Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 03:00 PM   #16921
Full time employment: Posting here.

Busy day today, almost ready to relax. Up about 5:30 am, surfed the web, watched a couple of tutorials on some new software for my CNC router. Read the paper online in bed when the DW woke about 7:00 am. Then we walked the dogs, cleaned the alpaca barn and fed the alpacas. Barn chores only take about 15 minutes if we don't have any medical work to do. I worked at house we're building for sister in law and father in law, painting was finished yesterday so started installing all the electric fixtures, switches, and outlets. Decided that one of the pre-hung doors we installed was opening the wrong way so I reversed the hinges, will have some patch work to do but should turn out alright. Got 75% of the wiring done so good progress. Made a "30 minute" mozzarella from some milk that was nearing it's end time, tastes great. On our way out to the barn for the afternoon clean up and feeding, pizza and a movie before bedtime which comes early around here.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2015, 03:03 PM   #16922
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday was our annual alpaca shearing- 9 boys, all sheared in about 90 minutes. Here's a picture after we were done.

Weather turned cold here this week so the coats that my wife made for the guys last week were put to use!

Old 04-24-2015, 03:15 PM   #16923
Moderator Emeritus

All my house guests are out playing tourist, so I'm here at home prepping for a large BBQ this evening. I've got an hour of down time to kill!

And people wonder what I do all day...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-24-2015, 03:37 PM   #16924
Moderator Emeritus

As DW's last day at work is nearing, I am feeling some trepidation. This morning, I tried to carve out a second desk space in our small apartment so that we can each have our own quiet place to write, do artistic projects, or use our computers. I am pretty pleased with the results.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:51 PM   #16925
Recycles dryer sheets

DH and I took DD to the zoo. It was a fun day but DD and I are both wiped out from walking around for so long.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:27 PM   #16926
Recycles dryer sheets

3 hour session at the gym. Cardio and weights.

I am now stapled to the couch and will not move unless I REALLY have to. This all better be worth it this summer when I hit the beach in my leopard-print Speedo.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:58 PM   #16927
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Busy day today, almost ready to relax. Up about 5:30 am, surfed the web, watched a couple of tutorials on some new software for my CNC router. Read the paper online in bed when the DW woke about 7:00 am. Then we walked the dogs, cleaned the alpaca barn and fed the alpacas. Barn chores only take about 15 minutes if we don't have any medical work to do. I worked at house we're building for sister in law and father in law, painting was finished yesterday so started installing all the electric fixtures, switches, and outlets. Decided that one of the pre-hung doors we installed was opening the wrong way so I reversed the hinges, will have some patch work to do but should turn out alright. Got 75% of the wiring done so good progress. Made a "30 minute" mozzarella from some milk that was nearing it's end time, tastes great. On our way out to the barn for the afternoon clean up and feeding, pizza and a movie before bedtime which comes early around here.

CNC, dogs, and Alpacas- life doesn't get much better than that!

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Old 04-24-2015, 11:59 PM   #16928
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Weather turned cold here this week so the coats that my wife made for the guys last week were put to use!
Aww, they are too cute in their coats for words. What a great hobby.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 04-25-2015, 12:02 AM   #16929
Give me a forum ...

We had dinner and drinks at a friend's yacht club and watched a sailboat race.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 04-25-2015, 06:12 AM   #16930
Give me a forum ...

For the past two hours watched thick white global warming cover the grass, flowers and trees. So far about inch and a a half. Weather service claims it should stop by around 10 AM. The woodstove is well stoked and cranking out the heat.

DW is most unhappy having to drag out her winter coat and boots from the depths of the closets. Luckily the windshield snow brush is still on the front seat of my winter beater truck.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:30 PM   #16931
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are driving back from our musician son's last concert as a college student. When I think what passes as music in the larger world compared to the amazing compositions and talented musicians I've had the privilege to hear these past five years, I feel a bit dismayed. So I'm feeling a bit sad today. His school has a phenomenal program and an amazing concert hall. I will miss this place and this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-25-2015, 06:02 PM   #16932

Had quite the eventful morning. It was already hectic/stressed because both my sons had baseball games - in two different places at the same time. To complicate things further - my husband was working his required "snack shack" hours and we were temporarily down to one car - DH's truck which only sits 3. (We're a family of 4.)

