Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #1681

Went to Cook County (chicago) to do some deed research. It was like a ghost town in there. Apparently not may deed transactions these days.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #1682
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yesterday, went with an OLLI group to tour the Gettysburg Battle fields, lunched at the Dobbins House and ended with a tour of the Eisenhower Farm. We had a very knowledgable and enthusiastic tour guide. I left the house at 7:15AM and returned at 9:45PM. A former co-worker took the day off and went with me. After hearing her talk about what is going on at my old workplace, I feel so fortunate to be retired!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:38 PM   #1683

DW took off with the girls for a week. I took her to the airport, came home and didn't do anything else. How much trouble am I in?
Old 06-11-2009, 09:24 PM   #1684
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Got gas, now $2.599/gal. Price is jacked up about every 5 days lately 7 to 19 cents /gal.

Visit greasy spoon for coffee and BS. Lately even they are slow for lunch crowds.

Today was nearly dead except for a few of us who gave up w*rk.

The scene around the coffee maker and cash register:
Cam: Canon SD1100 IS, full auto , available lighting, no flash. For those who want to know.
The greasy spoon sure is devoid of grease.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 06-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #1685
Dryer sheet wannabe

Watched it pour nearly all day and stay cool -- same recipe we've had for seemingly the last month. I am getting SO DEPRESSED by all this rain -- we live lakeside and can't do anything fun at all -- it is like being cooped up like in winter. What is up with the rotten weather this year in the northeast?? Usually it is in the 80's and lots of sun by now......
Old 06-12-2009, 12:56 AM   #1686
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DD and DGD are in town this week, so I'm doing baby duty. Having a blast!

Other than that, just passed 200 bags of mulch for the season. I'm freecycling (new term for me). The guy who delivers the newspapers at Wallyworld takes the previous day's papers to the recycle bins. I grab the packages of unused papers and use them in my garden beds as weed barriers, then cover them with mulch. Incredibly time consuming, but effective and greenish, beats putting down Roundup.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:58 AM   #1687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
The greasy spoon sure is devoid of grease.
Figure of speech for diner's in general. One of the first slang expressions I learned in English.

Yes the place is old, but extremely clean and neat. 70 + year old owner insists on having separate help for picking up dishes, scrubbing counter and tables after each customer and re-setting place mats, silverware.

One of the many reasons I like the place. Besides everybody here knows my name, my coffee usually is on the counter before I make it in the door. Ah, the small joys of life .
Old 06-12-2009, 09:51 AM   #1688
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post

One of the many reasons I like the place. Besides everybody here knows my name, my coffee usually is on the counter before I make it in the door. Ah, the small joys of life .
Brief continuing encounters, similar to but nicer than those with co-w*rkers. I'm thinking you don't have to be empl*yed to have those kinds of relationships.

Stopped in the library the other day; I've known the check-out guy for ten years, thought I would miss him because I came in late in the day, didn't want him to see I was checking out "how-to-organize" books. He came on at 5:00 p.m., looked over and discussed everything I checked out and said, "I don't usually comment on what people check out." Oh yes he does! We've also had brief chats at bus stops about local news, just like water cooler chat. No way will I miss the "social interactions/friendship" at w*rk.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #1689
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Went to a going out of business sale at a local grocery. Only had 2 checkout lanes. Manager did a hot swap of cash register module while I (and many others) was in line.

Have a lot of patience since being retired.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:54 PM   #1690

Woke up at 6:30 to the beautiful sunrise in the west, all blue and pink. Gorgeous! Went back to sleep and got up at 9 am. Had some coffee and read email. Worked for one hour on my part time job.

Then went to lunch at a favorite restaurant with a friend. Shopping at my favorite store. Then back home to work for three hours.

Great day!
Old 06-12-2009, 11:36 PM   #1691
Give me a forum ...

Took DGD and her mom and DW to a movie today. Haven't been to one since Wall-E (which I thought was weak). And we had some old discount passes for that, so I didn't really notice the prices. We went to a 2:30 matinee, so the tickets were ONLY $7.50 each, with the 3 year old only costing $7. We smuggled in a couple drinks and some candy. A large soda there was $5.50. This was all very distressing to my cheapskate heart. I could almost have gotten a ticket to a Dead show for these prices.

Anyway, the movie was Up, which I had never even heard about beforehand. It was actually pretty good, although way too intense for the little'un. She was screaming and crying through parts of it. It would have been OK for her on DVD, but with the (relatively) big screen and loud sound system it was too intense. The happy ending made it all OK in the end, but it was rough sledding. Blew Wall-E away, though.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:28 AM   #1692
Give me a forum ...

I played a restaurant gig with a sax player who had been in my quartet, but who has been at Berklee School of Music for the last two years. Although his playing is more sophisticated now, it's so "out" that I liked his playing better before. That is, he plays a lot more weird atonal stuff. I'm not sure this audience liked it, although we got one $10 tip.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #1693
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Almost nothing.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #1694
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday...made pancakes and bacon for the volunteers doing food prep for a big clambake.
I ate lobster, shrimp, clams, drank beer. I managed to not overeat and kind of foraged on things all day.
Today...recovering from said festivites. I usually eat pretty simply and my stomach was sorta kinda queasy today. My guess is it was the beer and butter combo.
Relaxing while dh2b does yet more Vista OS updates on his desktop and laptop. I knew there was a reason I stuck with XP on my laptop.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #1695
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
Woke up at 6:30 to the beautiful sunrise in the west, all blue and pink. Gorgeous!
I almost missed this one. Where are you where the sun rises in the west?
Old 06-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #1696

Good catch. Anyone that sharp must still be w*rking.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:53 PM   #1697
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Good catch. Anyone that sharp must still be w*rking.
You want to step outside and repeat that?
Old 06-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #1698
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Maybe Oldbabe woke up at sunset?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 06-13-2009, 09:14 PM   #1699

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
You want to step outside and repeat that?
Duelling drinks at sunset rise?
Old 06-14-2009, 08:47 PM   #1700
Give me a forum ...

Had breakfast , went shopping then SO & I went bowling . We had not been bowling in several years so our scores were pitiful but it was fun . We then went to Anna Marie Island to have a drink overlooking the beach .All in all a fun day !