Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 09:16 PM   #17041
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

WR2 sending good thoughts this home works out for you.

🐑

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #17042
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
WR2 sending good thoughts this home works out for you.
Thank you! I am so picky that it seems to be taking me forever to find my "dream house". This one could be it, if my offer is accepted.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-02-2015, 10:36 PM   #17043
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Me? Oh, um, er... I made an offer on another amazing, incredible, outrageously perfect house. This one is even more perfect than the one that got away that I offered on and didn't get last September.

My heart is all a-flutter, waiting to see if it will be accepted or not.

After I made the offer, F and I went out to celebrate. We'll celebrate again if it is accepted.
Good luck on this one, W2R.

MRG - Take it easy and I hope the doctor has good news for you on your next appointment.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 05-03-2015, 10:01 AM   #17044
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I attended a free shredding event yesterday, organized by the public library and a state senator's office.

There have been good discussions here about personal shredders that I followed and bought one, influenced by the discussion (I bought a Fellowes).

But I had a lot, so I decided to check it out, armed with bankers boxes of stuff to destroy. I thought, "well, better bring coffee and be prepared to wait".

No such thing, I rolled in and out within minutes. Then I remembered Nixon wasn't in office anymore.

If you have a similar bulk shredding need, keep an eye out in local papers, radio, and so on. Banks/credit unions will have similar events, too.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:08 AM   #17045
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Spent the afternoon in the ER. Haven't been able to catch my breath for the last couple days. Along with that my resting heart rate has been at 90 bpm. Anytime I walked up a flight of steps it would spike to 130. Those numbers aren't near normal for me.

Finally got concerned enough to have DW drive me out to ER. EKG, blood work, and chest x-ray and some Oxygen test. Gave me an IV with fluids and 1mg. Lorazpam. Suggested I was dehydrated, given the amount of water I drink, I have a hard time with that line of thinking.

Discharged with orders to see my PCP. Diagnosis written as "Heart pounding, shortness of breath and Sinus tachycardia". Geeze here I ignorantly thought the diagnosis would contain something I didn't tell them in triage(OK I had to google Sinus tachycardia, but it's what I said). I already had an appointment to see my PCP this Thursday. Guess I won't keel over till then. Or if I do DW can put what she collects in CDs, not have any worries.
MRG, good luck on getting this straightened out!

Dehydration is a strange condition. I am on a low carb diet (self inflicted) and the first week has me very dehydrated and drinking fluids a lot (but still seem to be dehydrated). Is your carb intake low?
Old 05-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #17046
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Me? Oh, um, er... I made an offer on another amazing, incredible, outrageously perfect house. This one is even more perfect than the one that got away that I offered on and didn't get last September.

My heart is all a-flutter, waiting to see if it will be accepted or not.

After I made the offer, F and I went out to celebrate. We'll celebrate again if it is accepted.
I am keeping my lucky fingers crossed for your success on this bid, W2R!
Old 05-03-2015, 10:49 AM   #17047
Give me a forum ...

This AM DW and I went birding at the local park and afterward stopped by the owl platform that I built with a friend. Amazingly we bolted it to the tree in January, it had an owl sitting by March and 3 chicks by April.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4150253B.jpg (575.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 05-03-2015, 01:55 PM   #17048

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Great analogy.

...It seems that over many years I've accumulated 42 pairs of dark dress socks (black, brown, dark olive, grey, navy)... do I keep them all because I have a place for them or do I toss some (how many?) because I don't have a need for 42 pairs of dress socks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
...You have enough to present a sock puppet production of Les Miz. Staging it will keep you busy for hours.

I took your advice and staged Les Miz earlier this morning on my front lawn. It surprised me that so many people were not willing to show up for a
once-in-a-life time event such as this (which included a 15% discount for groups of 12 or more). Maybe it wasn't a good idea to start the show at at 5:30 AM.

Got to run now: the second show commences at 12:30 and the concession stand person has not yet returned to set up.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:50 PM   #17049
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I took your advice and staged Les Miz earlier this morning on my front lawn. It surprised me that so many people were not willing to show up for a
once-in-a-life time event such as this (which included a 15% discount for groups of 12 or more). Maybe it wasn't a good idea to start the show at at 5:30 AM.

Got to run now: the second show commences at 12:30 and the concession stand person has not yet returned to set up.
Break a thumb, redduck!
Old 05-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #17050
Full time employment: Posting here.

I ran the Broad Street Run in Philadelphia. Ten miles straight down Broad Street with 40,000 others. This was my first time running Broad Street and I don't like crowds so I was a little apprehensive going in. But I managed to find enough personal space most of the time and it was a great day.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:23 PM   #17051

Quote:
Spent the afternoon in the ER.
Yikes, I hope your PCP can figure this out. But at least they apparently think it wasn't serious enough to admit you.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:49 PM   #17052
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

Dehydration is a strange condition. I am on a low carb diet (self inflicted) and the first week has me very dehydrated and drinking fluids a lot (but still seem to be dehydrated). Is your carb intake low?
Thanks aja8888.

Your giving me something to think about.

