Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 11:51 PM   #16881
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

After coming out of Death Valley, I drove north on the eastern flank of the Sierra Nevada Range for a couple of hundred miles. The only way to pass the mountain range to go west is through Tioga Pass, which leads to Yosemite NP. However, this road was still closed. I had driven through this pass in two occasions many years ago, and at 10,000 ft there was still snow and ice on the lakes in June/July!

So, I chose to cross the range on CA-89, which was south of Lake Tahoe. This was a steep road too, and even narrower and more winding! Again, if my motorhome overheated or its transmission failed, I would be in deep doo-doo.

Again, they did not post the grade of CA-89, but my estimate is that it is perhaps as high as 15% in many sections.

But, but, what was scarier was when I came to the intersection of CA-89 and CA-4, and what did I see but a sign posting a grade of 24%!

Thank goodness, I took the other fork, and did not have to subject my motorhome to possible failure. I did not have the chance to take a photo of that road sign, but was able to see that on Google Street View. See the link below.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6602...otjO2FDb-w!2e0

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2015, 06:45 AM   #16882
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Death Valley also has the lowest point in the US at 282 ft below mean sea level (MSL), called Bad Water
I visited that spot in 2004. I had my pocket Garmin GPS with me, so I walked out to where it read the absolute lowest point and scooped up a handful of salt and sand into a ziplock sandwich bag. So now it's a bit lower than before my visit! I still have that little bag on the shelf, along with mementos from other "extreme" points I've visited.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:05 AM   #16883
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Today I got around to a spring cleaning task of cleaning the dust bunnies from the gable end of our great room. What a mess! I have a nice 7 point whitetail buck neck mount at that gable end and it was caked with dust bunnies. I also have my first pair of downhill skis, bear-trap bindings and leather laced ski boots mounted in a "V" with the mount in the middle of the "V" and the boots were caked with dust bunnies as well.

It continually amazes me that the ceiling fan that we have running all winter collects so much dust bunnies since it is moving all the time.... how do the fan blades of a moving fan collect dust?

Anyway, that task is done for a while. Then I made a small pot of refrigerator soup for lunch. Cold, rainy, windy day here... it was actually snowing for about 10 minutes while I was cleaning the mount and it accumulated slightly but is all gone now. Enough!
That's the way airfoils work - there is a suction side and a pressure side. The suction side literally sucks in particles of dust and they land on the blade surface and stay there. There is a buffer zone above the suction side surface where the air is stable even though the fan blade is rotating and providing you a breeze. The dust bunnies have a safe home until relocate them.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:20 AM   #16884
Moderator Emeritus

NW - I don't know anything about your motor home but I would hope that the engine and transmission are equipped with external oil coolers to help with temperature control. That may be a standard upgrade when buying a motor home, but I'm not up on that.

Looks like a nice trip and the weather looks fabulous.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #16885
Give me a forum ...

When I changed the coolant recently at 40K miles, I read the specs and found that the standard coolant capacity was 23 quarts. I do not know if the A/T cooler was "supersized" or not. I am just glad that the MH never overheats, and the temperature gauge barely budges from its normal position when the engine gets exercised. In fact, until I changed the coolant, I never had to add any. Son of a gun!

I have to log off now. Until I have something interesting to tell...

Onward Ho!
Old 04-22-2015, 02:07 PM   #16886
Recycles dryer sheets

Called in a theft report to the county sheriff's office. Scoundrels made off with two split rail posts, pulled right out of the ground, and eight rail sections. Before photo was when our dog helped me stain it last summer, after was as I found it this morning when going to get the mail. WT@%^&
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (125.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg after.jpg (146.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 04-22-2015, 03:44 PM   #16887
Give me a forum ...

What a strange thing for someone to steal! I'm guessing less than $100 of materials? Someone must be pretty desperate.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:55 PM   #16888
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, about $91 for the posts and rails from the big orange box. But I figured might as well throw in a gallon of stain and something for my labor so I claimed it as $300. I'm sure they have an APB out for the perps already - not!
Old 04-22-2015, 05:17 PM   #16889
Give me a forum ...

Today I finished turning this

UpStreetLogsBefore.jpg

into this

UpStreetLogsAfter.jpg

and this

UpStreetLogsCut.jpg

Now I have to split them.

Every year I say "I'm getting too old for this," but this year I got an offer I couldn't refuse. All those logs were delivered to my driveway, free, of course.

I had kicked myself for buying a smaller model of chainsaw (250) partly because it was cheaper, and partly because it was lighter. But a few weeks ago I modified the muffler and carb, and now it really screams.

I'm extra sore from moving those logs around. Good paleo exercise, I guess.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:26 PM   #16890
Administrator

Getting ready for the summer heat! Since my AC is already not able to keep up with the heat, I got my HVAC guy to do a "spring checkup" this morning. Turns out I need a new evaporator coil but at $1,888 installed, this is not going to be a budget breaker. He'll install that on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, I decided that my very heavy loveseat in the den was a little too close to the AC filter grate, so I got Frank to help me move it away from that grate and into my home gym room. This turned out like a Dagwood and Blondie cartoon, as that simple task ballooned and we ended up having to move nearly every piece of furniture in both rooms.

