Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 05:03 AM   #1701
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Planning our fifth anniversary together celebration. A 3 day trip to London. The difficult part is finding a good classy hotel close to the main tourist attractions-and in which smoking is allowed, at least in some of the rooms. I hope I´m not asking too much.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #1702
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Monday, Monday...da da da da da da...
so good to me...da da da da da da...

Laundry off and on, surfed, made spiced meat for taco salad tonight.
Big show today - I watched thunderstorm clouds gather, build up way high in the sky and go wild just north of my house.
So beautiful to watch.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #1703
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Planning our fifth anniversary together celebration. A 3 day trip to London. The difficult part is finding a good classy hotel close to the main tourist attractions-and in which smoking is allowed, at least in some of the rooms. I hope I´m not asking too much.
Congrats on your anniversary!

What I did today....worked at the police dept this a.m. Nearly got in a fight with a number one @#!, ahem, son of a gun.

Cooled off and went shopping for shoes. Found some great leather sandals that came half way up my leg...yowsahhhh! But I couldn't get the straps tight enough on my calves. Bummer.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:13 PM   #1704
Give me a forum ...

Nice bike ride today:

Old 06-15-2009, 04:24 PM   #1705
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Monday, Monday...da da da da da da...
so good to me...da da da da da da...
Even though I knew this was bait, I still couldn't resist.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-15-2009, 04:49 PM   #1706
Give me a forum ...

Our neighbor saw a mountain lion in her backyard yesterday.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #1707
Full time employment: Posting here.

I woke up WHENEVER I WANTED TO, drank coffee, piddled around. Then I mowed, edged, weeded the lawn. Made a trip to Home Depot to purchase flowers, mulch and a new sprinkler. Ate weird stuff for lunch. This ER gig is pretty cool.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #1708
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
This ER gig is pretty cool.

and the best part about it is some of us get paid for not working !
Old 06-15-2009, 08:51 PM   #1709
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Our neighbor saw a mountain lion in her backyard yesterday.
My mom called me yesterday. She had 2 black bears in her backyard. They pulled down her bird feeders and were feasting when she went out with her airhorn to chase them away. I told her I'm going to start planning how I'm going to spend my inheritence if she's turning suicidal.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #1710
Give me a forum ...

Pincushion day - last shot for overseas travel, only 1 today instead of 3.
I will be SO glad when this is over. Last time, I ran a slight fever for 1 day and my arm (2 shots) hurt very badly for a week. End of whine.

Rest of the day is wide open for major league goofing off.
Hmmmmm...what was that about idle minds again?
Old 06-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #1711
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I almost missed this one. Where are you where the sun rises in the west?
North pole.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #1712

Yucky rainy day on my day off. The motorcycle sits mournfully in the garage, across from the boat I can't use either because of the weather.

Went to the Dr. for a follow-up on the high BP, still 150/80 but that's down since starting the meds for it. Also discussed options for the sore knee. I do not like this "getting old" crap.

I'm a bachelor for a few days. DW is over taking care of a grandniece north of Baltimore with chicken pox while both parents work. Not much to do besides post here, read, watch TV.

End of whine.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #1713
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yucky rainy day on my day off. The motorcycle sits mournfully in the garage, across from the boat I can't use either because of the weather.
Someday you'll be able to return to being retired - and have your choice of "days off".
Quote:
Went to the Dr. for a follow-up on the high BP, still 150/80 but that's down since starting the meds for it. Also discussed options for the sore knee. I do not like this "getting old" crap.
Uh oh. Better hurry...
Old 06-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #1714
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thought about a parade, but too much traffic! Easier to relax and watch from TV! It's such a nice day for a parade though!
Maybe I'll go next year, Go Lakers!
Old 06-18-2009, 07:07 AM   #1715
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yucky rainy day on my day off. The motorcycle sits mournfully in the garage, across from the boat I can't use either because of the weather...
End of whine.
I am pleased to pick up where you left off...
Boat is still in my driveway. I will be launching this weekend, probably in the rain.
I've had my midlife crisis car out only maybe 5 times so far.
Water is still coming over the dam at local lake. Very unusual for this calendar date.
Raining and chilly today, same forecast for tomorrow, argh!
Next......?
Old 06-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #1716
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I am pleased to pick up where you left off...
Boat is still in my driveway. I will be launching this weekend, probably in the rain.
I've had my midlife crisis car out only maybe 5 times so far.
Water is still coming over the dam at local lake. Very unusual for this calendar date.
Raining and chilly today, same forecast for tomorrow, argh!
Next......?
Glad that SOMEBODY's got some rain. We are having what our local TV meteorologists are calling a "mini-drought". Basically what that means is that we don't get our usual afternoon summertime rains, that cut the heat so nicely. So, it has been pretty hot. Reminds me of when I lived in Texas.

As for what I did today - - got up in the dark due to the %^)(&* alarm clock, packed my lunch and got to work by 6 AM as usual. Less than 5 more months of this to go, though.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-18-2009, 09:20 AM   #1717

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Someday you'll be able to return to being retired - and have your choice of "days off".
I know. Actually I don't mind the job except for the time it takes. It's not at all difficult and $50+k/year jobs are very scarce in these parts. But that's also what paid for the motorcycle and allowed us to help out the FIL more than what I'd have felt comfortable with without the income from the job.

And I'd like to get the savings higher up to make up for the losses in the deferred compensation account (sort of a 401k). I am not optimistic that the losses there will be made up anytime soon so we're saving most of the "extra" income.

Like everyone else I just want to have my cake and eat it too. Once a month I buy two lottery tickets, realizing that what I'm buying for my $2 is daydreams.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #1718
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"and got to work by 6 AM as usual"
Small wonder you want to retire!
Old 06-18-2009, 10:53 AM   #1719
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
"and got to work by 6 AM as usual"
Small wonder you want to retire!
It's not as bad as it sounds, though I really want to sleep later all the time when I retire!

If I get to work at 6 AM, I can go home at 3:30 PM. That gives me time to do some errands after work, and to beat the traffic (somewhat). I could get to work as late as 8:30 AM, but then I couldn't go home until 6 PM.

The earlier I get there, the less traffic to battle in each direction. And in the wintertime, I don't feel safe leaving work after dark.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #1720
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
If I get to work at 6 AM, I can go home at 3:30 PM. That gives me time to do some errands after work, and to beat the traffic (somewhat). I could get to work as late as 8:30 AM, but then I couldn't go home until 6 PM.
I rarely commute any more, but when I do (into Austin, 75 miles each way), I usually leave the house between 4:30 and 5 AM, arrive between 6:00 and 6:30, and leave by around 3:00.

I hate getting up that early, but if there's one thing I hate even more, it's big city rush hour traffic. I've become really spoiled by living out here.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Closed Thread