Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 10:43 PM   #17001
Moderator Emeritus

Maintenance at DWs parents today. New mailbox post; mend handrails on outside steps; measure and spec out new drapes to replace rotting ones; measure a patio table to replace broken glass (with plastic).

Sampled a 2013 V Sattui Gamay Rouge. Great wine for a hot day when slightly chiled.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2015, 01:54 AM   #17002
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I made Pho for lunch and after that we rented Imitation Game from Redbox.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 05-01-2015, 01:58 AM   #17003
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Good news ? (is there good news?) is that it is a the other arm than the one he broke the elbow on, a few months ago.

Aaaghhhh.
One of our kids in particular caused me to spend many hours of my life either in ER or the minor injury clinic. It tapered off by age 18.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 05-01-2015, 02:46 AM   #17004
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgirl02 View Post
Attachment 21573
Spent the day playing with our new lab puppy. We are totally smitten with her.

Oh, I am in love!
Old 05-01-2015, 07:19 AM   #17005

Quote:
I'm on the tour of all Kaiser Facilities in San Diego county today.

8am appt in Vista so my older son could see the pediatric opthomologist after his baseball accident this weekend. Good news - no issues. Bad news, got a call while there from my other son's school... he was in the nurses office with a wrist injury. I called DH and had him deal with that. 10am - at a different Kaiser facility in Clairemont, older son was checked out by the head and neck surgical team. Again, good news... while there are several fractures, there's no displacement at all - so it's just "be careful not to impact the face" and let it heal. Yay.

This afternoon we took younger son to his pediatrician (different Kaiser facility in Clairemont). Got the xray... They are worried it's a growth plate fracture - and there might be a distal fracture but the ped is deferring to the orthopedics department. It's splinted and we'll go see Ortho (at the main Kaiser facility in San Diego) on Tuesday.

Good news ? (is there good news?) is that it is a the other arm than the one he broke the elbow on, a few months ago.

Aaaghhhh.
Wow your kids really put their bodies to the limit! More good news is that the medical facility will have updated files making their next visit more streamlined.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:25 AM   #17006
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm on the tour of all Kaiser Facilities in San Diego county today.

8am appt in Vista so my older son could see the pediatric opthomologist after his baseball accident this weekend. Good news - no issues. Bad news, got a call while there from my other son's school... he was in the nurses office with a wrist injury. I called DH and had him deal with that. 10am - at a different Kaiser facility in Clairemont, older son was checked out by the head and neck surgical team. Again, good news... while there are several fractures, there's no displacement at all - so it's just "be careful not to impact the face" and let it heal. Yay.

This afternoon we took younger son to his pediatrician (different Kaiser facility in Clairemont). Got the xray... They are worried it's a growth plate fracture - and there might be a distal fracture but the ped is deferring to the orthopedics department. It's splinted and we'll go see Ortho (at the main Kaiser facility in San Diego) on Tuesday.

Aaaghhhh.
Hint: bubble wrap...massive quantities of the stuff.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 05-01-2015, 08:24 AM   #17007
Recycles dryer sheets

Scored 77 at golf yesterday. Handicap has gone from 14 to 11 in three months this spring. Amazing what nice weather can do.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:14 AM   #17008
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Yes, tendinitis. I spent 26 years on the keyboard and got carpal tunnel, RSI in upper body, and tendon damage in both hands. The good news is all that remains is the chronic tendinitis. It is manageable if I remember to not overdo any manual tasks.

Dental w*rk today was the final piece of the pie. These pop-in partials are the cat's meow. Here's the company website for Valplast
ValplastŪ Flexible Partials with a photo of a fuller partial denture appliance.
Here's some images
valplast images - Bing Images

I have two Valplast partials - a single and double tooth. If anyone wants to see a photo of mine, I'll be glad to oblige.

Any takers ?

...not doing anything of true substance...
what did you do today?
Old 05-01-2015, 10:59 AM   #17009

what did you do today?

Finally "caught" our infrequent visitor on the security camera. We've seen him or one of his cousins a few times over the past few years but this it the first time he got close enough to the house to trigger the cameras. This is why I don't put out bird feeders-- no sense in creating a "problem" bear. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1430495809.285749.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1430495823.802824.jpg

Edited below to attach larger photos.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:01 AM   #17010

Larger versionsImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1430496063.102732.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1430496073.656428.jpg
Old 05-01-2015, 12:06 PM   #17011
Give me a forum ...