And finally we went to Ace Hardware so I could buy another crate of AC filters, so I'm all set for summer. Somehow in the middle of all this we managed to make it to the gym and I completely over-did it, doing a new cardio workout. I'm bushed!

Tonight we are going out for a steak dinner. I think we earned it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-22-2015, 06:56 PM   #16891
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hung out at the mancave, watched the snow fall all day, nursing some coffee, none of it stuck on driveway or roads. Took a break to go figure skating in Johnstown, then back to the cave for more snow gazing. On the way home at the top of one of the mountains there was about a half inch of snow, heavy fog. Within a mile of the house the sun was out and no sign of precip.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:21 PM   #16892
Recycles dryer sheets

what did you do today?

Our downstairs powder room has had a wet spot on the wall to the left of the pedestal sink for several years. We attributed it to our young son splashing water from the sink while washing his hands. But he stopped using that room several weeks ago yet the spot on the wall was still moist to the touch.

So today I decided to cut out a small section of the drywall to see what was going on. Blackened framing behind it, so I keep cutting and keep cutting until I found a water pipe about five feet from the floor leaking at the elbow.

I'll end up removing the pedestal sink and about 15sf of drywall, resolder the elbow, remediate the mold, put up new drywall, texture and paint. Will probably spend about $100 on supplies but figure I'm saving a thousand or more.

That's what I did today.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-22-2015, 09:11 PM   #16893
Moderator Emeritus

We went to see the Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel at the cheap seats theater. It got hohum reviews but we enjoyed it--the story is on the light side, but that cast (Judith Dench, Maggie Smith, Bill Nighy, etc.) is most enjoyable and Richard Gere was a fun addition.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:36 AM   #16894
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After several days of deciding, went ahead and chopped off a tree(?) root that was approaching the corner of my house and a downspout. Consensus on internet was that the root may end up sucking too much water away from the foundation, allowing earth to settle, causing problems.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:41 AM   #16895
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Took a 3 mile walk this morning, broke the 20 minute mile, seriously humid.
Need a combination sunblock/bug repellent.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:55 AM   #16896

Yesterday was busier than I prefer now that I'm retired. Dropped the kids off at school at 7:20 (their school has "early bells"). Drove to my Italian class. Found out we have a test on Monday, a formal presentation due, a journal entry due (14 sentances using future tense)... Right after class I scurried across campus and to the high school next door to register my eldest for high school next year. Space is limited in the International Baccalaureate school within a school - so I wanted to get that done as a priority. From there I scurried back across the college campus to where I'd parked. I had just enough time to make an appointment I had with our insurance agent. It was an informative meeting, although he did broach "retirement plans" he offers, but I shut that down.

Came home, had lunch, made pie crust and got that in the fridge... then headed out to pick the kids up. Upon return coerced kids into doing all homework and piano practice while I made pumpkin pie (from frozen puree I'd thawed out - last of the pumpkins we grew last fall). Took older son to batting practice after dinner.

Today is mellower. Started with dropping the kids at the bus stop and taking the dog down to the beach. It's been low-low-low tide so my walks are extended because I can head further south and north. MyTracks says I clocked over 3 miles today. Now I'm trying to get motivated to study for Monday's test.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:06 AM   #16897
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Took a 3 mile walk this morning, broke the 20 minute mile, seriously humid.
Need a combination sunblock/bug repellent.
You've got that right. In another thread I was saying that the bugs in FL weren't as bad as everybody said. But I was outside working on an electric outlet on the side of the house, and I was being drained by mosquitos at a rate of about 1 pint/hour. Obviously I didn't know what I was talking about. And I don't think the high temp has been much below 90 since late March.

Get a big old floppy hat. DW has a few.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #16898
Moderator Emeritus

Results of annual physical: Good shape, good lungs and heart (previous long distance runner continuing benefits), but need to lose 25 pounds. Well, thanks Doc!

Started a low carb eating routine. Got a bunch of high protein/low carb shakes from Sam's Club for starters. Goodby sweets.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #16899
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=W2R;1584942]Getting ready for the summer heat! Since my AC is already not able to keep up with the heat, I got my HVAC guy to do a "spring checkup" this morning. Turns out I need a new evaporator coil but at $1,888 installed, this is not going to be a budget breaker. He'll install that on Tuesday.

/QUOTE]

That price seems high . I had mine replaced last year and it was $1800 but that included a crane $700 since my house is elevated .
Old 04-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #16900
Administrator

Did I mention that going out for a romantic steak dinner with my honey was so much fun last night? We had such a wonderful time. I am so lucky to have him in my life.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Closed Thread