Ok - get older son to his game, younger son to his game, hubby to snack shack, and return back to younger son's game. About 30 minutes into the game another parent comes over and says he's got a mom from my older son's game on the phone... Older son had taken a ball to the face. I drive over to his field and it's pretty horrific - lots of bleeding, lots of swelling. My son had been batting (and had just swung and struck out) when the catcher tries to throw to 3rd to get out a player who was stealing 3rd. My son's face was in the way. Even more frustrating - the strike out was the 3rd out - so the play was completely unnecessary. (But the catcher feels awful about it.)

I head off to the ER... CT scan shows lots of fractures in his face, orbital socket, nose, nasal bones - etc.... Fortunately, not so bad he need surgery - but it's not pretty. So 4 hours later we're discharged with instructions for ice packs, ibuprofen, and prophylactic antibiotics for the nasal area. We'll be seeing the ENT doc this week for follow up.

I picked a bad year to switch to a high deductible plan. Younger son just got his broken elbow cast off a month ago. Oye.

Keep your fingers crossed that the "no surgery" ruling holds... apparently it will be up to the ENT about that.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:13 PM   #16933

I hope they made sure your son's vision in that eye is ok too.

If he has double vision at any time a muscle entrapment is possible. Decreased vision in the involved eye means the eye is injured too. That is more urgent.

Just the doc in me coming out.

Good luck!

Old 04-25-2015, 08:08 PM   #16934

Went 4-wheeling with the club today. I arranged for them to come to the kid's camp which is right next to the 4-wheeling trails. We had a great day of 4-wheeling followed by dinner at the camp for about 40 people from the club. A great day all around!
Old 04-25-2015, 08:14 PM   #16935

rodi, as soon as I read about your older son I thought, "isn't this the poster with a kid with an injured elbow?"

Ouch, this one sounds worse!

Good luck with all this. It sounds painful.

How old are the two sons?
Old 04-25-2015, 08:27 PM   #16936

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Had quite the eventful morning. It was already hectic/stressed because both my sons had baseball games - in two different places at the same time. To complicate things further - my husband was working his required "snack shack" hours and we were temporarily down to one car - DH's truck which only sits 3. (We're a family of 4.)

Ok - get older son to his game, younger son to his game, hubby to snack shack, and return back to younger son's game. About 30 minutes into the game another parent comes over and says he's got a mom from my older son's game on the phone... Older son had taken a ball to the face. I drive over to his field and it's pretty horrific - lots of bleeding, lots of swelling. My son had been batting (and had just swung and struck out) when the catcher tries to throw to 3rd to get out a player who was stealing 3rd. My son's face was in the way. Even more frustrating - the strike out was the 3rd out - so the play was completely unnecessary. (But the catcher feels awful about it.)

I head off to the ER... CT scan shows lots of fractures in his face, orbital socket, nose, nasal bones - etc.... Fortunately, not so bad he need surgery - but it's not pretty. So 4 hours later we're discharged with instructions for ice packs, ibuprofen, and prophylactic antibiotics for the nasal area. We'll be seeing the ENT doc this week for follow up.

I picked a bad year to switch to a high deductible plan. Younger son just got his broken elbow cast off a month ago. Oye.

Keep your fingers crossed that the "no surgery" ruling holds... apparently it will be up to the ENT about that.

Rodi, I'm so sorry to read of your son's injuries. I hope he heals well and soon.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:42 PM   #16937

Just learned that a cousin died this morning in a camping accident. He was sleeping in a hammock in Stephen F Austin state park. A bad storm came through and blew down the tree that his hammock was in. The tree fell on him.

He was 64 and was retiring early next year. He was also a scout leader and had probably slept in that tree hundreds of times over the last twenty years.

Makes my decision to leave work this year at 54 a no brainer. Life is short and none of us get out alive.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:29 PM   #16938

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
I hope they made sure your son's vision in that eye is ok too.

If he has double vision at any time a muscle entrapment is possible. Decreased vision in the involved eye means the eye is injured too. That is more urgent.

Just the doc in me coming out.

Good luck!

Thanks for this info. The doctor at the ER didn't mention this.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:39 PM   #16939

Rodi, I am so sorry to hear about your son's injuries. I hope that he will heal with no surgeries and there is not an eye problem.

Lisa, I am terribly sorry to hear about your cousin. It sounded like he was a good person. You are right, there are no guarantees in life. Shame he did not get to enjoy some retirement.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:52 PM   #16940
Recycles dryer sheets

Rodi, I am so sorry to hear about your son's injuries. How stressful that must have been for everyone. I hope he recovers as quickly as possible.
Closed Thread