Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 02:18 PM   #16841

Surprises like that you can live with!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2015, 04:18 PM   #16842
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Yesterday I swept about 4 - 5 inches off the floor. This morning I have another foot. This stuff is very wet and heavy. Just as I got up there to get started, the sun came out while it was still snowing. Half the valley was socked in and the other half was sunny. I had to come back down and get a hat so I could take off the hoodie I was wearing. Time for some sunscreen...

I may plow when I get finished sweeping snow. Then again, it may all be melted by then.
Ugly. We have a small spot of snow left on our roof... about the size of a placemat and that should be gone tomorrow.

I continued on cleaning windows today. All but two on the main level done and those I'll do tomorrow.

I also pulled of the kitchen faucet and showerhead and have them soaking in white vinegar to clean out the hard water deposits that we get. I usually try to do them once a year.

I may follow Walt's lead and service the snowblower tomorrow and put it away.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:28 PM   #16843
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I may follow Walt's lead and service the snowblower tomorrow and put it away.
A friend is coming over next week to buy my snowblower and take it away. Delightful!

I took the snow blade off the tractor last week to put on the mower deck, and that will remain for the time being. My assumption is that whoever buys this house will want it.

Moving to a condo has many advantages, and this is just one of them!
Old 04-17-2015, 04:50 PM   #16844
Give me a forum ...

I posted some unused garden stuff on Craigslist today, at minimal prices, including a rototiller.

The first people out were from the Middle East and were genuinely offended when I wouldn't lower my already super cheap price. I didn't want to insult them, but geeze it was a bargain price.

I guess that is a lesson for me to either state the price is not negotiable or to raise the asking price and let them "talk me down".
Old 04-17-2015, 04:52 PM   #16845
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I guess that is a lesson for me to either state the price is not negotiable or to raise the asking price and let them "talk me down".
+1

My experience is every Craigslist buyer expects to be able to negotiate price. Always ask more than you are willing to accept - it's how the game is played.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 04-17-2015, 04:53 PM   #16846

Quote:
So much of setting the price is cultural I suppose. If you set an asking price for the Middle East customer so they can do the bargaining thing and get a price way lower than initially asked, then a guy like me is going to think "that guy is on drugs!" and I won't even call.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:23 PM   #16847
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

My experience is every Craigslist buyer expects to be able to negotiate price. Always ask more than you are willing to accept - it's how the game is played.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
So much of setting the price is cultural I suppose. If you set an asking price for the Middle East customer so they can do the bargaining thing and get a price way lower than initially asked, then a guy like me is going to think "that guy is on drugs!" and I won't even call.
Ironically, I used to just post stuff like this for free, but got tired of the "gimmee, gimmee" crowd just taking stuff because it was free (or only promising to pick it up). So, I started selling stuff very cheaply thinking it would at least go to someone that was looking for the item in the first place.

The bottom was when a guy took a TV for free, changed his mind and tossed it on the woods at the end of my street.

And on we go.........
Old 04-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #16848
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Little over $1100 and 38 tons (which is also about the same in cubic yards) of gravel for the driveway and around my detached shop garage today. The dump trucks (3 trucks total) did a good job of spreading/distributing most of the gravel while dumping where they could by chaining the tailgate closed to a small opening and then drive forward while dumping. So in the end a couple hours on my tractor spreading it around where it is all needed, and some hand raking work for another hour. Then spent about 30 minutes driving a vehicle all over it to help pack it down. Should be good for another 5 years or so. I have 400 ft of driveway just from the street to the house, plus the area at top by the house and around the detached garage. The new gravel should keep it less mud when it is wet, over time the gravel breaks down and is also pounded into the ground, so recharging is a periodic maintenance.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Old 04-17-2015, 05:53 PM   #16849
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ironically, I used to just post stuff like this for free, but got tired of the "gimmee, gimmee" crowd just taking stuff because it was free (or only promising to pick it up). So, I started selling stuff very cheaply thinking it would at least go to someone that was looking for the item in the first place.

The bottom was when a guy took a TV for free, changed his mind and tossed it on the woods at the end of my street.

And on we go.........
That is unfortunate. I am on assorted freecycle email lists but have never used them. I suspect a lot of the people on there are just flea market resellers so if I have stuff to give away I usually give it to a charity shop instead.

My kids sell stuff on CL and usually start out high and then keep dropping the price every few days until they find a buyer. Buyers that show up usually will offer $10 less in person than the price they agreed to through the photos and texting.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 04-17-2015, 07:45 PM   #16850
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I posted some unused garden stuff on Craigslist today, at minimal prices, including a rototiller.

The first people out were from the Middle East and were genuinely offended when I wouldn't lower my already super cheap price. I didn't want to insult them, but geeze it was a bargain price.

I've had some stuff that I priced very fairly and when they offer me a lower price I just tell them that my asking price is a very fair price and then silence. If they still want a discount then I tell then that my price is a good deal and if they don't want it at that price then I am sure that someone will come along that will. Most of the time they concede to my asking price because they know it is a good deal but they're just looking to get it cheap. It helps that in most cases I really don't much care if it sells or if I take it to Goodwill.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:00 PM   #16851
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've had some stuff that I priced very fairly and when they offer me a lower price I just tell them that my asking price is a very fair price and then silence. If they still want a discount then I tell then that my price is a good deal and if they don't want it at that price then I am sure that someone will come along that will. Most of the time they concede to my asking price because they know it is a good deal but they're just looking to get it cheap. It helps that in most cases I really don't much care if it sells or if I take it to Goodwill.
This is actually what I did, but it was awkward. Especially because the guy actually buying didn't speak English and was about 75 years old. His son translated...hmmm I wonder what he really said....
Old 04-18-2015, 10:01 AM   #16852
Give me a forum ...

