Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 08:28 PM   #16961
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Played a fun game of golf with friends friends at a 9 hole course that was new to me, followed by a pleasant conversation over a beer on their deck.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2015, 09:02 PM   #16962
Administrator

Today we got hammered by those storms that beat up Texas a few days ago. Whew. Tornados, torrential rains, hail, flooding, power lines down everywhere, power outages, and fallen trees. Our straight line winds in New Orleans gusted as high as 100 mph according to the TV news, though I don't know if that's official and rather doubt it. Twelve train cars were blown off the nearest bridge across the Mississippi River, and some roofs were blown completely away.

EXCLUSIVE: Watch as strong winds knock over a train in Jefferson Parish | WGNO

Thanks, Texas! I think we sent these storms off towards Mississippi, although apparently tonight and tomorrow are expected to be a repeat of today.

- - H. Melville, 1851
what did you do today?
Old 04-27-2015, 11:52 PM   #16963
Recycles dryer sheets

what did you do today?

We still had storms in TX last night and our power was out, beeping woke DH up at 5AM-ish when it came back on. Sorry for the loss of life at the park.

Tree guy came to assess trees he strapped and pruned 2 years ago. The elm is doing well but the pecan with strapping needs more limbs removed and another pecan has 1-2 dead branches. $ but not as bad as last time. A large limb (like 1/3 of a neighbor's tree) fell on their garage last night. You can see it from my backyard. Nothing as bad as our old house in PA when a 100+ year old tree came crashing through the roof from an ice storm (we were preparing to go out there when it happened).

Put an offer in to a condo in Mexico and it was accepted. Yikes! Will be going down there in less than 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-28-2015, 05:04 AM   #16964
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Today we got hammered by those storms that beat up Texas a few days ago. Whew. Tornados, torrential rains, hail, flooding, power lines down everywhere, power outages, and fallen trees. Our straight line winds in New Orleans gusted as high as 100 mph according to the TV news, though I don't know if that's official and rather doubt it. Twelve train cars were blown off the nearest bridge across the Mississippi River, and some roofs were blown completely away.
Was wondering how you made out when I saw the news. That was unbelievable video footage of those train cars being blown off the rails.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:38 AM   #16965
Recycles dryer sheets

Packing packing packing and off to Europe for vaca..unfortunately no direct flights so its a 2 stop day at the airport for me.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:57 AM   #16966

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Today we got hammered by those storms that beat up Texas a few days ago. Whew. Tornados, torrential rains, hail, flooding, power lines down everywhere, power outages, and fallen trees. Our straight line winds in New Orleans gusted as high as 100 mph according to the TV news, though I don't know if that's official and rather doubt it.
It looks like you can't catch a break with the weather. Hopefully you made it through unharmed. We caught the outer edge of that storm. Nothing like what you got, but yesterday I saw hail for the first time in Florida.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:20 AM   #16967
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday our internet connection (DSL) was finally upgraded from a 1.5mbs to 3.9mbs. The central office did an upgrade some months back and I've been going back and forth with our telephone company on why they couldn't get our service to the higher speed.

Yesterday, a local tech finally figured out the error in their provisioning so the changes they were making were actually being made to a line that wasn't in service. I was able to get the local tech to look in to the problem for me when we were having service connected for the house my in-laws are building on our property. I was actually able to watch an Amazon Prime movie in high definition last evening.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:31 AM   #16968
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Yesterday our internet connection (DSL) was finally upgraded from a 1.5mbs to 3.9mbs. The central office did an upgrade some months back and I've been going back and forth with our telephone company on why they couldn't get our service to the higher speed.

Yesterday, a local tech finally figured out the error in their provisioning so the changes they were making were actually being made to a line that wasn't in service. I was able to get the local tech to look in to the problem for me when we were having service connected for the house my in-laws are building on our property. I was actually able to watch an Amazon Prime movie in high definition last evening.
My area should be getting "up to 100 megabits per second" very soon.