Funny you should post that. We had a visitor of about the same size last night.

We have never had bear issues before since our bird feeder is on a shepherd's hook off of our deck which is one-story up from ground level. We knew this was the time of year that we should be taking the bird feeder down and we knew there was a bear in the area but we had never had problems and were enjoying all the birds that were visiting the feeder and had some seed that we wanted to get rid of.

So about 10 pm last night DW is in bed and I am watching tv and have headphones on for the tv sound to keep from waking up DW. I hear something out on the deck but thought it was just the wind. I go to the bathroom and when I get out DW has turned on the deck lights and the bird feeder, which was half full a short time earlier, is empty.

I go to the front window and peer down and can see the bear on the front lawn. Good size. So I get a broomstick out of the closet, go out on the deck and yell at it and hit the railing a few times with the broomstick and it boots off into the woods between us and our neighbors.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:10 PM   #17012
Give me a forum ...

Took a nice walk this morning and picked up litter along the way back and forth. For our roughly mile stretch, we collected almost a full kitchen sized bag of litter... mostly soda and beer bottles.

Visited with some friends who just returned from Florida along the way and then did some work around the yard and filled in a small spot that washed out on the edge of our private road. Still more to do but we'll chip it off a little at a time. No need to hurry.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:17 PM   #17013

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Hint: bubble wrap...massive quantities of the stuff.
Sometimes even heavy duty bubble wrap isn't enough ..
Old 05-01-2015, 03:52 PM   #17014

I did it! I finally paid for a blood test DW took last July.

It took 13 phone calls, for a total of a little more than 18 hours (mostly wait) over 6 1/2 months. The lab (Quest) resubmitted the bill to the insurer 4 times, coded differently each time, and the insurer (BCBS) finally agreed that the lab was indeed in-network, so negotiated rates applied. The original invoice was over $3600, the "insurance rate" cost was $340.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:07 PM   #17015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I did it! I finally paid for a blood test DW took last July.

It took 13 phone calls, for a total of a little more than 18 hours (mostly wait) over 6 1/2 months. The lab (Quest) resubmitted the bill to the insurer 4 times, coded differently each time, and the insurer (BCBS) finally agreed that the lab was indeed in-network, so negotiated rates applied. The original invoice was over $3600, the "insurance rate" cost was $340.
Wow. Congratulations? What a hassle. My doctor always used Quest for my routine blood tests, and BCBS *here* didn't give me any hassles about it. But still, Quest is such a giant facility, and their personnel so brusque, that to me, it seemed quite dehumanizing. I was glad to discover that my doctor has switched to using a little mom'n'pop place near his office so my next routine bloodwork will be there. Maybe it will be better.

As for what I have been doing lately... well, I got my new easy chair yesterday morning, thank goodness. After all the hassles of searching throughout numerous huge stores and showrooms for just the right one, and then waiting for delivery, and so on, I needed it desperately for some serious napping in the afternoon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chair_best.jpg (14.7 KB, 158 views)

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-01-2015, 06:03 PM   #17016
Recycles dryer sheets

I helped my 84 year old Mom spring clean her den. She wanted a Windows XP desk-top PC removed, so I now have it. I'll clean it up and then see if the Salvation Army is interested in it. I got her to pitch some other stuff, but there is so much more that she does not use that is just taking up space. So it turned out to be a somewhat frustrating afternoon for me.

Most of my family are clutter-nuts. I'm not. In fact, whenever I return home from visiting them, I go through my house and have the urge to purge even more.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:48 PM   #17017
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This chair is what retirement is all about: nice purchase, W2R

Old 05-01-2015, 08:04 PM   #17018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post

Thanks! I'm sitting in it right now. It is so comfortable, and something I have always wanted. Life is really good these days.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-01-2015, 08:13 PM   #17019
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post

Sweet setup. There is NOTHING like leather for comfort. I have a full size navy blue leather couch that swallows me up and puts me to sleep whenever I stretch out on it.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:42 PM   #17020
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Sweet setup. There is NOTHING like leather for comfort. I have a full size navy blue leather couch that swallows me up and puts me to sleep whenever I stretch out on it.
I can imagine! I have already fallen asleep once even in this chair. Your couch sounds amazing.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Closed Thread