Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 12:17 AM   #16941
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Just learned that a cousin died this morning in a camping accident. He was sleeping in a hammock in Stephen F Austin state park. A bad storm came through and blew down the tree that his hammock was in. The tree fell on him.

He was 64 and was retiring early next year. He was also a scout leader and had probably slept in that tree hundreds of times over the last twenty years.

Makes my decision to leave work this year at 54 a no brainer. Life is short and none of us get out alive.

Holy crap. Talk about a freak accident. Sorry for your loss, Lisa.

Carpe diem.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 02:20 AM   #16942
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rodi - So sorry to hear about your son. I hope he doesn't need surgery.

Today I spent the most of the day decluttering, picking out stuff out to donate and organizing the house. I realized we don't have enough decorative storage baskets to help with books, mail, keys and odds and ends laying about. I replaced some of the none functional bric a brac with baskets to hold all the little clutter.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 04-26-2015, 08:14 AM   #16943

Rodi, hopefully this will be another future story with a happy ending. Adolescent and teenage boys are a challenge.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:05 AM   #16944
Give me a forum ...

My very first at bat in a HS baseball game, a scrimmage at that, the pitcher threw two perfect strikes, outside corner at the knees, then threw a sweeping curve that didn't...

Luckily, all I got was a very fat lip out of the deal.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 04-26-2015, 09:14 AM   #16945
Moderator Emeritus

Rodi, I hope that the kid's injuries are not serious and that his vision is not affected. As others said...Teenage boys!" (We raised two girls...so different in some regards).

What a freak accident. Sorry for your loss, Lisa.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:30 AM   #16946
Give me a forum ...

Rodi , Hope your son is okay !
Lisa, Sorry for your loss !
Old 04-26-2015, 09:49 AM   #16947
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Rodi , Hope your son is okay !
Lisa, Sorry for your loss !
+1 We were camping in Canada a number of years ago and a nasty storm swept through the area, resulting in a number of downed trees. A couple days later we heard that in another part of the park a tree fell on a tent with people sleeping in it, killing one of them. One of those unfortunate "when your time is up" type of things.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:37 PM   #16948

Rodi, I also hope all turns out okay.

Yesterday I was dragged we went to a dance recital for DW's 5 and 9 year old grandnieces, and I was to get photos of this momentous event. Since the stage lighting was dim (when the rest of the auditorium is dark any light looks bright) I was shooting at ISO 800 and 1/15 second so there were lots of thowaways. Out of 247 frames shot about 80 were worth keeping but DW is happy and that's what counts. The dinner and such afterward was much more enjoyable than the 3 hours crammed in a seat.

And I'm now much better at picking out the instant in a dance routine when the action stops for 1/15 of a second....
Old 04-26-2015, 04:52 PM   #16949

I spent the afternoon looking for Assisted Living facilities for Mom. No decisions made yet, but I'd say it's now more likely than not.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:01 PM   #16950
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I'm really living dangerously this week... I took the chains off the plow truck and disconnected the plow. Last night was the first rain for the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
You did what? Around here that would result in an immediate snowfall!

Seriously though, Mt. Mansfield reported 3 inches of snow in the last 24 hours and is expecting 1-3 inches tonight. Enough already!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
When I lived in Colorado some decades ago, it was not too unusual to get snow in early June. I would be much too nervous to live that dangerously.
Well... As you may have guessed, it is snowing heavily today. Sigh. I don't plan to put the chains back on, but I may have to hook the plow back up.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:26 PM   #16951
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Rodi, I also hope all turns out okay.
+1

I can't even imagine how awful it must feel to get a phone call and to find out your kid is injured like that. My best wishes for his swift recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I spent the afternoon looking for Assisted Living facilities for Mom. No decisions made yet, but I'd say it's now more likely than not.
Ouch, that must have been a tough day, too. Hopefully after she is moved in (if that happens), you will find that the arrangement provides you with much peace of mind. At least, when my mother did that I was finally able to relax, because I knew she was being cared for and they were looking after her needs at all times.

As for what I did today, I went to a very high end furniture store here in New Orleans (that I had never set foot in before in my entire life, for obvious reasons). There, I bought a nice, comfortable easy chair in studded burgundy leather. It is just right for me and I got the matching ottoman, too. Thank you, Mr. Stock Market for making this kind of splurge a little more affordable this year.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-26-2015, 05:46 PM   #16952
Moderator Emeritus

Pulled a Cat 5 cable to the spare bedroom from a drop down in the attic. Man it was a bit warm up there. Added the second Roku Box to the spare bedroom TV for the temp living arrangement of step-son-in-law (2nd divorce).

Washed and waxed the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe for our upcoming trip to St. Louis next week.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:48 PM   #16953
Recycles dryer sheets

Had lunch with a good friend then did some puppy-proofing (pup comes home with us Wednesday) and organizing in the house. Stopped at the pet store for a few more supplies and for an ID dog tag.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:01 PM   #16954
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's a lot of work. When I went through that, I was lucky enough to get referrals and recommendations from some of the places I talked to. Each one seems to look best after certain types of people, and if you can describe your parent well enough, they can often offer suggestions as to where they can best be accommodated. I felt the suggestions I got were very valuable.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:58 PM   #16955

Worked the flower/shrubbery beds today. 60 bags of red lava rock & 13 bags of mulch, plus put down weed barriers under all of that stuff. My aching back.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
Old 04-26-2015, 11:30 PM   #16956
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
...Thank you, Mr. Stock Market for making this kind of splurge a little more affordable this year.
Rut-roh. That sounds like a thinly veiled w-word to me.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:45 PM   #16957

Quote:
Sorry you're having to go through this. I hope you find a good place for your mom and that she's on board with this.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:33 AM   #16958

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Ouch, that must have been a tough day, too. Hopefully after she is moved in (if that happens), you will find that the arrangement provides you with much peace of mind. At least, when my mother did that I was finally able to relax, because I knew she was being cared for and they were looking after her needs at all times.
Thanks. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Better care and peace of mind for all of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
That's a lot of work. When I went through that, I was lucky enough to get referrals and recommendations from some of the places I talked to. Each one seems to look best after certain types of people, and if you can describe your parent well enough, they can often offer suggestions as to where they can best be accommodated. I felt the suggestions I got were very valuable.
Interesting. I would not have thought to ask one facility for recommendations, but there is no reason why not. Thanks for suggesting that.

It is amazing just how much I have picked up over the past 4-5 years, mostly from or inspired by forum discussions here on LTC, trusts and and managing the finances of a parent. Beginning with Nords' threads on his father, I think I've read every single post and link on these topics, especially LTC, and now can't even imagine what it would be like without this preparation.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:19 AM   #16959
Full time employment: Posting here.

Flew down to Marathon Fl for lunch. The young man at the airport recommended Lazy Days and drove us there. The food was good, the place was not crowded, and the view was nice. It was the first time we flew over water, it was only about 30 miles so it really wasn't a big deal. The wife was a little worried about it, but now she is good with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (176.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 04-27-2015, 08:13 PM   #16960

Reflected on my luck and ability to be RE. I used to w*rk in Baltimore, MD on North Avenue where all the current fracas and mayhem are happening. Even more grateful to be more than three hours drive away from that hell hole charm city.