Telus invests $100M in fibre - West Kelowna News - Castanet.net
Old 04-28-2015, 11:23 AM   #16969
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Was wondering how you made out when I saw the news. That was unbelievable video footage of those train cars being blown off the rails.
We were just missed by those storms that hit N.O. as W2R describes. They were 25 miles north of us and step daughter's house lost power and downed trees were everywhere. The kids borrowed our portable generator as power was not expected to be restored for several days.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:38 AM   #16970
Administrator

They told us to expect more of the same all night last night, and even worse today. Nothing has happened and I just looked and saw nothing on the radar.

I visualize our local weather forecasters just submitting a "more of the same" prediction every day, and heading for the nearest bar. I will be surprised if we have a repeat of that storm today.

Luckily, I didn't have any damage and only lost power for about ten minutes. It did put a damper on our plans (literally! though it was more than damp here) because I felt more comfortable hunkering down at home instead of going out.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-28-2015, 12:00 PM   #16971
Recycles dryer sheets

I am not quite sure if us folks still w*rking are invited to play, but retirement related:

Started the application via phone for a HELOC on my 2nd home/future retirement home with TIAA Direct. This is a loan I intend to NEVER use, but I want to have it in our back pocket and all set up while still employed. Our credit scores were still great (>800) and if the home appraises out as I hope, the rate will be prime - 0.25. (lol rate doesn't matter if I am not going to borrow against it - right?)

Hopefully this will be the last property-related loan app I ever complete in my life.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:11 PM   #16972

I washed the second-floor windows, and then one thing led to another so I ended up doing a deep cleaning of the master bathroom. The rest of the windows will have to wait until tomorrow because I'm headed out for a run.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:13 PM   #16973
Recycles dryer sheets

On a ferry right now heading over to my island acreage for a few weeks of gardening, firewood choppin', fishing, and kayaking.

Just saw a bull sea lion surface just below my window seat, blustering impressively

Love live FIRE.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:20 PM   #16974

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Reflected on my luck and ability to be RE. I used to w*rk in Baltimore, MD on North Avenue where all the current fracas and mayhem are happening.
I was thinking the same thing - "Sure glad I'm retired!" - today at the gym watching some of the video from last night. For sure I'd have either been called out to assist or had to work 12-hour days to make up for the ones that were called out.

W2R, so glad you made it okay through that storm. I've never seen a train blown off the tracks before!
Old 04-29-2015, 03:49 PM   #16975

Ho dato una presentazione orale in la mia classe di Italiano questa mattina.

It was on the food of Sicily - and I brought in homemade almond cookies that taste just like the ones we had when were... soft and chewy, a hint of citrus... yummy. We also got back our previous test (from a few weeks ago) and I got an A.

I'm now trying to get ahold of the opthomology department for my son's baseball injury... but they must all be at a late lunch since no one is answering.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:51 PM   #16976

Readied my pontoon boat (changed oil and gear lube) for its 2015 launch on Friday. Grabbed a chunk of cherry that I sawed down last fall, and started to turn a bowl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cherry bowl.jpg (621.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 04-29-2015, 05:23 PM   #16977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Grabbed a chunk of cherry that I sawed down last fall, and started to turn a bowl.
That's going to take a while! Yeah, I know, just cut away anything that doesn't look like a bowl....

I love cherry wood. Anything made from it is going to look great.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:26 PM   #16978

Old 04-30-2015, 06:19 AM   #16979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That's going to take a while! Yeah, I know, just cut away anything that doesn't look like a bowl....

I love cherry wood. Anything made from it is going to look great.
Cherry is an awesome wood. This chunk has a thick layer of light colored sapwood. My "bowl" will probably be around 3-4" in diameter when I get done
Old 04-30-2015, 08:04 AM   #16980
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Cherry is an awesome wood. This chunk has a thick layer of light colored sapwood. My "bowl" will probably be around 3-4" in diameter when I get done
I've handled millions of board feet of cherry. One of my favorite hardwoods. More beatiful and lighter than oak or hickory. Fresh sawn it has a powerful aroma of cherry gum.

IIRC the thickness of sapwood to heartwood has to do with the age(younger trees have more sapwood), but also the growth rate of the tree. Slower growing climates(colder) didn't have as much sapwood.

Rarely you would come across some with some burls in it. Enjoy, post a photo if you can.