I've never been a carb counter so I've been reading on it. I wouldn't class myself as on low carb diet. Don't eat many of the bad carbs either, but I know I can make some improvements.

🐑
Old 05-03-2015, 03:59 PM   #17053
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

I tried a low carb diet a few years back and after a week or so my skin started to look like I had some kind of flaky skin condition similar to psoriasis, which I'd never had before in my entire life. After doing some Google searches, I think my skin was actually getting flaky and dried out from the diet. Weird because I wasn't limiting fluids - just carbs. It went back to normal went I started eating more carbs again.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 05-03-2015, 04:07 PM   #17054

Extracted both of my kayaks from their winter cradle on the garage ceiling. They are now on their summer rack, ready to be loaded the next pleasant day for the lake.

Also sprayed the annual showing of the tent carerpillar's tents by poking the spray nozzle into the net.

And DW just yelled from the kitchen..... Dinner!
Old 05-03-2015, 06:52 PM   #17055
Recycles dryer sheets

Got up late, had coffee, walked the dog in the park and enjoyed the wonderful weather. Came home and made roasted leeks with cream and tarragon. Saw that my cat Rose had something wrong with her left eye and now anticipating more money at the vet tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:53 PM   #17056
Recycles dryer sheets

Wonderful pic, Travelover!
Old 05-03-2015, 08:49 PM   #17057
Give me a forum ...

Mr B did a full "do not disturb" day at home. He is still struggling with his online coursew*rk to become an IRS recognized agent. I've never seen him stumped by any course. I am encouraging him to keep plugging away. It might turn out that he won't complete this goal. Time will tell...

So....I spent the entire day in my screened in porch, listening to FM radio and planting more seeds in Earthbox containers. Anything that can be planted as soon as the ground can be w*rked is done. My lettuce mix and peas are already up, about 1/2 inch tall. I have some beet greens (grown indoors) and red onion sets (grown for the tops only) going strong. Both are delicious eaten fresh off the plant.

My gardening buddy came up to return a container that I grew some heirloom tomato seedlings in. A great partnership...he gives me the saved seeds. I grow the seedlings in my grow room during the winter. He takes most of the plants to transplant to a 1 gallon container in his special enriched dirt formula. All will eventually go into his full size ground garden when we are clear of frost events. Yes, it can still get that cold at night here up until late May. Rare, but it happens.

I can almost taste those tomatoes he will share with us...

His garlic is already up and thriving. He planted 900+ cloves last fall. He used to just give it away, but I suggested he start charging to at least cover the cost of the fertilizer and labor. Mine will be free because I did the seedling growing.

I love this time of year...the trees are just budding, the birds are singing beautifully at dawn and dusk, and the bats living in the small homemade bat house on my back building, treat me to an evening aerial ballet.

Everything is coming alive. It is truly special to be able to see this natural awakening, way out here in the country, just east of the middle of Nowhere.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:19 PM   #17058
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Mr B did a full "do not disturb" day at home. He is still struggling with his online coursew*rk to become an IRS recognized agent. I've never seen him stumped by any course. I am encouraging him to keep plugging away. It might turn out that he won't complete this goal. Time will tell...

So....I spent the entire day in my screened in porch, listening to FM radio and planting more seeds in Earthbox containers. Anything that can be planted as soon as the ground can be w*rked is done. My lettuce mix and peas are already up, about 1/2 inch tall. I have some beet greens (grown indoors) and red onion sets (grown for the tops only) going strong. Both are delicious eaten fresh off the plant.

My gardening buddy came up to return a container that I grew some heirloom tomato seedlings in. A great partnership...he gives me the saved seeds. I grow the seedlings in my grow room during the winter. He takes most of the plants to transplant to a 1 gallon container in his special enriched dirt formula. All will eventually go into his full size ground garden when we are clear of frost events. Yes, it can still get that cold at night here up until late May. Rare, but it happens.

I can almost taste those tomatoes he will share with us...

His garlic is already up and thriving. He planted 900+ cloves last fall. He used to just give it away, but I suggested he start charging to at least cover the cost of the fertilizer and labor. Mine will be free because I did the seedling growing.

I love this time of year...the trees are just budding, the birds are singing beautifully at dawn and dusk, and the bats living in the small homemade bat house on my back building, treat me to an evening aerial ballet.

Everything is coming alive. It is truly special to be able to see this natural awakening, way out here in the country, just east of the middle of Nowhere.
Sounds like a wonderful day, Freebird! I agree about the joys of springtime, and also I love listening to the radio in retirement. Radio somehow got lost from my daily life during my later working years and can be very interesting.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-03-2015, 09:48 PM   #17059
Administrator

That amazing dream house is mine! That is to say, tonight the offer I made on my dream house was accepted by the seller. I am so pleased. This house is very similar to my present house, but with some upgrades that I wanted like a two car garage and a bigger shower.

The best part is that it is right next door to F's house. So, barring the unforeseen, we'll be next door neighbors soon. Our houses will be no more than 20 feet apart.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-03-2015, 09:49 PM   #17060
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Wheeeeeee!!!!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Closed Thread