safe. I'm such a car person I never thought about people getting knocked out. I was thinking as I read your post, wonder if there are special places to park your car if there's hail.
I wish there was a way to collect the rain and pipe it to California and other drought areas.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:33 AM   #16835
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
W2R, stay safe. I'm such a car person I never thought about people getting knocked out. I was thinking as I read your post, wonder if there are special places to park your car if there's hail.
I wish there was a way to collect the rain and pipe it to California and other drought areas.
Thank you. I have no garage or carport, so no, not for my car anyway. If/when I find and buy my dream house, it will have a garage or at minimum a carport. There isn't room to build one on my present property.

Yesterday, despite alarming forecasts it barely drizzled. I still didn't do much beccause I was expecting the severe weather of the previous two days. Today, the prediction has changed to just 60% chance of thunderstorms. So, I guess we are out of the woods. The flash flood watch is still up.

California, and especially Southern California is famous for its droughts and frequent forest fires. I remember living there back in the 1980's and having to limit watering to every other day depending on even or odd street address. Here, I don't even own a sprinkler. I am so sorry that California is still in drought conditions and hope it rains there soon!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-17-2015, 12:06 PM   #16836
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for thinking of us. What you can realistically do is not buy bottled water from here:

A Lot Of Bottled Water Comes From Drought-Stricken California

It is crazy how many of the garden centers here will have maybe a row or two of water-wise plants and that's it. Most of the stock is unsuitable to the climate and especially the current drought. There is a lot that could be done to save water that just has not kicked into gear here yet.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 04-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #16837

Quote:
....I wish there was a way to collect the rain and pipe it to California and other drought areas.
It's easy to do, just difficult to do cost effectively. All that is needed are several canals, water towers, reservoirs and pumping stations
Old 04-17-2015, 12:54 PM   #16838

Yesterday I swept about 4 - 5 inches off the floor. This morning I have another foot. This stuff is very wet and heavy. Just as I got up there to get started, the sun came out while it was still snowing. Half the valley was socked in and the other half was sunny. I had to come back down and get a hat so I could take off the hoodie I was wearing. Time for some sunscreen...

I may plow when I get finished sweeping snow. Then again, it may all be melted by then.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:53 PM   #16839

I got brave and drained the fuel from the snow thrower and prepped it for storage. Mowed the "north forty" and noted that the other half doesn't need it yet. Well, most of it.

The grass seed is sprouting on the area dug up last November when the water line was replaced and DW goes out every day to check on that. The ugliness has bugged her all winter to the point that once she even wanted snow so it would be covered up!
Old 04-17-2015, 02:11 PM   #16840
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

After the low quality step-pads on the set of truck nerf bars (AKA running boards) I bought on Amazon in 2011 started disintegrating, I did some research on buying new pads. I groused big time when I learned a set of four replacements and the metal clips to install them would run me $125, half what it cost for a complete set of new bars.

After a little more noodling I ran across a customer comment on Amazon stating the bars actually had a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer, not the three years stated on Amazon. I emailed the mfg. customer service department and they responded within minutes saying they were shipping me a new set of step pads and mounting clips. Got them today. Can't beat free.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Closed Thread