I am on day 3 of doing a very simple thing...I am forcing myself to have something for breakfast. I usually skip eating at all until noon or so.
My new breakfast regime is fruit and yogurt smoothies. Yesterday was peach, today was strawberry banana. I'm using Chobani Greek style yogurt, which has very high protein and calcium compared to regular yogurt. I use canned fruit or fresh for the fiber and nutrients. I will buy more fresh fruit, slice it and freeze it to minimize the canned version calories.

I had been drinking a lot of these smoothies as a meal substitute during my recent tooth extraction episodes. I am still 5 lbs lighter.

Hmmm...sometimes we overlook the obvious.

This habit change is a result of a book I am reading "Why Isn't My Brain Working ?" to figure out some of the menopausal issues I've been having due to unrestful sleep and daytime energy drags and mood oscillations.

So far so good.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:36 AM   #16853
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I am on day 3 of doing a very simple thing...I am forcing myself to have something for breakfast. I usually skip eating at all until noon or so.

So far so good.
Importance of Healthy Breakfast: Why Skipping Is Harmful

Go ahead, make an omelette!

http://www.webmd.com/diet/good-eggs-...e-hard-to-beat
Old 04-18-2015, 10:57 AM   #16854

We finished cleaning the windows and putting up the screens this week. We noticed horrible streaks with regular window cleaner and got annoyed. We were running out anyway. I bought something called Invisible Glass from a local auto store (not all stores have it). It's alcohol based, no smell. It is...amazing. Cleans every smudge. Used it on my car windows and mirrors too.

Added more soil to the new raised beds I put together last fall. The garlic I planted in October is about 6-8 inches high and the onions planted 3 weeks ago have come up. I planted pole beans spinach 3 weeks ago and lettuce mix 4 days ago indoors. The beans are a foot tall, the spinach is two inches tall. The lettuce mix is for a container, to add baby greens to my salad, and it has already fully sprouted! I also bought an artichoke plant and a rosemary plant. The rosemary will get planted tomorrow when it isn't so hot. The artichoke plant will go outside soon. I grew an artichoke plant about 5 years ago. Got several artichokes, not very many, but it also made a interesting ornamental plant by the side of my house, where it grew to be five feet tall. The plants generally don't survive our winters, but it did survive one mild winter and produced for two years before I neglected it and killed it.

We opened the pool on Wednesday. Heated it yesterday. Today I go for my first swim, since it will be 80 degrees this afternoon. Last year I got in the pool maybe a dozen times. I hope to get in a dozen times in the next two weeks. I could get used to this.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:09 AM   #16855
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
I bought something called Invisible Glass from a local auto store (not all stores have it). It's alcohol based, no smell. It is...amazing. Cleans every smudge. Used it on my car windows and mirrors too.
+1
We learned about this product about a year ago, and now won't use anything else. It's so superior to Windex or anything else that there is really no contest.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:24 AM   #16856

Quote:
We finished cleaning the windows and putting up the screens this week. We noticed horrible streaks with regular window cleaner and got annoyed. We were running out anyway. I bought something called Invisible Glass from a local auto store (not all stores have it). It's alcohol based, no smell. It is...amazing. Cleans every smudge. Used it on my car windows and mirrors too.
Thanks for the review of this product. I see that Home Depot carries it so plan to pick up a bottle and give it a try.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:49 PM   #16857
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We finished cleaning the windows and putting up the screens this week. We noticed horrible streaks with regular window cleaner and got annoyed. We were running out anyway. I bought something called Invisible Glass from a local auto store (not all stores have it). It's alcohol based, no smell. It is...amazing. Cleans every smudge. Used it on my car windows and mirrors too.....
I've been doing windows this week as well. I have used automotive windshield washer fluid in a spray bottle instead of Windex for years and it works fine.

Today DW was gone so I got the trash and recycling organized, got the great room and master bedroom ready for Roomba, got the old Roomba going in the bedroom and the new one in the great room, went and did trash and recycling and some errands and the rooms were all swept when I got back.

I stopped at the ATM next to a small grocery store as part of my errands and our House representative walked up and introduced himself to me and his assistant took a picture of us and will mail it to me. Not sure what I'll do with it as I've never voted for the guy. I was actually going to pass on the picture but I didn't want to be rude and there were a few other people around.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:02 PM   #16858
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
got the great room and master bedroom ready for Roomba, got the old Roomba going in the bedroom and the new one in the great room
I take it you like them since you have two? I think I am going to get a couple of robotic floor cleaners, too. I was kind of overwhelmed at all the choices these days on Amazon between the various brands, and functions - floor scrubber, floor mopper, vacuum so I've bought nothing so far.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 04-18-2015, 03:13 PM   #16859
Give me a forum ...

We have had the older Roomba for over 10 years. We used it and then it broke and sat in a box for many years and I found the box after I had retired and had the time to order the parts, fix it and we have used it for the last 18 months or so.

The new one we got last Monday and have used twice. DD has Costco membership and we went with her to Costco to buy a tv and ended up with a tv, a wall mount and a Roomba. The new one is quieter, has a larger dust bin, seems to do a better sweeping job and returns to it base unit when it is done its work.

I think of these units as good to do sweeping in between vacuuming. The thing I like about them is I can spend 5 minutes prepping the rooms, get them going, go for a walk or run some errands and then spend 5 minutes putting things back when I return and I'm done. Vacuuming takes much longer but does do a better cleaning job, but most of our floor surfaces are hard (wood, tile) as they do a good job on those.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:03 PM   #16860
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Vacuuming takes much longer but does do a better cleaning job, but most of our floor surfaces are hard (wood, tile) as they do a good job on those.
Most of our floor surfaces are hard, too, so I think that would work. I hadn't thought to check at Costco. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Closed Thread